Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Question...303 protectant for convertible top

Old 09-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question...303 protectant for convertible top

Hi,

For those of you who use the 303 brand protectant for your convertible top....which one do you use?

There is the Fabric protectant....but it does not say that it contains any UV block capability.

Then there's the Aerospace protectant that does contain UV blocking, and it lists convertible tops as one of its uses....but most of the uses listed are non-fabric types.

So...which is the right product to use???

Thanks

Old 09-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Question...303 protectant for convertible top

This is what I use on mine and it works great makes the top look brand new

303 Kit 2 for
Fabric Convertible Tops

This All-in-One Kit contains both the 303 Convertible Top Cleaner AND the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard - Everything You Need to Keep Your Tops Looking Like New !
303 Convertible Top Cleaner utilizes a unique "colloidal" action to lift and suspend oil, grease and dirt. It does not contain soap, detergents, toxic organics, phosphates, nitrates or caustics. 303 Top Cleaner is extremely effective and extremely safe and leaves no residue like most cleaners.
303 High Tech Fabric Guard is powerful enough to protect fabrics in the harshest environment ...outdoors. safe for the finest fabrics, wool, silk, and fine leathers - including suede.
On outdoor fabrics, 303 High Tech Fabric Guard restores lost water repellency and stain repellency to factory new levels. 303 High Tech Fabric Guard resists soiling, impedes mildew formation and helps protect against the sun's harmful UV rays.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I use the fabric guard. LOVE IT!

Here's another post on this product.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ric-guard.html

Old 09-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

I just got the 303 Frabric protector last week, still haven't put it on but plan to do so for the fall Dragon. My car sits in a garage all the time and the top still looks clean and new. I don't thinik the previous owner ever protected it, it is said he hever allowed it to get wet.

I'll put it on maybe this weekend - in about 3 light coats.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the kit and I thought my top looked clean , until I used the cleaner that came in the kit,,,, I was really suprised at the dirt it loosend up , really made a difference. even before I applied the protective coat. beads up really nice and will soak you if you roll the window down at the wrong time

Last edited by hcarter; 09-15-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by hcarter
This is what I use on mine and it works great makes the top look brand new

303 Kit 2 for
Fabric Convertible Tops
This All-in-One Kit contains both the 303 Convertible Top Cleaner AND the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard - Everything You Need to Keep Your Tops Looking Like New !
303 Convertible Top Cleaner utilizes a unique "colloidal" action to lift and suspend oil, grease and dirt. It does not contain soap, detergents, toxic organics, phosphates, nitrates or caustics. 303 Top Cleaner is extremely effective and extremely safe and leaves no residue like most cleaners.
303 High Tech Fabric Guard is powerful enough to protect fabrics in the harshest environment ...outdoors. safe for the finest fabrics, wool, silk, and fine leathers - including suede.
On outdoor fabrics, 303 High Tech Fabric Guard restores lost water repellency and stain repellency to factory new levels. 303 High Tech Fabric Guard resists soiling, impedes mildew formation and helps protect against the sun's harmful UV rays.
Thanks HCarter,

I followed your lead and bought the 303 HTFG kit. I will do my top this weekend...weather permitting.

Just a thought...has anyone tried using the 303 Aerospace protectant on their wheels? I have the roadster with the silver painted alloy wheels. Would this help in preventing the brake dust from sticking?
What do ya think?

Thanks

Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HCarter,
I did a little experiment when I last applied the 303, sprayed a small amount on one of the side windows and let it dry over night. When I returned the next morning it was dry but a little sticky. I had to use mineral spirits to get the stuff off, window cleaner wouldn't touch it.
The Ragg top protectant has paraffin or the like in it, I suspect the 303 does also?
Bill,

Old 09-17-2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by billangiep
HCarter,
I did a little experiment when I last applied the 303, sprayed a small amount on one of the side windows and let it dry over night. When I returned the next morning it was dry but a little sticky. I had to use mineral spirits to get the stuff off, window cleaner wouldn't touch it.
The Ragg top protectant has paraffin or the like in it, I suspect the 303 does also?
Bill,
This is what I posted on a different thread regarding 303 Fabric Guard. If you go to their MSDS link at the bottom of their page you will be taken to a site where you are supposed to be able to review all their products; however with the exception of the Fabric Guard, they all say proprietary. Go figure

Originally Posted by Erzer
You have to do a little searching on the MSDS information to find more about the Petroleum Distillates

CAS No. 64742-94-5

Solvent naphtha
Solvent naphtha (petroleum), heavy arom.;C12-15 ALKANE/CYCLOALKANE/AROMATIC HYDROCARBONS;C10-11 AROMATIC HYDROCARBONS;AromaticSolventNaphtha;CHEMDYE RED RD;CHEMADYE ORANGE 6HL;CHEMADYE RED HO;CHEMADYE RED GR;CHEMADYE GREEN IG;CHEMADYE VIOLET AB;CHEMADYE BLUE SG;CHEMADYE GREEN IB;AROMATICHYDROCARBONSOLVENT;Losungsmittelnaphtha (Erdol), schwere aromatische;Distillates (petroleum) intermediate cracked: Hydrotreated Distillate, Light;Solvent naphtha (petroleum), heavy arom. Kerosine - unspecified;aromatic solvent 200;solvent naphtha petroleum, heavy aromatic;Heavy aromatic naphtha solvent

RTECS No. WF3100000

Old 09-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Banned

The short answer: Ragg Topp's protectant nature lies in the use of wax (paraffin), while 303 uses oils (petroleum and kerosene). Both are perfectly acceptable treatments to shed water and contaminants. The Ragg Topp's wax, in my view, tends to collect and capture more lint and dust, especially when softened in the hot sun.

