Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

HOW TO replace headlight bulb. Pictured step by step instructions

Old 01-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO replace headlight bulb. Pictured step by step instructions

Does anyone have a spare speed clip? Mine came out when we were changing the bulb. I was able to get it back in but it doesn't seem to be holding the bulb tight. The bulb is still rocking. Any ideas?

Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Clipped in "backwards" the curved "U" goes in against the bulb.. ??

Old 01-17-2015, 09:02 PM

I think it might be bent.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Thumbs up Re: HOW TO replace headlight bulb. Pictured step by step instructions

Thanks everyone for the terrific tutorial! it took me about 5 minutes, and since I rarely have the opportunity to use my highbeams, I just swapped 'em! Armed with a latex glove (that I didn't need) and a small but regular needlenose pliers, I got 'er done. I am glad, however, that it wasn't a passenger side issue!

Old 03-05-2015, 01:58 PM

Be sure not to touch the bulb itself, the oil on your skin will cause it to overheat and shorten the life of the bulb. if you do touch it rubbing alcohol will clean it off. I made the mistake of removing the clip accidentally... so off to the garage I go.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:28 PM

Great tutorial. I am a 64 yo female-my husband passed away 4 years ago-he was the car guy. I do check my oil level and tire pressure monthly and do my scheduled maintenance on all my cars. Mine is a 2006 convertible model. The video gave me the confidence to replace my low beam driver side headlight. Definitely using needle nose pliers to press and slide the metal clip was a must. The passenger side will be a challenge when it goes out, don't look forward to that! Thanks for posting.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:18 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by SusanB
Great tutorial. I am a 64 yo female-my husband passed away 4 years ago-he was the car guy. I do check my oil level and tire pressure monthly and do my scheduled maintenance on all my cars. Mine is a 2006 convertible model. The video gave me the confidence to replace my low beam driver side headlight. Definitely using needle nose pliers to press and slide the metal clip was a must. The passenger side will be a challenge when it goes out, don't look forward to that! Thanks for posting.

I have a feeling you'll do GREAT! DIY saves ppl a lot of $ that sometimes is better kept in YOUR pocket/purse. Good luck with whatever project you take on!

Old 02-06-2017, 04:05 PM

So...this was a lot more challenging then I was hoping. I started with the drivers side... anyway, the retaining clip came off and fell into the housing and my attempts to retrieve appear to have pushed it further/wedged inside. I guess I'm going to have to resort to removing the head lamps (and bumper). While trying to make room...I removed the secondary air pump. I didn't see any clamp on the hose to the nipple on the bottom of the pump? Is this typical, just pushes on with no clamp? or should I buy/install a clamp?

Old 02-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Rpaczan
So...this was a lot more challenging then I was hoping. I started with the drivers side... anyway, the retaining clip came off and fell into the housing and my attempts to retrieve appear to have pushed it further/wedged inside. I guess I'm going to have to resort to removing the head lamps (and bumper). While trying to make room...I removed the secondary air pump. I didn't see any clamp on the hose to the nipple on the bottom of the pump? Is this typical, just pushes on with no clamp? or should I buy/install a clamp?
No clamp ..........
Tie a string to the next clips, you do not want to do that again.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-06-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

So Richard, you decided to ignore that bit of advise ( posted somewhere on the forum) about tying the string around the clamp before releasing it ?
You really CAN get the headlight assemblies out without removing the bumper cover, I have done it many times.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
So Richard, you decided to ignore that bit of advise ( posted somewhere on the forum) about tying the string around the clamp before releasing it ?
You really CAN get the headlight assemblies out without removing the bumper cover, I have done it many times.
I didn't see the tip about the string on the clamp. I've decided to have the front bumper repainted since there's a lot of rash on the bottom and four holes from license plate mounting plates. The shop is going to remove the headlight assemblies after taking off the bumper, so I can fish out the clamp and replace bulbs. I did the same thing on the SSB. Btw, installed the Kenwood radio and the parasitic draw has been resolved.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:46 AM

I didn't see the tip about the string on the clamp. I've decided to have the front bumper repainted since there's a lot of rash on the bottom and four holes from license plate mounting plates. The shop is going to remove the headlight assemblies after taking off the bumper, so I can fish out the clamp and replace bulbs. I did the same thing on the SSB. Btw, installed the Kenwood radio and the parasitic draw has been resolved.
Another guy was posting that the parasitic draw in the OEM unit was caused by the CD not ejecting. He manually removed it and the draw went away !

Old 02-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

George, I can say for a fact that MY car will not release the headlight assemblies without removing the front facia. I am extremely mechanically inclined, been taking things apart since before age 10. Spent 23 years in the military in Civil Engineering. My car was assembled (front end) slightly different from yours (a 1/4 inch here and there can and does make a difference). With this said again, many people are hesitant to delve into the innards thinking something might break or get lost in the (sometimes called) black holes IE the insides of body panels and such. When I replaced all the bulbs in my XF with the SS Ultras, I tried for hours to get them out. Yes, I tried every which way but breaking them. The only way I got them out without damaging them or the car finish, was to remove the small amount of screws/nuts/bolts holding the facia in, and they then came right out. The service manual section perfectly describes the facia removal BUT it would help a lot to have someone there to help removal and reinstallation for clearances (keep from scratching the clearcoat/painted surfaces).

