Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

SRT6 Engine Transplant

Old 07-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: SRT6 Engine Transplant

Originally Posted by HDDP
I hope you understand that the MOTEC M600 is built for high end racing and a bit pricey for a daily driver, but it will run ANY engine in ANY car. The functionality will actually allow you to drop a turbo or anything onto the M112 and tune it to the optimum specs, run it and monitor it. As far as traction control, yes, you can access this function to disable or enable the TC. It will work with our drive-by-wire as well as monitor wideband lambda AFR and allow adjustments via a laptop. I'm still learning the software in my limited spare time.

Although my car runs only the the necessary / required engine sensors and accessories the engine management is operated completely by the M600 since we removed the OEM ECU. It is my understanding that the system can be wired as a piggyback that will run engine management, but leave the accessories in a stock vehicle to be operated by the OEM ECU if you decide.

My system was installed to run all the necessary sensors (22 +/-) and the coils, fuel pump, radiator fan, SC clutch, IC pump, secondary cooling pump, ABS, drive-by-wire, speedo, tach, fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp and brake lights. These were the only things i needed for my track car. I did purchase the limited data logging capability, but may upgrade it if the need arises.

The install / wiring process was fairly lengthy (2+ weeks) and cost an additional $2,500 but included a full day dyno tuning process and the loading of various engine management programs and AFR maps that I can access via my laptop in the paddock to change the engine operation between races.

I'll post all the info and the few photos I have in the next few weeks... The car has not even been track tested yet because of my work schedule but I am trying to make it to the NASA South East Regional race at Road Atlanta on August 9th-10th.
HDDP,

You come to Atlanta and I may get a chance to meet you. I'd love the chance to take a look
at your car in person. It think that on Aug. 9th and 10th I'll have to find a reason to head over
to Road Atlanta. Maybe bring my son along and let him look at a real racing Crossfire.
Good luck on the tuning!

Coyote

Old 07-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sonoronos
The Motec 600, as a standalone ECU, can make the engine do anything - even run in a state that would make it blow up (such as advancing the timing to dangerous places in the piston stroke or changing the ignition sequence.)
you are misinterpreting what I asked, I meant to say can it phase the duel ignition so that it also can fire another spark 10 degrees after the first ignition for the same cylinder.?

Old 07-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxwell
you are misinterpreting what I asked, I meant to say can it phase the duel ignition so that it also can fire another spark 10 degrees after the first ignition for the same cylinder.?
The M600 cannot, but the I believe the M800 has that capability. It really wasn't a concern of mine since the dual spark offset was only designed to limit emissions by burning any leftover vapor during the cylinder cycle, after the piston has made most of it's stroke. As you know this retarded secondary ignition really doesn't add power since it doesn't have the compressive quality with the piston halfway down the cylinder and the vapor burn is more like a poof, unlike igniting all the gas at once when it's at it's most explosive state. It's actually better to fire both plugs simultaneously and this dual plug system actually helps HP when both plugs are constantly fired simultaneously.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Coyote
HDDP,

You come to Atlanta and I may get a chance to meet you. I'd love the chance to take a look
at your car in person. It think that on Aug. 9th and 10th I'll have to find a reason to head over
to Road Atlanta. Maybe bring my son along and let him look at a real racing Crossfire.
Good luck on the tuning!

Coyote
You got it... I'm trying my best to make that event, working in my industry sometimes has it's downsides, I never know my schedule or the days we are filming until a week in advance...

Old 07-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm that's interesting, why would they add the stagard ignition to the m800 if it didn't make power?

I really have no clue myself. can't afford to play with such an expensive computer. yet I've found some motorcycle ecus that allow me full map editing of timing, fuel and fuel injector advancement/retard. I need to build a true race crossfire one of these days.

hey what laptop software are you using for diagnostics on the crossfire, I remember you started a thread on it?

The M600 cannot, but the I believe the M800 has that capability. It really wasn't a concern of mine since the dual spark offset was only designed to limit emissions by burning any leftover vapor during the cylinder cycle, after the piston has made most of it's stroke. As you know this retarded secondary ignition really doesn't add power since it doesn't have the compressive quality with the piston halfway down the cylinder and the vapor burn is more like a poof, unlike igniting all the gas at once when it's at it's most explosive state. It's actually better to fire both plugs simultaneously and this dual plug system actually helps HP when both plugs are constantly fired simultaneously.

