Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

SKREEM Repair Infomation

Old 08-31-2019, 05:30 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default re: SKREEM Repair Infomation

My SKREEM is working fine. What kind of response would I get if I wrote a letter to FCA demanding that they make SKREEMs available because someday, maybe 6 or 8 years from now, I **might** need one. So, I have no legal standing in this situation since my SKREEM is working.

If that is true about no law requiring parts to be available for 6 or 10 years or whatever, then it's even worse than I thought--when a car maker decides to abandon the parts supply, they can, and it will always boil down to "not enough profit in it to keep the supply chain going." How many times have we heard here and on Facebook, "never take your car to the dealer".

I'm not sure how the "useful life of the vehicle" is determined, but if it can be defined, it would have to be a time and/or mileage limit. And I would think since most original owners trade the vehicle after 4-6 years, that might legally be considered the useful life. If somebody owns a nicely preserved '52 DeSoto with only 60,000 miles on it, do they have a legal right to go to the Mopar parts counter and demand a new radio for it?

Old 08-31-2019, 06:15 PM
Received 368 Likes on 325 Posts

The difference is this is a vehicle specific item that when it breaks renders the vehicle totally useless. There are no parts in the 52 DeSoto that can't somehow be replaced with something that will keep it running. I restored Studebakers for years and there is still lots of NOS parts out there. If it is no longer profitable for them at least give the technology and ability to replace them to an aftermarket supplier. It must be of no use to them???

Old 08-31-2019, 07:45 PM
Received 585 Likes on 488 Posts

If a car becomes a piece of scrap to be recycled due to the lack of a basically cheap part then the manufacturer is responsible for tons of waste and the pollution that comes with it. That may be OK with Donald Duck but not most folks with an inkling of sense.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! Some really articulate messages and well stated opinions here.

I bought a beautiful, well maintained black coupe at a good price a month ago and was as pleased as I've ever been after buying a car. One day later I'm trying to find a way to get set up with a spare key and I realize the situation. After struggling with internet sales of "used" keys touted to be programmable and falling victim to service people swearing to it, I think what kind of a predicament have I had gotten into. The bottom line for me is why spend $500 to $700 for a spare key when a failed immobilizer module or ECU will render the car nearly without value. I can't sell the car without telling the potential buyer the situation because I'm not like the salesman and dealership from where I got it. So I'll enjoy it while it lasts and hope I do not suffer the fate held by wolfstalker. He has my sympathy and well wishes because as said, it can happen to any one of us. No wonder Chrysler is no longer one of the big three. What a stupid decision to create a mid priced car with a security scheme of ridiculous magnitude and then cease to support it.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I seem to have been misunderstood. I'm not out to get Chrysler - just to get these parts back on the shelf and available, coded, through Needswings or anybody else. Sooner rather than later. I assumed Needswings got the parts from them because that's what they said on their webpage or when I ordered. Also their video clearly shows the OEM part. If an aftermarket company or Siemens were to "buy" the code data from Chrysler presumably the only way to make money on investment would be if owners bought units for their cars. I restored a Citroen DS, and had to scrounge many places for parts I needed. And when I drove it I carried extra hydraulic fluid with me - just in case.

The concept of buying an OEM SKREEM module from the manufacturer who originally designated them for the car when the part malfunctions is the standard procedure. Creating a threat situation of "you better get more than one if you want to be sure to be able to use your car is something else. The "get 'em while we got 'em" sales pitch equates to ticket scalping - which I think is legal now in Michigan. It pits every Crossover owner against all the others. Of course, if there is demand, people would make and market them, as with normal parts. But because of the secrecy of the vehicle specific codes no one can do that. Maybe we need an "Enigma Ap" for smart phones that would try all codes and put in the right one? I don't think so.

Siemens seems to be content with selling the appropriate part to MB. They send the part out through the same kind of distributing system as Chrysler/MOPAR. MB doesn't give anything away - and they don't have these 100% price increases. I didn't tell Chrysler to sell itself to Daimler. I didn't tell them to design this car or use the systems they did. They made it and distributed it through their dealers, and I bought and paid for one. (Actually I bought mine from the Service Manager at a Texas MB dealer - it was his wife's car and always maintained at MB.) So I did my part. I just want Chrysler to do the reasonable and right thing and provide a channel where I/we can purchase the parts we need and want. If I want a power steering pump, I can buy it from Chrysler, MB or in the aftermarket. I can't do that with the SKREEM. If I would have known FCA would treat owners this way I would never have bought one, and I doubt few others would.

You guys that tout the virtues of your cars, list the modification, are proud of your wheels - you could be walking tomorrow. Maybe your car's SKREEM has already decided not to "play well with others" and the next time you try to start it you can SKREEM too. I don't wish it on anyone, but every owner needs to be aware that this can obviously happen to anyone, any car, and then you go instantly from being a "have" to a "have not". Start paying for a tow or tows, calling, writing, searching - no solution in site. TS. Sell it? To who? For what? Don't forget to keep paying for it, insuring it, paying for plates, for a place to keep it. Fix it? Drive it? "We can't help you." Try next month, next year.

