Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Spring damper on clutch pedal

Old 01-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spring damper on clutch pedal

Hi everyone!.....Isn't the Crossfire a great car!! I have a 2007 soft top, 46k miles.

I have a problem with the damper spring mechanism (I think that's what it is?) attached to the side of the clutch pedal in that the point of mounting above the pedal has snapped off. The metal anchor point has snapped and looks to be made of a cheap alloy....maybe due to hot/cold cycles? (heater being on then freezing nights when the car is kept outside overnight?)

My questions are...is this a common occurance....has anyone else suffered this problem?
How important is this mechanism as the clutch works ok without it?
Finally, how tricky is the fix cos it looks damn tricky to me!? (high up behind the dash)

I would be grateful to anyone who can shed light on this problem
Cheers all!

Last edited by DaveLad; 01-10-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Title
Old 02-07-2019, 12:21 AM
Default Re: Spring damper on clutch pedal

Interesting problem. I just noticed the spring on my 05 that you are talking about. I am very surprised to hear that your clutch still works!
If it were me I would try to weld it back together first, since the clutch still works for now. I would be trying to find a permanent solution as fast as possible though.
Im new to the forum so sorry I don't have any other input and good luck!

Old 02-07-2019, 08:04 AM
Thumbs up Re: Spring damper on clutch pedal

Originally Posted by Cotyt94
Interesting problem. I just noticed the spring on my 05 that you are talking about. I am very surprised to hear that your clutch still works!
If it were me I would try to weld it back together first, since the clutch still works for now. I would be trying to find a permanent solution as fast as possible though.
Im new to the forum so sorry I don't have any other input and good luck!

Hi!
Thanks for your input.....yeah, I was shocked ! when it dropped off into the footwell thinking that the clutch might not work properly....but as it has nothing to do with the actuation of the clutch mechanism and it seems to be there purely to create a smooth pedal action (iron out the hydraulic resistance when depressing the pedal), I'll see how it goes...

Also, the broken anchor point is so high up behind the dashboard that welding it back on would be, I imagine, a massive job and costly....

If things change I'll post an update.....cheers for now.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:03 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveLad
Hi!
Thanks for your input.....yeah, I was shocked ! when it dropped off into the footwell thinking that the clutch might not work properly....but as it has nothing to do with the actuation of the clutch mechanism and it seems to be there purely to create a smooth pedal action (iron out the hydraulic resistance when depressing the pedal), I'll see how it goes...

Also, the broken anchor point is so high up behind the dashboard that welding it back on would be, I imagine, a massive job and costly....

If things change I'll post an update.....cheers for now.
Does the spring keep the pedal up and away from having the pressure pad resting on the clutch actuator. If so it would be like driving with your foot pushing on the clutch all the time.
I have hit 20,999 posts, am I a Senior Member yet?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:06 AM

The brake and clutch pedal assembly is easily removed. it's held on by 3 13mm nuts, and then you need to disconnect the brake light switch and the brake master cylinder linkage. it's just a small clip.

Then you can have access to the mechanism, or just replace the whole assembly

Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 AM

Hi onehundred80
Yeah good point....that would induce clutch slip....but can't say I've noticed any...even under hard acceleration...I'm convinced that it's there just to make the pedal travel smooth against the hydraulics of the clutch....I think.....perhaps.....eeerrrm...??

Last edited by DaveLad; 02-07-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveLad
Hi onehundred80
Yeah good point....that would induce clutch slip....but can't say I've noticed any...even under hard acceleration...I'm convinced that it's there just to make the pedal travel smooth against the hydraulics of the clutch....I think.....perhaps.....eeerrrm...??
I am not sure, I had a manual once and I have forgotten what it feels like, just a thought.
No clutch slip though, does it rest on the thrust bearing that is the question.