Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

datalogs LEAN AFR

Old 09-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: datalogs LEAN AFR

Originally Posted by Dementors
Silverarrow, I do not have a fuel pressure gauge installed yet unless you know of another way for me to get a reading.
No, Sorry I don't. I use Zeitronix to log the fuel pressure. I have a friend who was still lean even after replacing the stock pump with the SL55 pump. I Think that the restriction is from the injectors.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I was running lean for quite a while. Re tunes weren't helping, not sure exactly why. However, after having my meth problem, removing and reinstalling everything, sending the injectors off for service, my AFR's are beautiful. (11.8 to 12.2) Being a non believer or hard headed, I stacked my Code3 with 178 crank pulley. I never made a full pull to redline because AFR's hit 16 accelerating in second gear. On went the Pierburg SL55 fuel pump and now the only place of concern is at the top of 3rd. where I hit 14 AFR. So, the pump helps. (1/4 times were identical stacked so the Code3 is back in the closet)

Summing up, start by optimizing what you have. Remote tunes are difficult for any tuner so try to make it to your nearest E/C location or preferred tuner for a dyno tune. If that can't fix it, next is the pump. Servicing the injectors is a good idea IMO. I did mine because my car sat from 9/05 until 6/08. BTW, I have some fresh serviced injectors I'll let go cheap!

Les

Old 09-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Forum Regular

Gotcha. I worked with Jerry on multiple tunes to get where I am at. I will run it again next week and see if the ECU has adjusted any. I think Rob sells a fuel gauge that I may buy.

I am with you on the injectors. I was going to go to the fuel filter, regulator, and then injectors if necessary.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dementors
Jesse, to clarify, I replaced the fuel filter but not with the high flow. I read your reply to fast the first time.
Thanks for posting your graphs. I am surprised at the difference in AFR from yours to mine with similar mods. I am curious what fuel pressure you are now running too. I need to get a reading on mine as well.

Originally Posted by Silverarrow
Great information, thanks
here is another link that I like

Stealth 316 - Injector Duty Cycle Calculation

Originally Posted by hustler316
I realized I'm an idiot, I posted without quoting who I was posting to.... I didn't pay attention to the the fact that Austin hijacked the thread lol.

Jesse: you have way to much fuel or a timing issue it appears...hard to say without looking at your tune. It looks like you need to pull some fuel as has been stated already but without seeing what your car is running for timing it's hard to say exactually.
Good advice, thanks! I am giong to buy the ultra guage since I can't afford the dashdaq right now to get some readings on LTFT and see what the timing is doing during an open loop datalog. I just wish there was a clean way to import the ultraguage data into the zeitronix graph to keep the timing the exact same.

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I was running lean for quite a while. Re tunes weren't helping, not sure exactly why. However, after having my meth problem, removing and reinstalling everything, sending the injectors off for service, my AFR's are beautiful. (11.8 to 12.2) Being a non believer or hard headed, I stacked my Code3 with 178 crank pulley. I never made a full pull to redline because AFR's hit 16 accelerating in second gear. On went the Pierburg SL55 fuel pump and now the only place of concern is at the top of 3rd. where I hit 14 AFR. So, the pump helps. (1/4 times were identical stacked so the Code3 is back in the closet)

Summing up, start by optimizing what you have. Remote tunes are difficult for any tuner so try to make it to your nearest E/C location or preferred tuner for a dyno tune. If that can't fix it, next is the pump. Servicing the injectors is a good idea IMO. I did mine because my car sat from 9/05 until 6/08. BTW, I have some fresh serviced injectors I'll let go cheap!

Les
Always great to hear your experience. thanks for explaining it so well again.

What is the cost on a looped fuel rail from TTM? This is the only real way to equalize fuel pressure and the best way to get a fuel pressure guage sensor to read accuratley right?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Here are some more datalogs (finally figured out how to add markers). This is cruising speeds and the occasional blip throttle. The AFR is really strange. It will be at 14.7 during closed loop, then jump up to max at 21 AFR, then comes down all without the throttle really being manipulated. Any time the throttle is touched the AFR's richen.

datalogsafrinconsistent_zpsc9429112.jpg

datalogsafrinconsistent2_zps56a47e9d.jpg

datalogsafrinconsistent1_zpsc0fd0590.jpg

Old 09-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Forum Regular

Let me see if I can simplify this and try to explain the problem with the lean issue a lot of people seem to have. This car in the stock form has near perfect ARF's, this is because for the amount of boost (forced air) the engine is getting, the injectors and the pump are sufficient in both flow and volume. The stock fuel filter regulates the pressure to the rail, we need around 54 to 60 psi at the rail. The stock pump is also capable of handling the pressure and the flow at stock settings.