This is bullshit. We have to get this fixed.

Gentlemen: Chrysler has known of this situation for a long time and has not corrected it.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:14 PM

Here's a video - starting at about 47 seconds in - of a Daimler Kraut gushing over their new Halo car, and how smart they were to bring it to market so quickly.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by g wheels

I bought a beautiful, well maintained black coupe at a good price a month ago and was as pleased as I've ever been after buying a car. One day later I'm trying to find a way to get set up with a spare key and I realize the situation. After struggling with internet sales of "used" keys touted to be programmable and falling victim to service people swearing to it, I think what kind of a predicament have I had gotten into. The bottom line for me is why spend $500 to $700 for a spare key when a failed immobilizer module or ECU will render the car nearly without value. I can't sell the car without telling the potential buyer the situation because I'm not like the salesman and dealership from where I got it. So I'll enjoy it while it lasts and hope I do not suffer the fate held by wolfstalker. He has my sympathy and well wishes because as said, it can happen to any one of us. No wonder Chrysler is no longer one of the big three. What a stupid decision to create a mid priced car with a security scheme of ridiculous magnitude and then cease to support it.
Mid priced car? They were probably the highest priced cars in the Chrysler line up at the time, so high they had to be severely discounted to sell most of them.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:00 PM

Scott M - I don't think it is in any way asking something unusual for the manufacturer to stock/supply a part for a car this age. With the Crossfire sitting, my daily driver is my 2001 Sebring Limited rag top. It has about 101K on it, the Crossfire 60K-something. When I repair electrical issues and have the shop do mechanical stuff like brakes, belts, shocks, etc. I have instant choices of parts in all price ranges from OEM to Bangla-trash. I just plunk the computer and it may say "leaving in 32 minutes" or a bit later, but I can get 5 deliveries a day from World Pac to the shop in Downers Grove, IL.

That's what really ticks me off. Chrysler foisted these cars and parts and systems (like the circulating ball steering) on the public and then refuses to back them up. I'm not asking them to do something special, I'm asking them to do something right. Why don't they just call Siemens or MB and buy a hundred of these things at $270. and have them Fed Exed to wherever they need to go and just charge the $550. - Isn't a 100% markup enough? Wouldn't it be a good move to help their customers out? This is the way a conscientious company and management acts. Ignoring, giving lame excuses, is a sign of insecurity and weakness. If the guys at the top can't delegate this and get it done in a week, they are weak. If I was CEO I could call the top guy at MOPAR, tell him "My secretary is bringing you an issue Want done NOW. Do whatever it takes to remedy this problem and get back to me when it's done. No later than Friday noon."

If these people are finally aware of this and can't get that done, FCA has more serious problems than we think. The devil is in the details, AND how you deal with them.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe this may be a possible work around if the right software people could be found to do something similar.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:21 PM

That may be true, after all, somebody designed this thing. But this system was engineered by MB, and supplied as part of the vehicle platform, mechanics and electrical, that MB "donated" to this "halo" project. It's used in many if not all MB cars. They created this monster to keep cars secure, although many MBs are stolen. I'm almost 82, and don't believe I'll be around long enough to see that, or a bypass, developed and available.

If I can get a new working SKREEM and the car is operating as it should, then I think I'll sell mine. My first Chrysler was a 1956 300B - wish I could trade this car for one of those, but of course, they are worth more now then a pack of Crossfires. And the is sad, because they nifty little roadsters. If anyone wants to buy a top condition 2005 yellow automatic roadster ( except for the SKREEM unit not functioning and therefore rendering the car inoperable) I'll entertain offers.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by wolfstalker
That may be true, after all, somebody designed this thing. But this system was engineered by MB, and supplied as part of the vehicle platform, mechanics and electrical, that MB "donated" to this "halo" project. It's used in many if not all MB cars. They created this monster to keep cars secure, although many MBs are stolen. I'm almost 82, and don't believe I'll be around long enough to see that, or a bypass, developed and available.

If I can get a new working SKREEM and the car is operating as it should, then I think I'll sell mine. My first Chrysler was a 1956 300B - wish I could trade this car for one of those, but of course, they are worth more now then a pack of Crossfires. And the is sad, because they nifty little roadsters. If anyone wants to buy a top condition 2005 yellow automatic roadster ( except for the SKREEM unit not functioning and therefore rendering the car inoperable) I'll entertain offers.
I'll open the bidding at $3,000 as I have to push it all the way to Canada.
Josh will clone your working SKREEM for $300 I think it is, no help to you though. If he can do it others can as well, I believe one such company has been mentioned here. Give him a used SKREEM, your SKREEM and $300 and you have a spare, there obviously is some risk to your existing SKREEM I would imagine.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:00 PM

