Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Vent Selector Knob/Switch is unresponsive

Old 12-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vent Selector ****/Switch is unresponsive

Hi all,
Hoping to pick your brains about my most recent issue.
I noticed air comes out only from the front vents regardless of where the vent selection ****/ switch is pointing. Ie i can't get the air to blow to my feet or to the windscreen.
The vent selector switch feels and clicks around normally.
The fan speed switch works fine.
The rolly polly temperature wheels work chinner too.

Is this a common issue?
I'm quietly hoping for a quick, simple, cheap solution 😀.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:20 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: Vent Selector ****/Switch is unresponsive

Originally Posted by 15Spokes
Hi all,
Hoping to pick your brains about my most recent issue.
I noticed air comes out only from the front vents regardless of where the vent selection ****/ switch is pointing. Ie i can't get the air to blow to my feet or to the windscreen.
The vent selector switch feels and clicks around normally.
The fan speed switch works fine.
The rolly polly temperature wheels work chinner too.

Is this a common issue?
I'm quietly hoping for a quick, simple, cheap solution 😀.
The vent selector ***** connect to a square shaft behind the faceplate, if you have the faceplate off when playing with the radio for instance the shaft can sag and not align with the square hole in the rear face of the ****.
You have to be sure you get the shafts aligned and in the correct position rotation wise so that the **** selects the vent it is set to on the dial.
I hope that is your problem and helps.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:15 PM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Doesn’t the vacuum line under the battery feed that control?

Old 12-11-2018, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by JSK
Doesn’t the vacuum line under the battery feed that control?
Oh..i did re-seal my oil breather covers recently.
I recall there was one black, hard, 10mm plastic tube that did not seal well back into the rubber tube it came from. Ie it slid in and out easily.
I'll check that...thankyou

Old 12-11-2018, 10:28 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

The vent selector ***** connect to a square shaft behind the faceplate, if you have the faceplate off when playing with the radio for instance the shaft can sag and not align with the square hole in the rear face of the ****.
You have to be sure you get the shafts aligned and in the correct position rotation wise so that the **** selects the vent it is set to on the dial.

Dave (180) is right on with this shaft alignment. The matching of this shaft to the receiver must happen or the MANUAL door selections will not happen. I am pretty sure the 'clicks' happen in the 'head' unit, so that would not be an indication of properly aligned matchup. Check to make sure this shaft is properly inserted into the vent damper receptacle or you will not be able to direct the airflow. The air directional dampers are all manual, not pneumatic, so the air line is not the issue here. Good luck!

Old 12-11-2018, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Dave (180) is right on with this shaft alignment. The matching of this shaft to the receiver must happen or the MANUAL door selections will not happen. I am pretty sure the 'clicks' happen in the 'head' unit, so that would not be an indication of properly aligned matchup. Check to make sure this shaft is properly inserted into the vent damper receptacle or you will not be able to direct the airflow. The air directional dampers are all manual, not pneumatic, so the air line is not the issue here. Good luck!

Hmm.. interesting. I haven't removed the radio or the face plate so is there a chance that this shaft has fallen out on its own? Is this a common thing? How much of the interior do I have to pull apart to check this? Just the radio? or more?
Sorry about the barrage of questions but I have been on a steep learning curve since owning this little beauty.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:26 PM

Hmm.. interesting. I haven't removed the radio or the face plate so is there a chance that this shaft has fallen out on its own? Is this a common thing? How much of the interior do I have to pull apart to check this? Just the radio? or more?
Sorry about the barrage of questions but I have been on a steep learning curve since owning this little beauty.

If you purchased the car used, someone else may have had that control out. Has anyone removed the radio? You will need the radio removal tools (one in each lower corner of the radio) then that uncovers two screws inside that hole. Find a radio removal post, and a A/C control head removal/install post, to get the info you need. Hope that is all that is needed (aligning the shaft). Good luck, search is your friend!

Old 12-12-2018, 10:43 PM

If you purchased the car used, someone else may have had that control out. Has anyone removed the radio? You will need the radio removal tools (one in each lower corner of the radio) then that uncovers two screws inside that hole. Find a radio removal post, and a A/C control head removal/install post, to get the info you need. Hope that is all that is needed (aligning the shaft). Good luck, search is your friend!

