Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

I search beta testers for the Skreemulator

Old 03-09-2021, 03:30 AM
Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default I search beta testers for the Skreemulator

Hello,
my Skreemulator project is on the home stretch. I am looking for 3 aditional people who are willing to do a beta test for the Skreemulator.
I have tested it in my Crossfire for 5 weeks now and fixed some bugs but as they say: "There is no such thing as bug-free software".
I need your help now to find any bugs that may still exist.
All those who decide to help me now will get everything they need for a small fee. You buy the hardware, that means you can use it after the beta test, or you can trade it in later.
This means that you will get a discount on the price of the "new" Skreemulator when you return the test set.
It is certain that the following will change:
- There will be the possibility to activate a few settings by DIP-switch, for the normal user rather uninteresting. Rather for me to make the writing of software or the setting of the regions EU/US easier.
- Possibly the display will get more additional displays.

What is the Skreemulator?
It is a plug&play replacement for the Skreem module (immobilizer module) installed in the Crossfire. For the Skreemulator to work the engine control unit has to be reprogrammed by Rudy.
After installation the Skreemulator takes over the deactivation of the immobilizer and the opening/closing of the Crossfire's zentral locking system activate/deactivate the alarm system.

What do the beta testers get?
1. the Skreemulator module, looks similar to the current Skreem module and uses the same connectors.
2. a simple keyless open module which is connected to the Skreemulator and which is used to open and close the Crossfire with one of the two included remote controls. This you get from me as a gift, means I can not take any liability or support for it. This has for example with me a lower range of the remote as the original, you have to stand near to the Crossfire for this to work. However, this may be due to my installation location and it may work better behind the speedometer unit. In general, almost any aftermarket keyless open or keyless go system will work. I will still be upgrading my Crossfire to keyless go for example.
3. an OLED display to show status and display some additional data like engine oil temperature and transmission temperature.

How do I install the Skreemulator?
1. you have to send Rudy your engine control unit and he will reprogram it so that the Skreemulator works with it. I managed to make it so that even after programming your existing Skreem module will continue to work. That means you can switch between Skreemulator and Skreem as often as you want.
2. you have to remove the instrument cluster (speedometer unit), underneath is the Skreem module. Disconnect all plugs there and plug them into the Skreemulator. Then attach the keyles open module and the OLED display and the actual assembly is complete.

What do I have to do or be able to do as a tester?
1. drive your Crossfire daily.
2. install the Skreemulator (or let it installed).
3. inform me in case of errors or suggestions for improvement.

When will the beta test take place?
Between the middle of March and early April and will last between 6-8 weeks, depending on whether there are still bugs.
As written you can use the Skreemulator after the test phase, it is yours, there are as many codes stored as on the later released one, which should be enough for a car lifetime.
And it is possible to program everything so that it starts again from 1.

Finally, the necessary legal. Rudy or I can not be held responsible for any damage or other problems caused by the use of the Skreemulator this is a hobby project.

The Skreemulator module

The keyless open module

Old 03-09-2021, 08:22 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: I search beta testers for the Skreemulator

Congratulations, this is very good news. Unfortunately, I can't be a beta tester as I no longer daily drive, but I am interested in a keyless go, keyless lock/unlock system when you have it available. Please keep us posted, thanks.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:08 AM

I will not sale the keyless go system. I will of course install it in my Crossfire and would document it so everyone who will buy the Skreemulator can install it later.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to be a beta tester,

Mats Johansson
mats747200@hotmail.com

Old 12-26-2021, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Viper-666
Hello,
my Skreemulator project is on the home stretch. I am looking for 3 aditional people who are willing to do a beta test for the Skreemulator.
I have tested it in my Crossfire for 5 weeks now and fixed some bugs but as they say: "There is no such thing as bug-free software".
I need your help now to find any bugs that may still exist.
All those who decide to help me now will get everything they need for a small fee. You buy the hardware, that means you can use it after the beta test, or you can trade it in later.
This means that you will get a discount on the price of the "new" Skreemulator when you return the test set.
It is certain that the following will change:
- There will be the possibility to activate a few settings by DIP-switch, for the normal user rather uninteresting. Rather for me to make the writing of software or the setting of the regions EU/US easier.
- Possibly the display will get more additional displays.