How do I contact Josh, and where is he? I read somewhere about having this done, but thought I needed a working SKREEM unit, which, of course, I don't have

Old 09-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is a possible solution option for you:

https://www.ecudecode.co.uk/02612083...ypass-Service/

0261208353 | 0 261 208 353 | A1121535779 | HW 38.03 | Bosch ME2.8 Chrysler Crossfire Immobiliser Bypass Service

Last edited by Toolman; 09-01-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:38 PM

Thanks Toolman. I sent them an email and asked about their bypass service, and the price for their services, and if they can do it with just my unit - I only have the one SKREEM in the car. I'll post here what I learn.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:09 PM

How do I contact Josh, and where is he? I read somewhere about having this done, but thought I needed a working SKREEM unit, which, of course, I don't have
Originally Posted by Toolman
Here is a possible solution option for you:

https://www.ecudecode.co.uk/02612083...ypass-Service/

0261208353 | 0 261 208 353 | A1121535779 | HW 38.03 | Bosch ME2.8 Chrysler Crossfire Immobiliser Bypass Service

That says Bosch but our part is a Siemens part?

Old 09-01-2019, 11:09 PM

The web page shows both Bosch and Siemens module. Says this:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

After three years of R&D in house we have made a solution to free run this engine ECU. The car will start with any key, there are no signs visible displaying in cluster or by diagnosis. All your remote keys will continue in the normal manner. This service is made uniquely for the original vehicle ECU, all coding and VIN remain original. The immobiliser box remains in the car with all connectors attached.

This service offers a solution when the 1708201726 5WK48697 Siemens Immobiliser box will no longer allow the correct engine start status. Start error shows in the cluster and the engine fails to crank. In this situation if the engine ECU can not be re-personalized after resetting, a new OEM precoded Immobiliser box will be required to keep the remote keys functional and car free of other gremlins.

This service is uniquely produced for your ECU, subject to work load three days may be required to carry out this process. This is our own solution, all work is carried out in our office. All our normal solutions apply to this engine ECU contact us if you require another service.

We require your engine ecu, immobiliser box and key with your contact details.

Note this: In this situation if the engine ECU can not be re-personalized after resetting, a new OEM precoded Immobiliser box will be required to keep the remote keys functional and car free of other gremlins.

That's where I am now - can't get a precoded immobilizer box from FCA/Chrysler/Mopar/MB. I don't see how this helps, but I emailed them for clarification, price, etc. I'll post what I find out.

I emailed them to inquire exactly what I need, price, etc. Not an easy place to find.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by g wheels

I bought a beautiful, well maintained black coupe at a good price a month ago nd was as pleased as I've ever been after buying a car. One day later I'm trying to find a way to get set up with a spare key and I realize the situation. After struggling with internet sales of "used" keys touted to be programmable and falling victim to service people swearing to it, I think what kind of a predicament have I had gotten into. The bottom line for me is why spend $500 to $700 for a spare key when a failed immobilizer module or ECU will render the car nearly without value. I can't sell the car without telling the potential buyer the situation because I'm not like the salesman and dealership from where I got it. So I'll enjoy it while it lasts and hope I do not suffer the fate held by wolfstalker. He has my sympathy and well wishes because as said, it can happen to any one of us. No wonder Chrysler is no longer one of the big three. What a stupid decision to create a mid priced car with a security scheme of ridiculous magnitude and then cease to support it.
This pretty much mirrors my recent purchase --- I am one who usually does a lot of investigation about the background of a potential purchase but the price & condition of this 06 coupe just took over my usual methodical methods ! As you mention , I'm just going to follow what advise is available here & enjoy the car .

Old 09-03-2019, 10:28 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

His name is Josh Chase and he is skaterjosh09 on here, I believe. He is also on a few of the FB pages. I have reached out to him, Rudy Compart and Terry Reiling about my problems both on here and on FB and have received no response from any of them. Either they don't know how to help or they are not online much anymore. But - I am still hoping they see my request as Josh has proven time and again that he understands what can and cannot be done to these systems.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by RL67037
His name is Josh Chase and he is skaterjosh09 on here, I believe. He is also on a few of the FB pages. I have reached out to him, Rudy Compart and Terry Reiling about my problems both on here and on FB and have received no response from any of them. Either they don't know how to help or they are not online much anymore. But - I am still hoping they see my request as Josh has proven time and again that he understands what can and cannot be done to these systems.
I think the obvious solution is the elimination of the SKREEM immobilizer functions altogether. Keeping just the remote key functions active would be good enough for me. If that company in the UK can do it then others can too, I thought a US or Canadian based company had already done it.

Does anyone know if the plugs to the SKREEM can be removed just by taking off the DS under dash panel? That would be easier than having to remove the instrument clustered and the spare SKREEM could just hang there if you were caught away from home.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Received 368 Likes on 325 Posts

Wolfstalker, are you in Riverside Ca or ?

Quick Reply: SKREEM Repair Infomation