Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Official Tire Review Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Official Tire Review Thread

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
can the mods sticky this? every other car forum on the net has a tire review thread stickied in the tire/wheel section so it would be nice if this site had one too.

Rules: only post reviews on tires that YOU personally have used on your crossfire.

CHEAP TIRES:

Home - Discount Tire Direct (FREE SHIPPING)
Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels
Discount Tires From Cooper Tires, Falken Tires & More.
Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More Online Shopping | eBay
[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Brand: Kuhmo
Model: Ecsta LE Sport Max Summer
Size: 255-35/19
Treadwear: 280
Rating is 96Y

My Crossfire is a 05 six speed coupe. I have been running nothing but Continentals the first 40K. Used their various Sport Contact 2, Sport Contact 3 etc. All handled great and were amazing in the wet. However, they all were gone (rears) in less than 10k miles. Note that the wear was even across the tires, with no obvious alignment issues. Believe, me, I had this issue checked and rechecked. Fronts lasted about 24K.
These Kuhmos are finally a sop to try something cheaper. I have been using Kuhmos for over 10 years on my Miatas with great results, so I thought why the heck not on the Crossfire.Note that these are Y rated, not W's which is what the car came with. So far I've gone about 5 k and they still have a lot of tread. Sorry, but I haven't measured, just eyeballed. Handling is good, not as great as Continentals. Wet is very good. Can't really compare handling as I still have Conty's on the front.
So far, I would buy them again. If you are on a bit of a budget, they are far cheaper than Michelins or Continentals.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi
I've got these on my radar. I have the previous model Proxes on my SRT and am very pleased with the ride. The new Proxes PLUS look very promising, and you can't go wrong with a 45 day/500 mile "No Regrets" trial period to test them out. 560 rating and 45000-50000 mile warranty just sweetens the pot.

Toyo Proxes 4 Plus - YouTube
the toyo proxes 4plus sounds good to me i have done a lot of research and i did order a full set... fronts 225/40zr-18xl 92y and rears 255/35zr-19xl 96y from les schwabs here in my home town they are going on my srt-6 on Monday and I'll post a review after i put a few fun miles on them.... and hey if i dont like them in 500miles or 45days ""no regets" kicks in....

Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Definately get back with us on these. Just pulled them up and noticed the 50K 560 utog rating. Fronts are around the corner for me and these look like a good candidate as long as they don't slide all over the place.. Just put the General Gmax on the rears.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Definately get back with us on these. Just pulled them up and noticed the 50K 560 utog rating. Fronts are around the corner for me and these look like a good candidate as long as they don't slide all over the place.. Just put the General Gmax on the rears.
yea I'll do that for sure....just went thru a set of SUMITOMOS top tires in 11k miles...never again for me SUKITOMOS if you like to drive with any spirit, please don't get me to wrong on them they road very good but could not hold up to spirited driving....i think for what i payed for them i should have lasted maybe 16 k miles or better....i know about whearing out tires being a very sprited driver...well well see for $1,200 what the 4 plus has instore for my srt-6....

Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by HiFiBri
I had the Conti's new, they lasted about 35,000.

Then I had Toyo Proxxes T1R's, I liked them and they lasted about 40,000.

Last year I found Cooper Xeon RS3-S's ("S" for Summer, they also make an "A" for All-Season), and I like them every bit as much as the Toyo's and they were considerably less money. I'm not a "racer" kind of guy, but do "drive it hard" once in a while and find they are fine. I am more into them lasting, as expensive as they are, so I can't speak to track performance.

They were developed for the Rousch Mustang, and they are "affordable" and I find their performance to be quite good. I do remember the sidewalls were so stiff, they hard a hard time mounting them. They had to let them sit in the Florida sun for awhile.

Have to agree contis lasted 32000 and were getting real noisy.Did some reserch and found for the price the coopers were the ones.Ride, handling ,quiet,looks , a real nice tire.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Forum Regular

1st. day i do the handling so far but i only put 50miles on so far but they are also munch quieter than others i have had ......

