Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

new guy new problem, HA

Old 10-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy new problem, HA

So here is the deal i bought a 2006 convertible with 21,000 original miles. it has electrical problems...

i am good with most stuff but i cannot get the top to work. the fluid was low so i refilled it. now when i open the roof the windows roll down and then the red light on the top switch starts to flash and does not stop.... i have bypassed the divider switch, just for now to verify that is not the problem and i have adjusted the latch that holds the tonneau cover down also. i also checked the trunk lock is engaged....

NEED HELP!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: new guy new problem, HA

Originally Posted by cookiemonster131
So here is the deal i bought a 2006 convertible with 21,000 original miles. it has electrical problems...

i am good with most stuff but i cannot get the top to work. the fluid was low so i refilled it. now when i open the roof the windows roll down and then the red light on the top switch starts to flash and does not stop.... i have bypassed the divider switch, just for now to verify that is not the problem and i have adjusted the latch that holds the tonneau cover down also. i also checked the trunk lock is engaged....

NEED HELP!
If the light flashes and the console beeps when you press the button, it can be the top open switch.
This is just an indication that a sensor somewhere is indicating that SOMETHING is not in position to allow movement, or you are going over 9mph.

If the light flashes all the time even when you don't hit the button, things get a lot more complicated. This is an indication that the TCM sees something VERY wrong. And the fact you had to add fluid kind of confirms that, doesn't it? You NEVER need to add fluid unless there is a leak. And by lifting the mat in the trunk or looking around, you shoulld be able to prove that.

On the passenger side, in the top above the passenger's head in the frame is the top open switch - look it over and see if it is Ok. I'd bet $20 it is not the problem, but check it.

Now, I've never seen it happen, but it CAN be, I guess, that we have a sensor in the wrong position on a cylinder - maybe it didnt go up all the way, etc. So, try this:

Put the top down manually. See if it will THEN go up with the button, if it does, see if that has fixed it over all.

In any event, check back here when you are done. I will be gone from tomorrow morning to Sunday evening, this is the TAIL OF THE DRAGON weekend. Tallk to you then.

Oh, go here to learn to move the top manually:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...operation.html

Old 10-02-2013, 08:40 PM

Thank you for the response. I have been reading a lot of your posts pizza guy. I tried to lower my top manually but it feels like it had pressure still. I unlocked the 6mm latch. The top after the d latch is released still doesn't feel like it doesn't want to open enough to get to the multi tool area. The switch light does sometime flash while driving. ....

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
If the light flashes and the console beeps when you press the button, it can be the top open switch.
This is just an indication that a sensor somewhere is indicating that SOMETHING is not in position to allow movement, or you are going over 9mph.

If the light flashes all the time even when you don't hit the button, things get a lot more complicated. This is an indication that the TCM sees something VERY wrong. And the fact you had to add fluid kind of confirms that, doesn't it? You NEVER need to add fluid unless there is a leak. And by lifting the mat in the trunk or looking around, you shoulld be able to prove that.

On the passenger side, in the top above the passenger's head in the frame is the top open switch - look it over and see if it is Ok. I'd bet $20 it is not the problem, but check it.

Now, I've never seen it happen, but it CAN be, I guess, that we have a sensor in the wrong position on a cylinder - maybe it didnt go up all the way, etc. So, try this:

Put the top down manually. See if it will THEN go up with the button, if it does, see if that has fixed it over all.

In any event, check back here when you are done. I will be gone from tomorrow morning to Sunday evening, this is the TAIL OF THE DRAGON weekend. Tallk to you then.

Oh, go here to learn to move the top manually:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...operation.html

Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 PM

This may be a stupid question, and pizza knows a lot more about the roadster then I, but are you sure that the trunk panel is in the proper position and securely nestled into both sides of the clippy things. I know that the driver side clippy thing has a switch in it that tells the car that it is secure. Just sayin ....

Old 10-02-2013, 08:49 PM

Yes as I said I bypassed that switch already to make sure that was not the problem

Old 10-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Was just playing with our roadster..Never was sure about the divider panel as it was all folded back up to the inside when we got it.. and top worked.. Was basically looking into the issue of courtesy delays not working on lights when I discovered this little deal. Almost tempted to un - bypass the micro switch, as apparently this is what has been done. Panel is back in place and wife informed.. yesterday I noticed her armorall car care kit was "trapped" under her top.. it had smashed the box down about 1/4 of in inch. Lucky on that one I do believe! And it sparked thoughts of "that shouldn't be allowed to happen".. and now I know why it was doable.

Not trying to jack your thread.. Just make sure you put your micro back online .. if not for yourself.. then possible the next owner should you ever sell..

Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cookiemonster131
Thank you for the response. I have been reading a lot of your posts pizza guy. I tried to lower my top manually but it feels like it had pressure still. I unlocked the 6mm latch. The top after the d latch is released still doesn't feel like it doesn't want to open enough to get to the multi tool area. The switch light does sometime flash while driving. ....
Without being there, hard to say if there is pressure, but with the light flashing so much, it is a sign that the TCM sees a real problem.

If you watch my video, you will see how easy manual operation is. If top wont go down, that is, if you have to PUSH or FORCE it, then yea, there is pressure on it.

REMEMBER that a proper functioning system will time out and let off pressure after about ten minutes. If the pressure won't ever release then two things:

1) With pressure on all the time, no wonder if it has leaked.
2) Constant pressure like this means that even the procedure to release pressure may not work, since the system is that screwed up.

Just, ah, check ALL fuses to be sure you have power to the top motor, there is a separate feed to the TCM and BCM.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-02-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:46 AM

what fuses do i check? i will pop the top latch this afternoon and leave the car on for 10 minutes today and see if it will relieve the pressure automatically.

THANK YOU PIZZA GUY FOR THE KNOWLEDGE AND HELP!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:53 AM

And if all else fails.. throw the "hail Mary pass"... disconnect the battery for about 15-20 minutes.. This alone actually has resolved a few quirks on these cars, believe it or not.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:29 AM

the battery has been disconnected already. i actually put a new battery in it about a week ago.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Administrator

I'm headed out to the Dragon in a few minutes.. .gotta run guys.

Click here and download the owner's manual:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ollection.html

This will guide you on what fuses to look at. All of the fuses you care about are either in the box under the hood on the driver's side or in the dash box on the driver's side (accessed by opening driver's door).

I'll be back Sunday night.

TO THE DRAGON'S LAIR!

Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 AM

thanks pizza guy. i downloaded the service manual last night but havent dug through it yet. i checked the fuses that i thought would affect it but will look again. thanks again!!! enjoy the dragon

Old 10-07-2013, 11:53 AM

PIZZAGUY where are you?! hahaha

what you think?

Old 10-09-2013, 01:55 PM

ok i got the roof down manually but still no automatic...

Old 10-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

When you release the front of the top and it raises up about 5", there is a switch just above the passengers shoulder in the top frame that verifies the top being unlatched. If this switch is not working, you get the symptoms you described.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:37 PM

ala_xfire i looked but do not see it.... i did veryify the pump works. it was holding pressure again as i tried to put it up and the system released the pressure when i did the hold the button and turn the key off.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:41 PM

When you unlatch and push it up .. there is a joint in the frame that "opens" ... that switch is integrated to work with that joint to tell the system it's in a "ready" position.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

It's this little bugger right here :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
top_switch.JPG (565.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Forum Regular

After I had the top mid cycle long enough to time out, I had to go through a reset procedure to get the top to operate. As I remember I needed to cycle the ignition key. Sorry but I can't find or remember what I did. Might have been in the owners manual.

Top service:
http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/3...-top-will.html