The car was bought from a one owner who had an issue years ago with stuck CD's, so there is a good chance the radio has been previously removed.
I have since started investigation and did identify I would need radio removal tools. (they didn't come with the car, did they?)
I am currently on my desktop so will commence decent search for previous posts. I access this wonderful site mostly from my mobile phone where "search" is not your friend.
Much appreciated. Thank you!

Old 12-12-2018, 11:09 PM

Simple question.
Did these dials ever work while you have owned the car?

Old 12-13-2018, 05:00 PM

Simple question.
Did these dials ever work while you have owned the car?
I've had the car for about 6 weeks.
There was one time where the windscreen fogged up so I directed the air to the windscreen and it cleared (from memory).
Other than that one instance I haven't really checked, so I am not ruling out it was faulty when I got the car.
I noticed the vacuum hose connection at the rear of the engine (shown below) was very loose and was not air tight. I made the connection air tight last night by sealing the joint with amalgamating tape but it did not fix the issue.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:35 PM

I've had the car for about 6 weeks.
There was one time where the windscreen fogged up so I directed the air to the windscreen and it cleared (from memory).
Other than that one instance I haven't really checked, so I am not ruling out it was faulty when I got the car.
I noticed the vacuum hose connection at the rear of the engine (shown below) was very loose and was not air tight. I made the connection air tight last night by sealing the joint with amalgamating tape but it did not fix the issue.

You'll have to find those pesky radio removal tools, they are available in the USA in walmart but I have no clue where you'll find them in aussieland. Once you get those two RR tools, remove the radio and you'll see two screws. From memory, that's about all I can remember. Find the radio removal and A/C head removal help files (.pdf) here in the site and read them carefully. Those will help you out much better than trying to talk you through it. If you print them, you can have them there with you in the car. But first, you MUST have them two tools. BTW, once the tools are in the radio and you get the radio out, it is tricky to remove those tools. I don't remember how but once the Chrysler dealer (under a warranty call for that A/C head) almost destroyed my radio trying to get them out. I am not sure, but I think you have to push the locking tab in while pulling on the tool in each corner. Members, please advise if I am incorrect on removal of the two corner tools in the radio? Good luck!

Old 12-15-2018, 12:12 AM

It is a purge valve for the emissions, it vents the charcoal filter into the intake if I remember correctly.
If you click on ‘Index of Crossfire problems .......’ in red in my signature and go to the Radio heading you can find a PDF on the instalalation of the navigation radio. In this article you can see the tools and how to remove the radio and the faceplate.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-15-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:14 PM

180, You were right. The 2x selector shafts were not mated to their female sockets. Took over an hour of repeated attempts to line then up but got it in the end and now my selector **** works.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:53 PM

180, You were right. The 2x selector shafts were not mated to their female sockets. Took over an hour of repeated attempts to line then up but got it in the end and now my selector **** works.

Glad you got the removal tools, and glad this was the only problem. Thanks for returning with the solution, I am sure my added instructions helped some?

Old 12-23-2018, 04:10 PM

You'll have to find those pesky radio removal tools, they are available in the USA in walmart but I have no clue where you'll find them in aussieland. Once you get those two RR tools, remove the radio and you'll see two screws. From memory, that's about all I can remember. Find the radio removal and A/C head removal help files (.pdf) here in the site and read them carefully. Those will help you out much better than trying to talk you through it. If you print them, you can have them there with you in the car. But first, you MUST have them two tools. BTW, once the tools are in the radio and you get the radio out, it is tricky to remove those tools. I don't remember how but once the Chrysler dealer (under a warranty call for that A/C head) almost destroyed my radio trying to get them out. I am not sure, but I think you have to push the locking tab in while pulling on the tool in each corner. Members, please advise if I am incorrect on removal of the two corner tools in the radio? Good luck!

Thank you Graphite Ghost your advice was very valuable. Those radio keys are a bit tricky. On one side it took a fair bit of force to insert it but you know when it's in as you feel and hear it click in and the key goes almost all the way in. On the other side it took a fair bit of jiggling but eventually it also clicked in. When the keys are inserted they pull in spring loaded latches flush with the side of the radio enabling the radio to easily slide out. Your memory was correct about removing the keys. While the radio was out I pressed the spring loaded latches inwards (towards the centre of the radio) while pulling the keys out. The keys easily slide out. I then slide the radio into its spot until the side latches engaged.