Spring damper on clutch pedal - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Spring damper on clutch pedal

  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Yorkshire England
Age: 57
Posts: 3
Question Spring damper on clutch pedal


Hi everyone!.....Isn't the Crossfire a great car!! I have a 2007 soft top, 46k miles.

I have a problem with the damper spring mechanism (I think that's what it is?) attached to the side of the clutch pedal in that the point of mounting above the pedal has snapped off. The metal anchor point has snapped and looks to be made of a cheap alloy....maybe due to hot/cold cycles? (heater being on then freezing nights when the car is kept outside overnight?)

My questions are...is this a common occurance....has anyone else suffered this problem?
How important is this mechanism as the clutch works ok without it?
Finally, how tricky is the fix cos it looks damn tricky to me!? (high up behind the dash)

I would be grateful to anyone who can shed light on this problem
Cheers all!
 

Last edited by DaveLad; 01-10-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Title
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2019, 12:21 AM
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: OR
Age: 24
Posts: 10
Default Re: Spring damper on clutch pedal

Interesting problem. I just noticed the spring on my 05 that you are talking about. I am very surprised to hear that your clutch still works!
If it were me I would try to weld it back together first, since the clutch still works for now. I would be trying to find a permanent solution as fast as possible though.
Im new to the forum so sorry I don't have any other input and good luck!
 
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2019, 08:04 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Yorkshire England
Age: 57
Posts: 3
Thumbs up Re: Spring damper on clutch pedal

Originally Posted by Cotyt94 View Post
Interesting problem. I just noticed the spring on my 05 that you are talking about. I am very surprised to hear that your clutch still works!
If it were me I would try to weld it back together first, since the clutch still works for now. I would be trying to find a permanent solution as fast as possible though.
Im new to the forum so sorry I don't have any other input and good luck!

Hi!
Thanks for your input.....yeah, I was shocked ! when it dropped off into the footwell thinking that the clutch might not work properly....but as it has nothing to do with the actuation of the clutch mechanism and it seems to be there purely to create a smooth pedal action (iron out the hydraulic resistance when depressing the pedal), I'll see how it goes...

Also, the broken anchor point is so high up behind the dashboard that welding it back on would be, I imagine, a massive job and costly....

If things change I'll post an update.....cheers for now.
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:03 AM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 79
Posts: 21,214
Default Re: Spring damper on clutch pedal

Originally Posted by DaveLad View Post
Hi!
Thanks for your input.....yeah, I was shocked ! when it dropped off into the footwell thinking that the clutch might not work properly....but as it has nothing to do with the actuation of the clutch mechanism and it seems to be there purely to create a smooth pedal action (iron out the hydraulic resistance when depressing the pedal), I'll see how it goes...

Also, the broken anchor point is so high up behind the dashboard that welding it back on would be, I imagine, a massive job and costly....

If things change I'll post an update.....cheers for now.
Does the spring keep the pedal up and away from having the pressure pad resting on the clutch actuator. If so it would be like driving with your foot pushing on the clutch all the time.
I have hit 20,999 posts, am I a Senior Member yet?
 
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Kansas
Age: 29
Posts: 10
Default Re: Spring damper on clutch pedal

The brake and clutch pedal assembly is easily removed. it's held on by 3 13mm nuts, and then you need to disconnect the brake light switch and the brake master cylinder linkage. it's just a small clip.

Then you can have access to the mechanism, or just replace the whole assembly
 
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Yorkshire England
Age: 57
Posts: 3
Default Re: Spring damper on clutch pedal

Hi onehundred80
Yeah good point....that would induce clutch slip....but can't say I've noticed any...even under hard acceleration...I'm convinced that it's there just to make the pedal travel smooth against the hydraulics of the clutch....I think.....perhaps.....eeerrrm...??
 

Last edited by DaveLad; 02-07-2019 at 10:26 AM.
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 AM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 79
Posts: 21,214
Default Re: Spring damper on clutch pedal

Originally Posted by DaveLad View Post
Hi onehundred80
Yeah good point....that would induce clutch slip....but can't say I've noticed any...even under hard acceleration...I'm convinced that it's there just to make the pedal travel smooth against the hydraulics of the clutch....I think.....perhaps.....eeerrrm...??
I am not sure, I had a manual once and I have forgotten what it feels like, just a thought.
No clutch slip though, does it rest on the thrust bearing that is the question.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
almasyff8
Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential
5
08-23-2011 04:42 PM
JimmySkullz
Parts/Accessories for sale
7
08-17-2009 09:07 PM
Sdevante
Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential
2
10-20-2008 06:55 AM
dec1184
Crossfire Coupe
5
11-21-2007 04:16 AM
landho
Troubleshooting & Technical & Modifications
5
06-06-2004 08:13 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Quick Reply: Spring damper on clutch pedal


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.