What is the Skreemulator?
It is a plug&play replacement for the Skreem module (immobilizer module) installed in the Crossfire. For the Skreemulator to work the engine control unit has to be reprogrammed by Rudy.
After installation the Skreemulator takes over the deactivation of the immobilizer and the opening/closing of the Crossfire's zentral locking system activate/deactivate the alarm system.

What do the beta testers get?
1. the Skreemulator module, looks similar to the current Skreem module and uses the same connectors.
2. a simple keyless open module which is connected to the Skreemulator and which is used to open and close the Crossfire with one of the two included remote controls. This you get from me as a gift, means I can not take any liability or support for it. This has for example with me a lower range of the remote as the original, you have to stand near to the Crossfire for this to work. However, this may be due to my installation location and it may work better behind the speedometer unit. In general, almost any aftermarket keyless open or keyless go system will work. I will still be upgrading my Crossfire to keyless go for example.
3. an OLED display to show status and display some additional data like engine oil temperature and transmission temperature.

How do I install the Skreemulator?
1. you have to send Rudy your engine control unit and he will reprogram it so that the Skreemulator works with it. I managed to make it so that even after programming your existing Skreem module will continue to work. That means you can switch between Skreemulator and Skreem as often as you want.
2. you have to remove the instrument cluster (speedometer unit), underneath is the Skreem module. Disconnect all plugs there and plug them into the Skreemulator. Then attach the keyles open module and the OLED display and the actual assembly is complete.

What do I have to do or be able to do as a tester?
1. drive your Crossfire daily.
2. install the Skreemulator (or let it installed).
3. inform me in case of errors or suggestions for improvement.

When will the beta test take place?
Between the middle of March and early April and will last between 6-8 weeks, depending on whether there are still bugs.
As written you can use the Skreemulator after the test phase, it is yours, there are as many codes stored as on the later released one, which should be enough for a car lifetime.
And it is possible to program everything so that it starts again from 1.

Finally, the necessary legal. Rudy or I can not be held responsible for any damage or other problems caused by the use of the Skreemulator this is a hobby project.

The Skreemulator module

The keyless open module
Hi Viper,
I would like to be a beta tester...However, I have an SLK230 - (same skreem) and would just like to try your system on my situation...Thank you...

Old 12-27-2021, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Drmorton
Hi Viper,
I would like to be a beta tester...However, I have an SLK230 - (same skreem) and would just like to try your system on my situation...Thank you...
Hello,
the beta test is finished, in a few weeks the final version will be available.
The skreem from the SLK has the same part number but works different. So my Skreemulator don't work with the SLK, maybe I will have a look at the SLK skreem later, to adapt the Skreemulator to it

Old 12-27-2021, 04:31 PM

Thank you for your reply...Yes...please take a look later at the slk230...I have an slk230 that has been setting for a year...I have rebuilt everything on this car, replaced the ECU, SKREEm and the ignition system, but no crank...I have actually gone thru 3 ECU/s trying to reconcile the crank issue...I can bypass everything and make the fuel pump and the starter work but something has to control the firing and fuel mixture (ECU)....Thanks again...LP