Once we starting adding things like pulleys to increase boost this is where we run into trouble. As we add more forced air into the system we then need to add more fuel to the system in order to equalize the equation. You can't add one without the other. What most people do is add a pulley then get a tune to try to add more fuel. This combination will usually work if you are only adding only 1 or 2 more lbs of boost. In this scenario the stock fuel system is sufficient, but if you want more than 2 lbs of boost you start to ask a fuel system to do things it doesn't have the ability to do.

Lets start by looking at the fuel pump, the fuel pump on these cars are quite simple, they are either on of off, they are not regulated by voltage therefore the flow is constant. The problem with the stock pump is it can not keep up with the volume of fuel we are asking it to. When this happens we experience a drop in pressure at the rail at WOT. The numbers we were seeing were 54 psi at the rail during idle and 42 psi at the rail at WOT. At that point it became pretty apparent we needed a new pump. When you replace the pump it has to be replaced with a HIGH flow pump, it is important that it is able flow enough volume to keep up with the demands. Keep in mind the stock fuel filter is still being used, it has sufficient fuel flow characteristics to feed the system.

Next issue to address is the injectors. Remember as we add more air, we need to add more fuel. Since we just added a new high flow pump we now know we have sufficient fuel flow and pressure to the rail. Now how do we get the fuel into the engine, obviously it's via the injectors, so naturally we tell the computer to increase fuel flow through the injectors. The computer in return says "ok" and presto changeo problem solved, right? The answer is maybe...if you are running low to mild boost pressure you may be ok, but if you are running over 16 lbs ish you are probably running out of injector as well. This is why no matter what tune you throw at it it doesn't solve the problem. Although the computer is telling the injectors to add more fuel, they physically are not capable of keeping up with the demands that we are asking them to do. Even if they are able to "just" keep up, the duty cycle at which we are asking them to operate at significantly decreases their life span. So the solution as you may have guessed is bigger injectors, ones that can not only handle the volume but can also do it at a significantly lower duty cycle. This allows you some wiggle room with your tune to add more fuel if needed in the future. It also allows the injector to operate at a much more efficient rate and increases the life span of the injectors.

Moral of the story is, bigger pump, and bigger injectors are needed. Now you may be saying "in theory you may be right, but I think our cars have plenty of injectors and plenty of pump, the pressure is the problem. I think I'll just turn up the pressure to solve the problem". I will tell you with 100% certainty that that is not a solution to the problem, that is a band aid fix for a wound that needs a tourniquet. A lot of information that we have learned about this car has come not only from our race program but also from the SRT division of dodge/chrysler. I have talked extensively with a lot of the people who were involved with the development of this car. SRT is at our track quite frequently testing the Viper and I have the advantage of picking their brains while they are there.

Any question? Class dismissed!

Old 09-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's normal for the A/F to spike and hold when you let off the gas. This is for emissions and fuel economy.

Last edited by grip grip; 09-20-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try datalogging this way. forget about closed loop for now.

log afr, timing, rpm, engine load. from 2000 rpm in 3rd gear stand on the throttle and take it to redline , watching afr. if your not spiking this will allow the obdII to capture the data as fast as possible . remember rpm may not line up with timing etc due to sample rates. this is how you correctly log. the slow rpm start allows you to watch afr and back out if it goes big lean

if you want to log other parameters let it cool down and keep the samples to 4 or less parameters

Old 09-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the class Hustler. That was very informative. I will be getting some injectors just as soon as I can.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Let me see if I can simplify this and try to explain the problem with the lean issue a lot of people seem to have. This car in the stock form has near perfect ARF's, this is because for the amount of boost (forced air) the engine is getting, the injectors and the pump are sufficient in both flow and volume. The stock fuel filter regulates the pressure to the rail, we need around 54 to 60 psi at the rail. The stock pump is also capable of handling the pressure and the flow at stock settings.

