Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

62mm SRT6 Pulley Available Now

Old 04-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: 62mm SRT6 Pulley Available Now

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Exactly, we are working with 12volts. My thought was the ECU might be limiting current pulled by the magnet.
The RCM supplies the 12v, the PTCM supplies the ground.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
more volts is not the answer.
The power of an electromagnet is determined by the wire size and number of windings in it.
The larger the wire size, the more amps you can apply.
The more windings, the more electromagnet force.
This rule applies from the smallest relay coil up the the CERN SuperCollider.

( The above is a gross oversimplification, but I think you get the gist )

Bottom line : You ain't gonna make the OEM SC clutch grab any harder by increasing volts or amps, it's doing all it can do with 14v and whatever amps it is drawing without blowing the fuse.
You would need what was called back in the good old slot car racing days, a 'rewind'.

Has anyone look to see if the clutch on the V8's are any stronger ?
I wouldn't be so quick to desmiss this concept - but maybe wait to hear some more feedback on magnet faces - maybe a separate thread/summary.
Nothing lost in having the discussion of boosting the magnet power.
Looking at the isentropic chart for the SC indicates you are probably at twice the original design SC power = twice the forces - but I'm sure the magnet had headroom to start with.

As with a smaller pulley and more boost being "within" the production design envelope of the car, the coil and amps may have capacity to be boosted. EG: Ignition coil boosters used on the 2.3L SLK230's pumping in 16V to the coil packs instead of 13.2-13.5V (that/s what my Woody cigarette lighter readout reads most of the time). I've used these voltage boosters also for my cooling pump to increase V=speed=flow.
Might be a consideration here if at all needed.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy22Bob
I wouldn't be so quick to desmiss this concept - but maybe wait to hear some more feedback on magnet faces - maybe a separate thread/summary.
Nothing lost in having the discussion of boosting the magnet power.
Looking at the isentropic chart for the SC indicates you are probably at twice the original design SC power = twice the forces - but I'm sure the magnet had headroom to start with.

As with a smaller pulley and more boost being "within" the production design envelope of the car, the coil and amps may have capacity to be boosted. EG: Ignition coil boosters used on the 2.3L SLK230's pumping in 16V to the coil packs instead of 13.2-13.5V (that/s what my Woody cigarette lighter readout reads most of the time). I've used these voltage boosters also for my cooling pump to increase V=speed=flow.
Might be a consideration here if at all needed.
I just took your advice and started new thread for the electromagnet https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...net-tweek.html
I hope all that have responded will continue here.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:06 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm just an ole' shade tree mechanic so I won't comment on the particulars...lol. I have ran Rudy's version of the 62 in two half mile events. I did inspect it after those events, and have installed the LM21 scatter shield. We will inspect it again while installing the rear gears to see how we are faring. If it shows signs of wear, I will go back to the 65 as well. But, so far I am very pleased with it, and the performance speaks for itself.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:28 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I found this :
Quote:
Air pressure is measured in different ways. Two common ones are PSI (pounds per square inch) or a barometer which measures in column inches of mercury. As we know the barometer goes up and down with weather so the air pressure goes up and down. The highest barometer reading ever recorded is about 32 inches or just over 15.6 PSI. The lowest barometer reading ever recorded was 25.69 in the middle of a hurricane so this is not typical but equates to about 12.5 PSI. These are all sea level readings. So we need an average, or normal. The standard is a barometer of 29.92 which equates to about 14.7 PSI, again being a sea level reading. With that standard the pressure at Denver is 12.1 PSI or a barometer of about 24.63. At this pressure water boils at about 202F instead of 212F.

Hi Dr. George, Very interesting to see some clear documentation of the differences in air pressure. THANKS for your research and for posting that contribution.

Hope to see you at the fall TOD event?? I made our room reservations at Fontana Village yesterday! YEAH!

Best regards,
Bob Davis (Red Dog)

Old 04-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Quote:
Air pressure is measured in different ways. Two common ones are PSI (pounds per square inch) or a barometer which measures in column inches of mercury. As we know the barometer goes up and down with weather so the air pressure goes up and down. The highest barometer reading ever recorded is about 32 inches or just over 15.6 PSI. The lowest barometer reading ever recorded was 25.69 in the middle of a hurricane so this is not typical but equates to about 12.5 PSI. These are all sea level readings. So we need an average, or normal. The standard is a barometer of 29.92 which equates to about 14.7 PSI, again being a sea level reading. With that standard the pressure at Denver is 12.1 PSI or a barometer of about 24.63. At this pressure water boils at about 202F instead of 212F.

Hi Dr. George, Very interesting to see some clear documentation of the differences in air pressure. THANKS for your research and for posting that contribution.

Hope to see you at the fall TOD event?? I made our room reservations at Fontana Village yesterday! YEAH!

Best regards,
Bob Davis (Red Dog)
At the moment, I plan on being there.
Will see you then !

Dr. George

Old 05-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so where do i get this hardened pulley? how much? got any contact info? i think mine is making an awful noise and sounds like its gonna **** the bed any minute.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Gang! After a whole bunch of miles/years happily tooling down the road with the 62mm supercharger pulley, The bearing just failed. Started making a very loud screeching noise. Took the bolt and washer off and saw a lot of metal dust. Just wondering, as I can't remember, does the stock bearing work in the 62mm pulley? I've got an NSK supercharger pulley on order from Needswings, but that was before I gave it some thought and started wondering if the outer diameter of that bearing will fit properly in the 62mm pulley. Any input would be appreciated.

BTW, how many people who purchased the 62mm supercharger pulley are still running with that setup? I've had mine on the car since the 2012 initial group buy (think I was #1 on the list).

One more thing... The side of the pulley that holds the belt looks great. The backside that connects with the magnetic drive wheel looks kind of rough. It is no longer smooth, but has grooves carved in it. The mating surface on the supercharger is similarly grooved, though in a reverse fashion. Attaching an image file for folks to look at. I've been running this pulley for about 100,000 miles. Figure I should consider this a problem, but wonder what I can do about it. The shiny rings is the groove (including that duller ring at the center most portion of the surface). The darker rings are the original surface. All thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still have mine on however, I do not have nearly those kind of miles on mine. May go back to crank pulley.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

EDIT ... for some reason, I had thought that the Karmen used a different Bearing than the other Aftermarket M112k SC pulleys used ...

I have the box in front of me and it is an NSK 32BD47 18T12DD (UKCG26). Rudy supplied this to me years ago as a replacement.

I am still running my Karmen as well although I think I have only put 75,000 miles on it . AND, my bearing started making noise years ago and I replaced it (with the bearing that Rudy got me).

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 04-07-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW - Both my shelved aluminium 62s have NSK32BD45DU s

The following users liked this post:
latemodel21 (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 09:25 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by latemodel21
I am fairly certain that the Karmen uses a different bearing. I have the box in front of me and it is an NSK 32BD47 18T12DD (UKCG26). Rudy could answer this question with more certainty.
If Rudy gave you that number it will be OK for the so called Karman pulley.
It uses a bearing 32mm inside diameter, 47mm outside diameter and 18mm wide, with seals on both sides.
Pulley and bearing sizes. Prices and sources are outdated. (CLICK)

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-07-2022 at 10:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
latemodel21 (04-07-2022)