Last edited by fastfred; 12-04-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Forum Regular

I took my srt-6 out to the hills and the twister's for about 100 + miles and the tires where great corning in the rain,panic stops,traction was very good in the wet and all around handling was far better than most... i would recommend this tire on a wet road and I'm still waiting to test out the tires on the day road.......and i was really surprised, the ride was not stiff at all ...if you like a stiff ride that you fell every bump you will not like this one i mean-its really a smooth ridding tire ....for me it is the best tire i have had so far.....also i would like to say that this is not a stock car I'm running the tires on and i did push it a bit and the tires held very well.....

Last edited by fastfred; 12-08-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Forum Regular
Post Re: Official Tire Review Thread

Originally Posted by hpmotors
[B][COLOR=Red]Brand: Kuhmo
Model: Ecsta LE Sport Max Summer
Size: 255-35/19
Treadwear: 280
Rating is 96Y

My Crossfire is a 05 six speed coupe. I have been running nothing but Continentals the first 40K. Used their various Sport Contact 2, Sport Contact 3 etc. All handled great and were amazing in the wet. However, they all were gone (rears) in less than 10k miles. Note that the wear was even across the tires, with no obvious alignment issues. Believe, me, I had this issue checked and rechecked. Fronts lasted about 24K.
These Kuhmos are finally a sop to try something cheaper. I have been using Kuhmos for over 10 years on my Miatas with great results, so I thought why the heck not on the Crossfire.Note that these are Y rated, not W's which is what the car came with. So far I've gone about 5 k and they still have a lot of tread. Sorry, but I haven't measured, just eyeballed. Handling is good, not as great as Continentals. Wet is very good. Can't really compare handling as I still have Conty's on the front.
So far, I would buy them again. If you are on a bit of a budget, they are far cheaper than Michelins or Continentals.
I got the Kumho Ecsta 4V all season to replace the Conti all season OEM tires on my rears a couple of weeks ago. Good price if not good service from Sears. Much quieter ... I can hear the wind noise through the window rubber again

Careful in the wet when you have better tires on back ... the stability control gets unhappy.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 PM

My Pirelli Z's were cupped and the rears were worn out. After a alignment, I replaced them with Kumho Ecsta 4X all season. They ride much better and alot quieter. I paid with taxes $915 at a local shop in Lynchburg, VA.

Bob

Old 01-17-2013, 05:00 PM
cjw
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess Ill get my reviews in for the past year.
Michelin Pilot super sports 285 35 18, only put 5000 miles on them in the past year but they are great, hook up well and are not loud, no problems in the rain, they can get a little loose in the rain with the smaller pulleys but only if you try, little expensive now, I got very lucky when buying mine.
Nitto Nt05 295 35 18- Great autocross tire, we are using these on concrete with 55 second runs and little cool off inbetween, in 80 degree weather no need to spray (will have to wait and see in the summer), they seem to heat up fast and stick very well.
Nitto Nt01 235 40 18- only used these for 1 event but so far impressive, a lot cheaper then hoosiers and take the heat from 2 drivers well. stiff sidewall with 38 psi and had no issue with roll over. will get more feedback this summer
Kumho Xs 245 35 18 and 285 35 19- Very good autocross street tire, we had these co driving on 50-60 second runs and got alsmot a full year out of them, at least 140 runs a lot of which in 100 degree weather. they heat up fast and stick well when hot, only thing is theyre very loud in cornering which is no issue if your racing. thing we liked best is that both fronts corded on the exact same run without flipping the tires.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by splintergrain
New Sumitomo's on as of last Friday. I burnt the last of the tread off of the old tires on the way to the store.

I can't believe how much of a difference they make. I'm glad I stuck with them. Total: $975.00 including mount and balance from Big O Tires in Greenwood, Indiana. I am extremely happy with them.

I should have the Rotex Golds in this week, can't wait!
Rotex Golds are amazing! well worth the price to not have to deal with the brake dust. Sumatomos still gripping strong. 53,000 miles on the car now. Been to East Coast 3 times, West Coast once, all over the "fly-over states".

Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Forum Regular

Just slapped on some Westlake SV308's in the front, cost me $218 for both, and $14 to mount and balance them myself at the hobby shop on base. Pretty nice for a cheap tire, I couldn't find any KDW's for less than $300 here on the island.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:09 AM
Forum Regular

Seems we did not get a follow up to the TOYO Proxes 4+ but i will let you know. i am getting them Monday. Ddid not see the Video till after i oredered them. I like the part about a quieter ride. My Contentails (orginals) hit 28000 miles and they are really wearing in the inside (back only) They rotated last time and did a free alinment for me. told me for sure i had to about 32000 miles but i have a large trip coming up and don't want to fail on road...so goes the Tax refund. Lets see, 50k on the tred, quieter, better gas milage...what more could you want. Bought them at Les Scwab.

Kj

Old 04-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 472 Likes on 329 Posts

I just ordered another set of these yesterday.
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110

I went with the larger rears again (285/35/19)
I kept the stock size on the fronts (225/40/18)

I got 30,000 miles on these tires in just over 3 years.
Price now for the set of 4 is $782 at Discount Tire which is still less than TireRack current pricing.
Discount tire is currently offering a $80 rebate on purchases of sets of 4 of these tires so cost after rebate will be $702 + tax.

GREAT TIRES - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110

Old 04-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cody M
BRAND: FALKEN

NAME: 452 SUMMER TIRES

SPEED RATING: Y

WEAR: 10,000 MILES

CAR: 2004 COUPE

These tires have been great for me so far. They have great traction and is hard to break loose. Great traction in wet conditions. Have drivin in a straight downpour on expressway at about 80 mph and the tires handled like a champ. Pretty cheap as well. about 110 dollars per tire. I would recommend for a mid range summer tire for anyone who drives expressway and does a little bit of autocrossing on a budget.

Not sure if I can agree on the 452's as I am looking for replacements for them now. My rears are done at about 15k and I dont drive too hard and my fronts are so noisy I thought I needed bearings.

I am looking for a good replcament tire that is quiet and also has a pretty decent wear life.

Any one with thoughs on the following four:

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110
Nitto Motivo
Nitto Invo
Michelin Pilot Super Sport

I am wanting to replace my rears and probably my front tires as well.

Thanks

Nate

Old 04-15-2013, 04:29 PM

Not sure if this belongs here or in the racing section but has anyone tested the Toyo Proxes TQ's? Seems like the lsx guys like 'em but i haven't been able to find a thread with these on a SRT-6. Any knowledge of these tires would be appreciated.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM

I need to shop for these soon and looks like Bridgestones get the most votes. I see that some listings here show (235/40/18 AND 285/35/19) - but the sizes I find for my '05 Ltd are (225/40R18 & 255/35R19) on Bridgestone.com Should I go up a size on these ? One of my biggest concerns is help with handling through puddles, I don't mind spending a little extra to remedy this. Suggestions anyone ?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Nitto Invo's are very good tires I have them front and back on my car and when hot stick very well and good in wet weather as well. Just don't know about mileage yet as they only have 8k on them but still look almost new.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Forum Regular

OK i wanted to wait to post on the toyo 4 plus till i had some miles on them well i now have 5k on them and i have to say A+ on the tires they hold on curves very well in wet & dry and wet & dry traction is also very good and just all around handling is great i did take them up to speeds that i was not sure my srt would do and at high speeds handing was great, still a very smooth ride, and wear so far is also good ....you don't know me so a little back ground....i would like to say that i have been around racing for long time, not to boast but i did a lot of racing with Ferrari's in my younger days so i do speak with some knowledge,I'm not a man that works on them but i drive them,so i have had a lot of different tires under me on the track and can tell good tires from not so good tires.....(the TOYO PROXES 4 plus is a great all weather tire).

Last edited by fastfred; 05-17-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

Thanks for the info fastfred

Quick Reply: Official Tire Review Thread