Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Transmission Help Pleaseee!!!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission Help Pleaseee!!!

My main question is will too much transmission fluid cause my shifting to be sluggish and sloppy? Some background information is that my car had a R&R done on the transmission about 45,000 miles ago, shifted fine until recently. First thing to start with is, I checked the fluid and it's like a yellowish color instead of a pink, so first thoughts are they put the wrong fluid and it's degrading or what not. Next I used a transmission dipstick and I/R gun to check the fluid level, at 130degrees it showed over 65mm, the chart says it's supposed to be at 42mm, and even when I checked it cold it was that high. Also apparently after reading every thread on here about transmissions and fluids, etc. I found out that the dipstick is supposed to go at least 28inches before it hits the bottom of the transmission tank but I can only get 25 or 26 inches before it touches, and I followed the manual and the threads on how to properly check the level, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong if anything. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks, you guys have helped greatly in the past hope you can this time

Old 11-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Default Re: Transmission Help Pleaseee!!!

Also the breather/vent, on top of the transmission has leaked a tiny bit of fluid here and there acting like the fluid is too hot and foaming up I guess, not sure just going off what I have read thanks

Old 11-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Anybody have any ideas.........

Old 11-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I did a quick google search and what I came up with is Pentosin ATF. It's a yellow color and Pentosin says it's for our MB transmission. I've had shifting problems from low fluid, unfortunately I can't tell you what high fluid levels shift like. Look at and smell the fluid, if it's not milky (water contamination) or smells burnt the fluid is still good. If you see foam or bubbles it may be overfilled. My thoughts are that if grossly overfilled you wouldn't have lasted 45,000 miles. If positive it's too full, the fluid looks and smells normal, use a long clear hose and suck some out.

Les

Old 11-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I did a quick google search and what I came up with is Pentosin ATF. It's a yellow color and Pentosin says it's for our MB transmission. I've had shifting problems from low fluid, unfortunately I can't tell you what high fluid levels shift like. Look at and smell the fluid, if it's not milky (water contamination) or smells burnt the fluid is still good. If you see foam or bubbles it may be overfilled. My thoughts are that if grossly overfilled you wouldn't have lasted 45,000 miles. If positive it's too full, the fluid looks and smells normal, use a long clear hose and suck some out.

Les
Thanks for the input Les, I did some more research and found that to much fluid causes foaming which then cause decreased pressure to vital transmission areas causing bad and sluggish shifting sometimes. The only thing I'm concerned about now at this point is why it never felt this way for the past 45,000, which leads me to think it was the wrong fluid used and has degraded or burned and gone bad causing the foaming, so I I may perform a transmission flush and put all new fluid in and the right fluid level and see how it performs after that. Would I need to replace the trans filter or do you think just the flush should be sufficient enough to get all the other fluid out? Thanks for the help

Old 01-17-2018, 02:16 PM

Hi all. I have a 2004 Crossfire auto. Had a recent transmission fluid and filter change.
I now have oil leaking from transmission and suspected the sump gasket but garage says that it appears to be coming from the breather vent on top.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 01-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

If the pan gasket is indeed OK, and they properly replaced the electrical connector body and O rings ( as they should ), then they most likely overfilled it.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:02 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Transmission Help Pleaseee!!!

I over filled my transmission and it blew off the excess over the side thru the vent it seems to know what it wants. Found that interesting, after my O ring fix write up. Over fill does not cause shifting issues from my experience. I also made a write up showing how to make a long zip tie into a dipstick for checking the level. Worry not level is not going to damage it, Woody WDY

The following users liked this post:
BrushRoadster! (11-15-2023)
Old 07-05-2018, 09:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Is there a link to this -Zip Tie Dipstick - write up? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Transmission Help Pleaseee!!!

I found my posting, I used a zip tie - white that was narrow enough to slip in the tube.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...n-problem.html

Enjoy, Woody