Take your pick.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:47 PM

Erzer,Thanks..
That was the link I found,still really no clue as to whats in the 303?

Dwight,
I suspect that they are using the petroleum (naphtha/kerosene) as a propellant to get the product on the top? Still after my little experiment I believe that there is some type of wax/paraffin in the 303?
A lot of fabric waterproofers use silicone as the active ingredient but they don't last nearly as long as the 303.
It's a mystery, heck if all that was in it was petroleum, you could paint the top with your used motor oil ?
Bill,

Last edited by billangiep; 09-17-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 PM

I believe I've read this thread thoroghly but I still have a question. I believe I'm correct in assuming the 303 cleaner will not harm glass or paint. One reply mentioned a glass problem with the protectant so do you guys reccomend protecting paint and glass from 303 protectant overspray? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Gumpert
I believe I've read this thread thoroghly but I still have a question. I believe I'm correct in assuming the 303 cleaner will not harm glass or paint. One reply mentioned a glass problem with the protectant so do you guys reccomend protecting paint and glass from 303 protectant overspray? Thanks in advance.
Yes, you need to protect the glass and paint. I got a cheap plastic drop cloth from Lowes (used for covering carpets when painting), and opened the top enough to tuck the plastic in all around, and then closed the top. I used newspaper and painters tape to cover the rear window.

Remember several light coats are much better than one heavy coat.

Oh, and for the wheels.... If you have the OEM brake pads, nothing is going to help with the brake dust. Swap out the brake pads with some Akebono ceramic pads, and you will never see dust again. Ceramic pads are a must on these cars.

Last edited by bmorgan; 06-13-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Thank's for the speedy reply! Yes, those brake pad replacements are very high on the list. Dragging my left foot for stops and still dust!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 PM

I put up a post on the 303 of my top during the winter. All I can say is that I am really impressed by this finish and my top looks like its new. As far as water repellancy it is really good. I didn't both to make another "rinse" video because it would be redundant. The 303 products get top ratings from me.

Here's my earlier post:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tible-top.html

Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM

thanks For The Link. I Remembered Seeing Your Pictures But Couldn't Find Them And Didn't Know If Was Prep For 303 Products. Again, Thanks. Very Helpful.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:48 PM

ABSOLUTELY ...the fabric guard....4 years use and my top looks as good as brand new...

Old 06-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Forum Regular

It sounds/looks really good. Is it necessary to mask off the car before use?
I did a quick search and it seems that the products are readily available at marine dealers - more than at auto product suppliers. I don't know about pricing, though.
John

Old 06-17-2011, 03:23 PM

See my earlier post re the prices that I found. The marinas and West Marine did not carry the Fabric Guard, although they had the other 303 products.

I feel that it is necessary to mask of the car - just to ensure that you don't create a mess and have to clean overspray off the paint. For the time it takes it is worth it. The spray is a fine mist and so you can reasonably expect it to float in the air and deposit on your paint.

I'm fussy and I didn't want the messy cleanup. Based on what I've seen this product leave on glass - I wouldn't want it on my paint. Mask the rear window well. If it drips on the glass you'll remember why you masked off the car.

I don't wash my car very often, but today I did just to get dust of it. The top beaded up remarkably when I sprayed it. It seemed to dry fairly quickly (at least to the touch). I've left it up in the garage to dry until tomorrow. I'll use the lint roller on it and then put it down and throw the cover on. It still looks like new!

Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by BRappaport
Thanks HCarter,

I followed your lead and bought the 303 HTFG kit. I will do my top this weekend...weather permitting.

Just a thought...has anyone tried using the 303 Aerospace protectant on their wheels? I have the roadster with the silver painted alloy wheels. Would this help in preventing the brake dust from sticking?
What do ya think?

Thanks
I found the best way to keep the silver wheels clean is 'Red Stuff' disk pads and a good coat of wax. Works wonders for me. Before the new pads, I had to clean them every time I drove it, but now NO DUST !!!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ottawa John
It sounds/looks really good. Is it necessary to mask off the car before use?
I did a quick search and it seems that the products are readily available at marine dealers - more than at auto product suppliers. I don't know about pricing, though.
John
I would recommend putting newspaper around the sides of the top when applying the fabric guard. This will help keep it off the paint. I went to my local 303 rep and they didn't have any in stock. I ordered mine directly from 303.

Originally Posted by gfalcone
ABSOLUTELY ...the fabric guard....4 years use and my top looks as good as brand new...
Well, I don't have four years, but almost have 2 1/2 years and the top still looks great. I do keep mine garage parked.