Once we starting adding things like pulleys to increase boost this is where we run into trouble. As we add more forced air into the system we then need to add more fuel to the system in order to equalize the equation. You can't add one without the other. What most people do is add a pulley then get a tune to try to add more fuel. This combination will usually work if you are only adding only 1 or 2 more lbs of boost. In this scenario the stock fuel system is sufficient, but if you want more than 2 lbs of boost you start to ask a fuel system to do things it doesn't have the ability to do.

Lets start by looking at the fuel pump, the fuel pump on these cars are quite simple, they are either on of off, they are not regulated by voltage therefore the flow is constant. The problem with the stock pump is it can not keep up with the volume of fuel we are asking it to. When this happens we experience a drop in pressure at the rail at WOT. The numbers we were seeing were 54 psi at the rail during idle and 42 psi at the rail at WOT. At that point it became pretty apparent we needed a new pump. When you replace the pump it has to be replaced with a HIGH flow pump, it is important that it is able flow enough volume to keep up with the demands. Keep in mind the stock fuel filter is still being used, it has sufficient fuel flow characteristics to feed the system.

Next issue to address is the injectors. Remember as we add more air, we need to add more fuel. Since we just added a new high flow pump we now know we have sufficient fuel flow and pressure to the rail. Now how do we get the fuel into the engine, obviously it's via the injectors, so naturally we tell the computer to increase fuel flow through the injectors. The computer in return says "ok" and presto changeo problem solved, right? The answer is maybe...if you are running low to mild boost pressure you may be ok, but if you are running over 16 lbs ish you are probably running out of injector as well. This is why no matter what tune you throw at it it doesn't solve the problem. Although the computer is telling the injectors to add more fuel, they physically are not capable of keeping up with the demands that we are asking them to do. Even if they are able to "just" keep up, the duty cycle at which we are asking them to operate at significantly decreases their life span. So the solution as you may have guessed is bigger injectors, ones that can not only handle the volume but can also do it at a significantly lower duty cycle. This allows you some wiggle room with your tune to add more fuel if needed in the future. It also allows the injector to operate at a much more efficient rate and increases the life span of the injectors.

Moral of the story is, bigger pump, and bigger injectors are needed. Now you may be saying "in theory you may be right, but I think our cars have plenty of injectors and plenty of pump, the pressure is the problem. I think I'll just turn up the pressure to solve the problem". I will tell you with 100% certainty that that is not a solution to the problem, that is a band aid fix for a wound that needs a tourniquet. A lot of information that we have learned about this car has come not only from our race program but also from the SRT division of dodge/chrysler. I have talked extensively with a lot of the people who were involved with the development of this car. SRT is at our track quite frequently testing the Viper and I have the advantage of picking their brains while they are there.

Excellent summary, and I think it's something that needs to be said over and over.

I don't regret the larger injectors, I just regret not having the sense (and time/$$$) to get a proper tune before I raced a week ago. Instead, I went down there on an assumption, and paid the price with slow times despite "adding" horsepower.

It's all about the ability to keep X fuel pressure at Y boost. Yes, we all have similar cars but each car is slightly different in behavior. Pumps, filters and injectors all play a role (as does the altitude, etc).

Good writeup.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:50 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Excellent summary, and I think it's something that needs to be said over and over.

I don't regret the larger injectors, I just regret not having the sense (and time/$$$) to get a proper tune before I raced a week ago. Instead, I went down there on an assumption, and paid the price with slow times despite "adding" horsepower.

It's all about the ability to keep X fuel pressure at Y boost. Yes, we all have similar cars but each car is slightly different in behavior. Pumps, filters and injectors all play a role (as does the altitude, etc).

Good writeup.
So are you lining up a custom dyno tune in the near future?

Old 09-21-2013, 03:56 AM

This is what we also experienced. That is why I bought the closed fuel rail from Bruce at TTM with the 550cc injectors. Now I can see that the pressure is constantly beteende 56-57PSI and the AFR is still around 10.1-10.3.
The car is still not tuned properly because we are having issues with the MAP sensor which seems to give a CEL. Rob has just sent a new one so lets see if this solves the problem. We dont seem to get higher boost then 15psi Even though we are running the 61mm pulley. The map sensor seems to read the atmospherical pressure wrong, the diagnostic is saying "unreasnible atmospherical pressure value"

Will also do a intake pressure test next week.

