Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Paddle shifter install instructions completed

Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Paddle shifter install instructions completed

Ok..............if I know you're coming I will bake a cake!

Old 02-20-2012, 06:19 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Ok..............if I know you're coming I will bake a cake!
With Nick not going, there might be a piece left for Dave.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey folks, i dont want to side track the thread, but i do have a question about the whole paddle shift system, i read through the build thread a while back, maby i missed the point.

This K40 interface box?. Does this transmit the upshift/downshift selection from the shifter paddles to the autostick in the center console without having to run any wires down the coloum?. ie.. using the existing wiring and such in the steering coloum? And then soldering into the autostick from a 2nd interface box

From my understanding theres a spare wire thats part of the whole roating coloum assembly?

This kits got me intriqued but want to know what exactly it does.

Last edited by Sik Srt-6; 02-20-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by Sik Srt-6
Hey folks, i dont want to side track the thread, but i do have a question about the whole paddle shift system, i read through the build thread a while back, maby i missed the point.

This K40 interface box?. Does this transmit the upshift/downshift selection from the shifter paddles to the autostick in the center console without having to run any wires down the coloum?. ie.. using the existing wiring and such in the steering coloum? And then soldering into the autostick from a 2nd interface box

From my understanding theres a spare wire thats part of the whole roating coloum assembly?

This kits got me intriqued but want to know what exactly it does.
You should probably get your answers from the "Professor" (Chris) but yes, you've pretty much nailed it.

The interface at the paddles get power from the horn supply only and do not use any wire through the steering column.

Have you not placed an order yet? Time is of the essence and life is short!!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
You should probably get your answers from the "Professor" (Chris) but yes, you've pretty much nailed it.

The interface at the paddles get power from the horn supply only and do not use any wire through the steering column.

Have you not placed an order yet? Time is of the essence and life is short!!

"the professor" was my driver nickname in NASCAR : ) I don't hear it so much that last few years .... guess it's time to pull my dirt-latemodel out of the trailer and get it race-ready
Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Sik Srt-6] Hey folks, i dont want to side track the thread, but i do have a question about the whole paddle shift system, i read through the build thread a while back, maby i missed the point.

The K40 is a convenient place to BOTH pick up power for the paddle-interface main module AND to tie into the horn switch output (from steering wheel) and then finally tie-in the new horn drive signal (from the paddle-interface main module to the k40/horn relay).

there is no wire added to the column because the paddle switches are added to the horn line in the steering wheel (after being voltage coded by a small interface module that comes with the kit and mounts under the steeering wheel aribag).

The kt, in a nutshell, comes with harnessing and modules (2 modules, 2 main haresses and one sub harness) that work together as follows:
a) a small module (under the airbag) adds the paddle switch signals to the horn wire
b) a harness is supplied that directs those signals to and from the car's harness at the K40 module (along with power) to the "paddle -interface main module".
c) the "paddle -interface main module" then converts the voltage coded signal from the steering wheel into upshift, downshift and honk signals,
d) a second supplied harness takes the upshift and downshift signals to the shifter (where it connects to a sub harness that gets soldered into the shifter. Additionally, this harness also sends a signal back to the "paddle -interface main module" the enables the upshift and downshift signals ONLY when the shifter is in "DRIVE".

hope that answers your questions.

Chris

Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ah ha! I was wondering what the tapping into the center of the 5 wire connector was for, the drive signal. Thanks Professor Chris. Oh, btw, what are the 2 up/downshift voltages?

tks... Mario

Old 02-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by turbomar
ah ha! I was wondering what the tapping into the center of the 5 wire connector was for, the drive signal. Thanks Professor Chris. Oh, btw, what are the 2 up/downshift voltages?

tks... Mario
if you are asking what the up and down voltages are in the shifter; they are both normally 5vdc (and 0vdc when activated)

if you are asking, "what are the coded-voltages between the steering column and the paddle-shifter-main-module", the answer is approx 9vdc for "DOWN" and 5vdc for "UP" (or 9/14 x vbat and 5/14 x vbat respectively).

The directions cover checking the validity of your install by measuring resistance (rather than voltage) as i think that is a better approach

"DOWN" is 3.65k ohms to ground, "UP" is 1.2k ohms to ground.

Chris

Old 02-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That answers my question and more. Thanks Chris!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Answers my questions too.. Thanks

Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Paddle shifter install instructions posted here

Originally Posted by latemodel21
The Paddle shifter install instructions are posted here ....

They are complete although there are a few more and/or better pics I hope to add.

The Paddle shifter thread https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...dle-shift.html was getting long and much of the discussion has more to do with the history of this mod than anything else.

So, I thought I would start a new thread with a PDF copy of the install instructions at it's beginning (so finding them will never be too hard).

I am hoping that in this thread I can answer any questions that are not made clear in the instructions and in turn update the instruction pdf when it seems appropriate.

I am continually looking for ways to make the kit easier to install and welcome and and all input.
Constructive feedback on the instructions and the Kit is always welcome either here or in PM.

Also, if you have already done the install and have any Tips you would like to share that you feel might help others, please post those here too!
Chris

Many thanks to:
MMZ_TimeLord
LantanaTX
Bigkid & Rudy@speedriven
JimmySkullz
ImportLabSRT
Jason_HBC
32Krazy!
and others ...
for their contributions both directly and indirectly to the content of these instructions
Trying to download the instructions without success... Can you please send me a copy at sikdogg@yahoo.com?? Thanks much.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Finally got to drive the car today after doing the paddle shifter install during Christmas Holidays while the car was in storage.
Pleased to report that everything works like it should. The car is a complete BLAST to drive now. I can't wait to get the car on a track.