Richard, make an afternoon of it. Try to get them out without removing the facia. If you cannot, go to the next step and remove the facia. It IS easy (following the downloadable service manual instructions), and once removed they come right out. If you already have some facia damage, decide if you want a friend to help hold it during removal/reinstallation. I posted ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ight-saga.html ) here, the saga. Either way, you'll become more familiar with what is where inside the FE of your car. Have fun, and GOOD LUCK (meaning hope yours come out without the added step to remove the facia).

Richard, I see your going the route of having someone else remove the facia and repainting/repairing. Goes to show I should read all the replies before I post something (I believe this has happened before, should listen to my own advice some huh?).

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 02-07-2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added information
Old 02-07-2017, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I see your going the route of having someone else remove the facia and repainting/repairing. Goes to show I should read all the replies before I post something (I believe this has happened before, should listen to my own advice some huh?).
I think it's good advice. I'm batting 3 for 5 on DIYs. I successfully changed the siren/alarm, replaced cigarette lighter, identified parasitic draw and removed radio (friend installed new Kenwood). I failed on the speaker trim ring braking off 4 tabs....but think I've fixed with an epoxy (Plastex)....also made a tab for the front grille. I tried on the easiest headlight....and now the retainer clip is wedged back in housing...can see in front lens against a high beam fish eye. Ordered a hemostat to hopefully retrieve...and a spare Saab retaining clip. I'm a bit gun shy of screwing up something worse. My lights are all working but I occasionally get the indicator on the dash...so I'm going to replace all bulbs. I really don't see how anyone has the dexterity and clearance to replace the bulbs with headlamps in place.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:35 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

I think it's good advice. I'm batting 3 for 5 on DIYs. I successfully changed the siren/alarm, replaced cigarette lighter, identified parasitic draw and removed radio (friend installed new Kenwood). I failed on the speaker trim ring braking off 4 tabs....but think I've fixed with an epoxy (Plastex)....also made a tab for the front grille. I tried on the easiest headlight....and now the retainer clip is wedged back in housing...can see in front lens against a high beam fish eye. Ordered a hemostat to hopefully retrieve...and a spare Saab retaining clip. I'm a bit gun shy of screwing up something worse. My lights are all working but I occasionally get the indicator on the dash...so I'm going to replace all bulbs. I really don't see how anyone has the dexterity and clearance to replace the bulbs with headlamps in place.
When changing the bulbs you do not need fingers like Polish sausages that's for sure.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:50 PM

I just replaced my passenger side low beam headlight. First bulb on this car. I found this post, but didn't read all the way to the first page where the pics & instructions are until AFTER I replaced the bulb.

Instead, I found another post that referred to this web page that also has extremely helpful pics: https://howtune.com/articles/108-rep...sler-crossfire

I read some spooky posts that talked about removing the front fascia.

However, my experience was pretty easy. I didn't time the process, but I'm sure it took less than 5 minutes. The key was using a long-handled needle-nose pliers with angled handles.

The key to not touching the bulb with my fingers was…not touching the bulb with my fingers. I sliced the package open and removed the bulb with the pliers. Then I re-set the bulb in the pliers for insertion in the car by holding the bulb by the metal plug prongs.

The key to not losing the little wire clip was just carefully unhooking it from the retaining hook. My bulb was the outboard passenger side, which is apparently the most difficult one to reach. Nah, it wasn't that hard. And, yes, I've dropped my share of tiny little parts into blind crevices requiring major disassembly to retrieve. That just wasn't my experience this time around.

Thomas

Old 04-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

My passenger side just went. Luckily, this thread happened to pop up. Thanks musclefan21 for the pictures, 180 and everyone else for the helpful advice.

Thumbsup

Old 06-08-2017, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My drivers side headlight went out and I replaced it today but not without a lot of problems.

I first tied a string on the spring. Then I started the removal. I tried to pull the connector off the bulb which caused me to dislodge the spring and the crack the glass part of the bulb so that it fell into the housing. I tried for quite a while to pull the connector off with right angle pliers but stopped when I started hearing the connector crack. I then decided to just remove the clip and pull the bulb( reallly just the base at this point.) Getting the connector off when the bulb base was loose was still tough but I did separate it. But now I have the glass from the old bulb loose in the housing. I could not fish it out, I can't even see it. And reassembling the bulb and clip feels very loose. I think I bent the clip trying to pull the connector. I took a photo before disassembly so I know it is put on In the same orientation. I gave up. Not enough time to pull the housing and get the glass out.

not a very satisfying job. I will have the shake out the old bulb later.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:26 AM

I have about a dozen new clips made, $10 ea incl shipping.
email your address to alaxfire@aol.com ( paypal (friends and gifts ) to same address)

If you want to save the 10 bucks, remove the unit, remove the other bulb and clip and use that as a pattern to bend the bad one back in shape.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about a dozen new clips made, $10 ea incl shipping.
email your address to alaxfire@aol.com ( paypal (friends and gifts ) to same address)

If you want to save the 10 bucks, remove the unit, remove the other bulb and clip and use that as a pattern to bend the bad one back in shape.
I didn't realize other folks were bending their clips. I don't feel so bad now. I thought my situation was unique. I remember posts about losing clips but not just straight up bending them

Quick Reply: HOW TO replace headlight bulb. Pictured step by step instructions