/Adam

Last edited by Silverarrow; 09-21-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:34 AM
Forum Regular

Hustler. I now totally understand. Where are located. Are a mechanic. If so I'm tkin my car 2 u.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Forum Regular

This is what we also experienced. That is why I bought the closed fuel rail from Bruce at TTM with the 550cc injectors. Now I can see that the pressure is constantly beteende 56-57PSI and the AFR is still around 10.1-10.3.
The car is still not tuned properly because we are having issues with the MAP sensor which seems to give a CEL. Rob has just sent a new one so lets see if this solves the problem. We dont seem to get higher boost then 15psi Even though we are running the 61mm pulley. The map sensor seems to read the atmospherical pressure wrong, the diagnostic is saying "unreasnible atmospherical pressure value"

Will also do a intake pressure test next week.

/Adam
Keep me posted on your findings, we are having same boost issue.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep me posted on your findings, we are having same boost issue.
Make that "three" of us... last week at the 1/2-mile event, I only registered a max boost of 16.5 PSI... and that was read from the MAP sensor using a DashDaq. I'm using a scaling of -14.65 (to compensate for 1 ATM pressure), but even w/o the scaling in place and simply subtracting 14.65, I'm only at ~16.5

To date, I have not seen a boost figure higher than 17PSI from the 61mm pulley. I was seeing 17.5 with the 65mm pulley, and was much faster because I wasn't dumping the extra fuel from the bigger injectors. And yes, the tune I have is built around the larger TTM injectors... Mine are Bosch EV14, not sure how those differ from the TTM injectors (I know the spray pattern is different.... maybe that's the issue?)

Old 09-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by austinbarrylee
Hustler. I now totally understand. Where are located. Are a mechanic. If so I'm tkin my car 2 u.
Austin, I do wrench on the car but I am not the principle mechanic. I'm the head of the race program at Inde Motorsports Ranch and principle driver. You can follow our race season as well as build photos and race updates and videos on our Facebook page (just click the link, you'll be happy you did lol)Inde Motorsports Ranch Racing

Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 PM
THREE 6S

Cliff notes to accompany the above summary......

Originally Posted by SRT6 Gang Member
1. Fuel pressure
2. Boost
3. Injectors

You have to address one of the three to prevent leaning.

1. Increase fuel pressure to counteract elevated boost on the injectors.
2. Reduce boost levels so you don’t need additional fuel pressure to counteract the effects elevated boost has on our injectors.
3. Get larger injectors to offset the elevated boost seen by the injectors.

The SL55 fuel pump does not increase fuel pressure enough to counteract elevated boost on the injectors because it is still governed by our filter/regulator setup.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:19 AM
Forum Regular

As stated earlier we do not need to increase fuel pressure, we need to increase fuel volume and be able to maintain pressure. That is a huge difference. Also, if you only have low to mild increase in boost (2-4 lbs) a walbro pump should be sufficient. The stock fuel filter/regulator has suffecient flow charastics to supply an ample amount of fuel for most if not all engine modifications.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:50 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Which 550cc injectors are you running?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:56 PM
THREE 6S

As stated earlier we do not need to increase fuel pressure, we need to increase fuel volume and be able to maintain pressure. That is a huge difference.
Increasing the fuel pressure is one way to increase fuel volume, I agree that increasing fuel pressure is not needed, which is why I didn't do it. While not reflected in my original post, my cliff notes were drafted over 2yrs ago but reflect what you are stating now.

Also, if you only have low to mild increase in boost (2-4 lbs) a walbro pump should be sufficient.
Understood, however my boost exceeds that 2-4 lbs above stock levels, which is why I went with the SL55 Fuel Pump. Not even that is enough to correct the volume issue alone when pushing 20+ lbs or 5-6 lbs above stock levels. In comes the injectors and problem solved.

The stock fuel filter/regulator has suffecient flow charastics to supply an ample amount of fuel for most if not all engine modifications.
Correct but the stock fuel filter/ regulator is replaced when adding an ADJ F/P Regulator. That was one of the conventional ways of thinking during those times.

Quick Reply: datalogs LEAN AFR