Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

I got picked on, three times today!

Old 12-16-2005, 12:09 AM
sbj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I got picked on, three times today!

Yeah, that would of been pretty nice if my brothers '04 stang was stick. lol

Old 12-16-2005, 12:18 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
On the other hand Andrew, I've met quite a few Viper owners who baby their cars, just like alot of Crossfire drivers do. I was just pointing out that a car that usually impresses it's owner, as well as most of the public, can be had for approx. the same price as a mod'd Civic or Stang. Of course, as with any car, (especially a high performance car) you want to check it out as much as possible before you buy it. But I doubt if it's any harder to find a Viper that hasn't been abused, than it is to find a good used Mustang. And do you really think a Civic that is so pumped up that it turns in the 11's is going to be any more dependable than a V-10 Dodge that was originally designed to take some "heavy handed" treatment right from the factory?
As for them being faster, the way I see it, you can go as fast as you want to spend, no matter what you're driving. But if I go to the drags in my "stock" Viper. And get beat by a Stang, that isn't "stock", all that says is that he spent money to "modify" his car, and I didn't. And when the day is over, I go home in a Viper, and he goes home in just another Mustang. Sure, he goes home the Winner! But trust me, it's really hard to feel like a "loser" when your driving a Viper.
oh i agree... not all vipers have been abuse. in fact... most probably haven't been driven hard. kinda like a corvette (most have been babied). but this is a car that seems to be very easily to wreck for an inexperienced driver with more money than driving skills. the rear end steps out without notice under hard acceleration (lots of torque). i see many many for these cars with damage or body work of some sort. this would be a major concern for me. i don't think you could really hurt a viper by driving it hard... the car was made for this in mind. mileage really has an effect on resale pricing. indeed...a heck of a car for the money!

the civic fast or not... it's not for me.

Old 12-16-2005, 01:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Andrew: I've seen more knuckleheads with more car than their experience can handle on the track... You saw the photos of the C6 that was totaled during my last outing at Willow Springs... I used to own a Corvette that was built by (the infamous) Dick Guldstrand and it took me nearly a year of track time to be able to handle that car and feel comfortable with it...

The Viper is a monster if you don't know how to handle extreme power and torque... I wouldn't buy one because it's just too much hard work for me to enjoy on the track. I took a full blown race version on a few laps at CA. Motor Speedway on the road course and loved the power, but was tired as sh*t after two laps and wanted to go take a nap afterwards... LOL