Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

SRT6 Engine Transplant

Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: SRT6 Engine Transplant

Originally Posted by HDDP
Well first of all, you will need to swap the crankshaft of an NA engine to mate the manual transmission to the SRT, its really not a fun process.
wow sounds like a big hassle, would be easier to swap in a lower CR pistons and boost the NA motor?

Old 07-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep2Xfire
Is the M112 2 bolt mains or 4 bolt mains?? Or 2 bolt for N/A and 4 bolt SRT??
8 bolt, if you are referring to the crank flange. Same # on both engines, just different pattern. With a little research and a good friend who rebuilds MB engines, it looks like the flywheel and pressure plate from a specific 2006 MB model will bolt right up.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:22 PM

So here's the update on the AMG engine transplant so you guys & gals don't have to go thru the hell I did. First off, manual transmission with the AMG engine is a major problem. The bolt pattern on the crankshaft flange between the two engines is different and a new flywheel / pressure plate from a 2006 C230 Sport Coupe must be used, this is the only flywheel I have found to have the 4+4 bolt pattern that is used on the SRT6 crank. But the flywheel must be modified slightly because there are three dowels that align the pressure plate to the clutch cover and these are different from the OEM. You could use a clutch from the C230 though and this would solve your problem, but I had a SPEC clutch that needed to be fitted...

More gruesome details later...

Old 07-13-2008, 04:40 PM

damn that sucks, hope it pulls together soon for you!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:36 AM

it is pulled together. The engine is in and running on a MOTEC M600. there were many problems though.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 AM
Life is random...so am I.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity, and to give the people who say "I'm just gonna bolt in a srt engine" some quick numbers......how much you think you have invested so far HDDP. Time and/or money?

Old 07-14-2008, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by apkano
Just out of curiosity, and to give the people who say "I'm just gonna bolt in a srt engine" some quick numbers......how much you think you have invested so far HDDP. Time and/or money?
Well, let's see. $3,200 for the engine. $350 for the C230 flywheel, $4,500 for the Motec M600 (not including dynos & custom maps) $400 for the custom IC heat exchanger, $250 for the custom coolant tank, $180 for the IC pump, $200 for custom IC plumbing, $2,400 for the Schrick Cams, $1,000 for the custom headers, $300 for the wide band O2 sensors, $1,100 for the SPEC clutch. Not to mention a few other odds & ends and about 40 hours of wiring and another 40 hours removing the old engine and installing the new one. And probably 100 hours of research.

Feel free to do the math.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:26 AM

LOL....I know the effort you have put into making this happen!

I just wanted a reference point for all the newbies to the forum who say it's "no problem!"

Can't wait to see the beast running! Thanks for all your hard work on this project. Always interesting.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:36 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Well, let's see. $3,200 for the engine. $350 for the C230 flywheel, $4,500 for the Motec M600 (not including dynos & custom maps) $400 for the custom IC heat exchanger, $250 for the custom coolant tank, $180 for the IC pump, $200 for custom IC plumbing, $2,400 for the Schrick Cams, $1,000 for the custom headers, $300 for the wide band O2 sensors, $1,100 for the SPEC clutch. Not to mention a few other odds & ends and about 40 hours of wiring and another 40 hours removing the old engine and installing the new one. And probably 100 hours of research.

Damn - I bet you have over $15K invested - and thats not including your time. And we (the forum members following your thread) have yet to see the engine in the car or hear a sound clip of it running. (love to hear those headers)

With all the mods you've done to your N/A prior to the engine swap, plus the cost of the Crossfire (I think you mentioned that you paid full pop) you could have been racing this:

Or at least cruzing around town.....

Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 AM

how much Hp did you make on the engine dyno?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Damn - I bet you have over $15K invested - and thats not including your time. And we (the forum members following your thread) have yet to see the engine in the car or hear a sound clip of it running. (love to hear those headers)

With all the mods you've done to your N/A prior to the engine swap, plus the cost of the Crossfire (I think you mentioned that you paid full pop) you could have been racing this:

Wow.....that's cold-hearted!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave

Yep, but then you guys would still be scratching your heads wondering if a SRT engine could be transplanted in a mantrans NA Crossfire !

Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 PM

what are your dyno numbers?

Old 07-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations! Is this the answer to all the tuning problems associated with the failure of n/a to forced induction projects? I read this too:" Optional features available include; Traction Control, Gear Change Ignition Cut, Variable Cam Control, Drive By Wire throttle control, Wideband Lambda sensor* and Data Logging." can you actually turn off traction control?

Last edited by downwardspiral; 07-14-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:17 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by apkano
Wow.....that's cold-hearted!
No - Just a little fanny slap!!

Yep, but then you guys would still be scratching your heads wondering if a SRT engine could be transplanted in a mantrans NA Crossfire !
I appreciate all your work and I hope you bring home trophy's to place on the mantel.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
Congratulations! Is this the answer to all the tuning problems associated with the failure of n/a to forced induction projects? I read this too:" Optional features available include; Traction Control, Gear Change Ignition Cut, Variable Cam Control, Drive By Wire throttle control, Wideband Lambda sensor* and Data Logging." can you actually turn off traction control?
I hope you understand that the MOTEC M600 is built for high end racing and a bit pricey for a daily driver, but it will run ANY engine in ANY car. The functionality will actually allow you to drop a turbo or anything onto the M112 and tune it to the optimum specs, run it and monitor it. As far as traction control, yes, you can access this function to disable or enable the TC. It will work with our drive-by-wire as well as monitor wideband lambda AFR and allow adjustments via a laptop. I'm still learning the software in my limited spare time.

Although my car runs only the the necessary / required engine sensors and accessories the engine management is operated completely by the M600 since we removed the OEM ECU. It is my understanding that the system can be wired as a piggyback that will run engine management, but leave the accessories in a stock vehicle to be operated by the OEM ECU if you decide.

My system was installed to run all the necessary sensors (22 +/-) and the coils, fuel pump, radiator fan, SC clutch, IC pump, secondary cooling pump, ABS, drive-by-wire, speedo, tach, fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp and brake lights. These were the only things i needed for my track car. I did purchase the limited data logging capability, but may upgrade it if the need arises.

The install / wiring process was fairly lengthy (2+ weeks) and cost an additional $2,500 but included a full day dyno tuning process and the loading of various engine management programs and AFR maps that I can access via my laptop in the paddock to change the engine operation between races.

I'll post all the info and the few photos I have in the next few weeks... The car has not even been track tested yet because of my work schedule but I am trying to make it to the NASA South East Regional race at Road Atlanta on August 9th-10th.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 487 Likes on 338 Posts

A fascinating thread to follow especially for some one like me who does nothing more than change my own oil.
My mail question here is how fast will this go and what kind of quarter mile times do you expect it to do ??

Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
A fascinating thread to follow especially for some one like me who does nothing more than change my own oil.
My mail question here is how fast will this go and what kind of quarter mile times do you expect it to do ??
Sorry buddy, never been on a dragstrip in my life, I'm a roadracer. Now if you ask me what my lap times will be at any of the tracks I race, I can answer that.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:19 AM

HDDP, Are you able to phase the ignition coils at 10 degrees, like the motronic ecu does,

Also can you advance or retard the fuel injector timing from it's current settings? say make it spray earlier or later befor the intake valve opens?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxwell
HDDP, Are you able to phase the ignition coils at 10 degrees, like the motronic ecu does,
Also can you advance or retard the fuel injector timing from it's current settings? say make it spray earlier or later befor the intake valve opens?
The Motec 600, as a standalone ECU, can make the engine do anything - even run in a state that would make it blow up (such as advancing the timing to dangerous places in the piston stroke or changing the ignition sequence.)

Quick Reply: SRT6 Engine Transplant