Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

engine stalls on acceleration

Old 02-02-2018, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine stalls on acceleration

My 2005 Crossfire Roadster stalls/dies during acceleration.

At first, it only stalled during extreme or hard acceleration. Later, the engine would stall with only slight acceleration. My mechanic found the engine cover gasket, much like the engine cover gasket in the photo at the end of the delcobob post, "Air flow sensor to engine cover gasket."

The replacement gasket we received from Mercedes Benz looked like the replacement gasket pictured in the above mentioned post - the replacement gasket is different from the original gasket and does not lap completely over the entire perimeter of the air intake like the original gasket.

Installing the replacement gasket has helped but the engine still tends to stall/die, especially when going up a hill. My mechanic checked for vacuum leaks and found one, but the engine still stalls/dies when accelerating up a hill.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Could the redesigned gasket be part of the problem?
Any other explanations this problem?

Thanks,
rorowland

Old 02-03-2018, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: engine stalls on acceleration

Define "Stall" -

• "Engine quits running and I wander off to the side of the road and get it restarted.
Or.................

• "Engine hesitates, loses power, runs rough, etc., but if I back off the throttle, it keeps running".

That seal is important, but the car will run with the airbox completely off the car. It sounds like the seal you got is the wrong part, but I still don't think that is the issue here.
I'm questioning fuel pressure and flow. Also, mine did odd stuff during hard, HARD acceleration - 12 plugs and 12 plugs wires, at 101,000 miles, cleared that up.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Most likely one of two things:
- ignition: misfire should be setting a code or codes. Should feel a miss under load.
- fuel problem: failing fuel pump, clogged filter, blocked lines. Need to put a good gauge on the fuel rail. May just feel like no power.

Since fly-by-wire, it may be a throttle position sensor. Needs instrumentation in any event.

Suspect you may need a new mechanic.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-03-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:35 PM

Thanks. I will have the potential fuel problems and the throttle sensor position checked out.
Rorowland

Old 02-03-2018, 07:37 PM

Stall is defined as "Engine quits running and I wander off to the side of the road and get it restarted."

I am right at 100,000 miles and may need new plugs and wires.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:09 AM

Interested on what you find out. I'm also frustrated with an intermittent stalling issue that the cause has not been identified.

Have stalled at highway speed and also from a stop. Always happens when pressing the accelerator. The vehicle will start immediately, but will be running rough (shake). Within 5-10 minutes, of turning the vehicle off and restarting, it will run smooth again and be fine for days/weeks.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:52 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.
What is wrong with checking for DTCs? We have this option but few seem to use it.
Mileage on car? With limited and confusing info it is impossible to say what could be wrong.
The OP mentions someone’s post, why not show it?
Air could leak at the donut and the TB O-ring.
We have a lot of threads on what DTC reader to buy but nobody uses it when they get one.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-10-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by rorowland
Stall is defined as "Engine quits running and I wander off to the side of the road and get it restarted."

Thank you for this post, same problem with my 2006 crossfire. The car would not start after a drive. The engine would turn but no igintion, but wait 20 min, car started and off I would go...decided to get "check engine" light. The code said "crank position sensor failure". So i replaced it, but not with a Bosch product. Took it for a drive things seemed fine, but the care started to buck at around 3,ooo rpm and then stalled. Left me on the side of the road till things cooled of, replaced cam position sensor. Car continues to buck and stall...felt like i was not getting fuel? So i replaced the fuel filter, still bucking and then stall, retarts and then a few feet more, stall...
whats going on?
please help.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gails car
Thank you for this post, same problem with my 2006 crossfire. The car would not start after a drive. The engine would turn but no igintion, but wait 20 min, car started and off I would go...decided to get "check engine" light. The code said "crank position sensor failure". So i replaced it, but not with a Bosch product. Took it for a drive things seemed fine, but the care started to buck at around 3,ooo rpm and then stalled. Left me on the side of the road till things cooled of, replaced cam position sensor. Car continues to buck and stall...felt like i was not getting fuel? So i replaced the fuel filter, still bucking and then stall, retarts and then a few feet more, stall...
whats going on?
please help.
excuse the typos...i swear i didn't type it like that, lol

Old 05-12-2018, 10:37 PM

Usually its the last thing you changed. Personally I use only name brands.

If bucking at 3k I'd connecd Torque Pro and instrument things like TPS, Advance, MAF, etc then set to log and take for a drive. Then study what was going on when it happened. Would think something is going to start jumping around and if timing is likely the CPS.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:07 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Gails car
whats going on?
please help.
I would say that you should have used a Bosch part, some of the others do not fit the cars plug and are loose. The cam sensor should also be a Bosch.
When stalled did the engine turnover or was just the starter heard?
Our motto is you either buy Bosch or you walk home.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by rorowland

rorowland, did you ever get your issue resolved?
thanks!

Old 05-13-2018, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I would say that you should have used a Bosch part, some of the others do not fit the cars plug and are loose. The cam sensor should also be a Bosch.
When stalled did the engine turnover or was just the starter heard?
Our motto is you either buy Bosch or you walk home.
yes, when the engine stalled with the new sensors (cam & crank position sensors) the car would sound like it was going to start. It was NEVER the "clicking" starter sound, like the sound of a dead battery.
Because my products aren't Bosch, do you really think that makes that much of difference...ugh!?
thanks

Old 05-13-2018, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Usually its the last thing you changed. Personally I use only name brands.

If bucking at 3k I'd connecd Torque Pro and instrument things like TPS, Advance, MAF, etc then set to log and take for a drive. Then study what was going on when it happened. Would think something is going to start jumping around and if timing is likely the CPS.
thanks for this, but not sure i understand your theory. I am not mechanically incline, but i can do some basic things. I do have a friend that helps me with my repairs. Can you please clarify your thoughts again...not sure what Torque Pro, TPS, Advance, MAF and CPS is..?
The last thing i changed was the gas filter. The crank + cam sensor were basically done together. I find it hard to believe just because they are not Bosch things would not run correctly, but this forum will know more than me. Thanks for your input.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I find it hard to believe just because they are not Bosch things would not run correctly
However, it's true. The thing is that when the Chinese cloned the Bosch CPS, they failed to duplicate the connector pin dimensions. Their pins are thinner, which results in the body harness connector not making proper contact.
Torque Pro - a cell phone app that interfaces via a bluetooth connector to the OBDCII connector.
TPS - Throttle Position Sensor
Advance - regarding the ignition timing.
MAF - Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor.
CPS - Crankshaft Position Sensor

Last edited by ala_xfire; 05-13-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:05 AM

Sorry was a bit of a check for knowledge. That said you need four things to run: fuel, air, compression, and fire. If any are missing it won't run.

Are some simple tests for triage but generally takes two people or a remote starter button.

1) remove engine cover. Place hand over intake, crank - do you feel suction (can use a piece of cardboard it have delicate hands)

2) Pour some gas (1/2 oz) into MAF taking care to miss sensor. Crank. does it fire or struggle ?

Report back on what happens (or find a neighborhood gearhead).

Old 05-14-2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Sorry was a bit of a check for knowledge. That said you need four things to run: fuel, air, compression, and fire. If any are missing it won't run.

Are some simple tests for triage but generally takes two people or a remote starter button.

1) remove engine cover. Place hand over intake, crank - do you feel suction (can use a piece of cardboard it have delicate hands)

2) Pour some gas (1/2 oz) into MAF taking care to miss sensor. Crank. does it fire or struggle ?

Report back on what happens (or find a neighborhood gearhead).
i truely appreciate the helpful tips...i will try these tasks. Perhaps i should order the new Bosch CPS first, just for safe measure.