Chris.... THANK YOU !

Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 AM

Installed the paddle shifters months ago with the help of the instructions/illustrations and Chris's guidance over the phone. My car has been sitting for most of the last 3 months, which prevented me from thoroughly testing out the new mod and the difference it has made to my car. WOW! I rarely use my shifter any more I drove my car pretty much all day yesterday and it's as if I'm driving a new car, so much more engaging. I also have the TCU tuned by Eurocharged, which is the perfect combination with the shifters.

Because of my lack of experience doing a mod like this, it took me forever to figure out a few of the steps in the process so having Chris help me out on the phone was a great benefit. Experience is a great teacher I must say!! Looking at the instructions, initially, was a bit intimidating. However, once you're in the thick of it, things start to make sense. I did throw a tantrum and broke a few things, but got through it with the help of Chris. It was worth it! Looking over the instructions now, it all seems so simple

Thanks Chris for your contribution to the forum and this amazing modification!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
087.JPG (1.15 MB, 129 views)

Last edited by gr8len; 03-24-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8len
Installed the paddle shifters months ago with the help of the instructions/illustrations and Chris's guidance over the phone. My car has been sitting for most of the last 3 months, which prevented me from thoroughly testing out the new mod and the difference it has made to my car. WOW! I rarely use my shifter any more I drove my car pretty much all day yesterday and it's as if I'm driving a new car, so much more engaging. I also have the TCU tuned by Eurocharged, which is the perfect combination for the shifters.

Because of my lack of experience doing a mod like this, it took me forever to figure out a few of the steps in the process so having Chris help me out on the phone was a great benefit. Experience is a great teacher I must say!! Looking at the instructions, initially, was a bit intimidating. However, once you're in the thick of it, things start to make sense. I did throw a tantrum and break a few things, but got through it with the help of Chris. It was worth it! Looking over the instructions now, it all seems so simple

Nice looking interior you got there. Where are your SRT6 seats?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:27 PM

I knew somebody would ask! I was never a fan of the SRT Alcantara seats and preferred the Limited all leather seats. Plus my seats were worn and was looking to either reupholster them or get new ones. Well, I found a pair of practically brand new seats on Ebay for $300!! They look fantastic in the car, couldn't be happier!

Old 03-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I knew somebody would ask! I was never a fan of the SRT Alcantara seats and preferred the Limited all leather seats. Plus my seats were worn and was looking to either reupholster them or get new ones. Well, I found a pair of practically brand new seats on Ebay for $300!! They look fantastic in the car, couldn't be happier!
Looks awesome!

Old 03-24-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by FUBU
Looks awesome!
Thank you FUBU! I appreciate it

Old 03-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally pulled my car out of hibernation this week... liking the paddle shifters. Although I never really manually shifted my car before, it makes me want to now. Plus there's the added 'cool factor' of them.

Thanks again Chris!

Old 03-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Forum Regular

Installed the paddle shifters months ago with the help of the instructions/illustrations and Chris's guidance over the phone. My car has been sitting for most of the last 3 months, which prevented me from thoroughly testing out the new mod and the difference it has made to my car. WOW! I rarely use my shifter any more I drove my car pretty much all day yesterday and it's as if I'm driving a new car, so much more engaging. I also have the TCU tuned by Eurocharged, which is the perfect combination with the shifters.

Because of my lack of experience doing a mod like this, it took me forever to figure out a few of the steps in the process so having Chris help me out on the phone was a great benefit. Experience is a great teacher I must say!! Looking at the instructions, initially, was a bit intimidating. However, once you're in the thick of it, things start to make sense. I did throw a tantrum and break a few things, but got through it with the help of Chris. It was worth it! Looking over the instructions now, it all seems so simple

Looks Great Len !!

Your interior looks really sharp .... and I REALLY like your wheel. Are they still available? may I ask the cost?

Glad I was able to give you a couple of little tips and help you through the install, Len.

I like to think that anyone can install this kit AND that everyone will enjoy the heck out of it and feel a sense of accomplishment (and perhaps an elevated level of self confidence) after putting it in.

Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 03-24-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buggin
Finally pulled my car out of hibernation this week... liking the paddle shifters. Although I never really manually shifted my car before, it makes me want to now. Plus there's the added 'cool factor' of them.

Thanks again Chris!
Glad the weather is letting you get your car out to have some fun.

The slk32 and srt6 have enough poop to get you going at a crazy fast rate in "D" ... so we can tend to get a little lazy relative to shifting. (I had)

I have found that in the twisty mountain roads (particularly going downhill) the shifting makes it a different car AND, around town (and of course around the track) when you shift to the lowest gear entering a turn you will get exit performance that the ESP will otherwise deny you.

I am flying to Arizona day after tomorrow to pick up another (my third : ) SLK32 ... and while the drive home promises to be nice, I will definitely be missing the paddle shifting the whole 350+ miles coming up the pacific coast highway

Chris

Old 03-24-2012, 04:31 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Drove the PCH last summer for the first time in a rental car. Can only imagine what it would be like in a SRT6/SLK32 with the paddle shift.

Quick Reply: Paddle shifter install instructions completed