Last edited by Maxwell; 07-15-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too lazy to read 16 pages, did you get it done Derek? I haven't gotten my 240sx to the track yet, diff is sitting on the floor in my garage, then I am done, for now, until I go ball bearing.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by x'ed
Too lazy to read 16 pages, did you get it done Derek? I haven't gotten my 240sx to the track yet, diff is sitting on the floor in my garage, then I am done, for now, until I go ball bearing.
Sorry it's taken so long to respond, I'm living / working in Charleston SC temporarily. The answer to your question is yes, the engine is done and running like a champ. MOTEC M600 is the brain. Dyno is 378 at the wheels and the 6spd is handling the extra HP/TQ.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, that's fantastic. Congrats on all the hard work. I would like to see the dyno, just to see how the powerband is, and the torque curve. Again, Congratulations.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry it's taken so long to respond, I'm living / working in Charleston SC temporarily. The answer to your question is yes, the engine is done and running like a champ. MOTEC M600 is the brain. Dyno is 378 at the wheels and the 6spd is handling the extra HP/TQ.
Holy crap... dynojet/mustang/dyno dynamics? Great numbers, and I bow down to your handiwork...

Old 09-25-2008, 03:26 PM

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS DEREK!!!!!!!!! you have to get in touch with me when your back in town, I HAVE to see that bad boy.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's sweet! Get some pics of that bad boy

Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Forum Regular

wow just now caught up with this! great job!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:33 PM

Nice work HDDP. I just came across your motor swap thread. I need to find a few hours to read through it later. I did my RHD C32 motor swap 2 years ago into my C320 Sports Coupe. Just kept the same 5 spd slushbox and TCU/PCM. Everything went in fine. Just had to order a new Bosch ME 2.8 AMG ECU and version code everything over.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by newCrossfire
wow just now caught up with this! great job!!!
Thanks, it took months of research and shitloads of time, not to mention boucoup $ Am running everything off the MOTEC M600 ECU, OEM electronics were gutted since the car is strictly a track car.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Just bumping this one back to life.......let some of the new guys see what has been done before.

I forgot how much work Derek did in putting this thing together!

Old 05-14-2009, 05:29 PM

Hey Derek,
Were initial attempts made to make the stock srt6 ecu work with the manual trans?
Do you see any pitfalls with this course of action?
I know this was different than your technique as it was track use only, but was it driven by desire or necessity?
Thanks and kudos for being a pioneer!!!
Regards.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Default SRT6 Engine Transplant

Ahh, to bring the dream back...

With all the banter about of flashing an ecu to erase the old vin and reflash to the donor car, anyone care to speculate what would stop dropping an srt 6 into a n/a?

Old 09-18-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by black05
Ahh, to bring the dream back...

With all the banter about of flashing an ecu to erase the old vin and reflash to the donor car, anyone care to speculate what would stop dropping an srt 6 into a n/a?
This entire thread....

...and a stock transmission that can't handle the power.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
This entire thread....this thread has not been updated since lantana's research that beckman can wipe ecu and that they can be reflashed.

...and a stock transmission that can't handle the power.
and where is the data to support this conclusion? i've read thread after thread that the srt tranny is 'beefed up'. why is there a presumption that the internals of a n/a tranny cannot support the additional torque?
i haven't seen any thread about people trashing their tranny when they use their nitrous.
the tranny doesn't break when the sudden addition of 75 additional hp is unleashed, but somehow its not going to hold up to the additional load of the srt torque?

If you don't have the empirical data to support your claims, do some research and help us all understand your position.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black05
and where is the data to support this conclusion? i've read thread after thread that the srt tranny is 'beefed up'. why is there a presumption that the internals of a n/a tranny cannot support the additional torque?
i haven't seen any thread about people trashing their tranny when they use their nitrous.
the tranny doesn't break when the sudden addition of 75 additional hp is unleashed, but somehow its not going to hold up to the additional load of the srt torque?

If you don't have the empirical data to support your claims, do some research and help us all understand your position.
I for one would most likely blow up my transmission in the process of missing a shift. The shifter works beautifully most of the time.. but once in a while it gives my hand the feeling (and sound) of being in gear, but I get a nasty grind. It may not blow up instantly, but it's life will be drastically shortened. I think instead of bothering with the srt motor, an LS swap is a great idea. For the amount of time, money and effort it obviously takes.. why not get an extra 2 cyl... and however much power you want (+$,time, effort.). Do you guys really care if it's a "mercedes" that much?

Quick Reply: SRT6 Engine Transplant