Old 12-28-2021, 09:04 AM

Thank you for your reply...Yes...please take a look later at the slk230...I have an slk230 that has been setting for a year...I have rebuilt everything on this car, replaced the ECU, SKREEm and the ignition system, but no crank...I have actually gone thru 3 ECU/s trying to reconcile the crank issue...I can bypass everything and make the fuel pump and the starter work but something has to control the firing and fuel mixture (ECU)....Thanks again...LP
You need the Skreem ECU and Keys from one SLK to get the immobilizer to get to work.
In the Key is the transponder who is married with the Skreem, and the Skreem is married with the ECU
And if this also don't work, change the ring antenna who sits over the ignition switch If the ring antenna is defective you have also the typical skreem problems.
But when you have a issue with the immobilizer the car would run for a few seconds (2 or 3 tines) after disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.
If this doesn't happened you have a other problem, maybe RCM Module

Old 12-28-2021, 11:14 AM

Thank you again for your reply, I have purchased 2 complete kits (ECU, SKREEM, key and ignition) and both have not worked...So, I am beginning to think there must be something else...You say look at the "RCM" ...not sure what that is...I have replaced the relay control module (RCM ?) if that is what you mean? I can try another one...but it came off a working car and I think it is good, I have forced the fuel pump and the starter to crank by shorting one leg of each of the relays...Anything else that I should look at or anything on the RCM that would affect the ECU ? Thank you again...LP

Old 12-29-2021, 07:45 AM

Yes RCM = relay control module, have you checked the fuses on the RCM and the fuses in the black box (driver side) under the engine hood? You have changed the ignition switch? And the ring antenna? Have a look on the plugs of the skreem and ecu are there corrosion, bad cables.
Have you experience with a multimeter?

Old 12-29-2021, 09:24 AM

Yes the SKREEM, KEY FOB, TRANSPONDER RING WIRE, IGNITION, AND ECU ALL CAME FROM A donor car that is running...I have checked the fuses on RCM as well as the power to the RCM and the grounds...I can trigger the fuel pump by opening on leg of the fuel pump relay...I have checked all the fuses under the hood (drivers side) ... The connections are good the wiring is good....I am a master multimeter user...I can ohm out anything....I have contacted a UK company that says they will turn off the IMMO in the ECU so that any key should start the car...They have a price of about $200.00 plus shipping to an from...That would remove that issue from the equation and maybe would fix the issue totally...Then I can resolve the other air pump issues top, doors, etc...That is where I am ... I cannot send the ECU to the UK company until after the first of the year so meanwhile I am still trying to figure out a resolution...That is where I have been for 6 months...

Old 12-29-2021, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

..They have a price of about $200.00 plus shipping to an from...
That is a very low price, do you know for sure they have actually done this successfully?

Old 12-29-2021, 01:06 PM

Yes...they have been doing this for a long time...They asked for the ECU number and then gave me the quote (2 day turn around) ...Actually there is a company in Washington state does the same thing for about the same, but he uses the carlimmo feature which I am trying to stay away from...There about 5 companies that I have visited with over the past six months that range in price from $200 to $800.00 ... There is just a matter of ethics and fairness and just downright theft for a service... The company in the UK ( and there are several there as well as many in Germany) ...But some are better than others...I am not convinced that I actually need this service...I have taken a "kit" from a working donor car and installed it and it did not work on my car, so I am missing something, because it should crank the car, but does not....I am wondering what else is missing from the puzzle ( perhaps the display cluster ) ....LP

Old 12-29-2021, 03:32 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Just curious, have you tested the starter?

Old 12-29-2021, 03:43 PM

Yes, the starter will engage... I am going to take a look at the transmission control and weather it is working properly .... I mean when it is in Park... I think this is supposed to register with the ECU and allow for start- crank...Not sure...

Old 12-29-2021, 04:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes, the starter will engage... I am going to take a look at the transmission control and weather it is working properly .... I mean when it is in Park... I think this is supposed to register with the ECU and allow for start- crank...Not sure...
Have you checked the pulse module that is in the fuse box under the hood next to the brake booster?

Old 12-29-2021, 04:46 PM

"Pulse module"? Boy, I have never heard of that one...What does it do and what does it look like? thank you...

Old 12-30-2021, 09:00 AM

Have you a manual gear box? If yes when you use a skreem set from a automatic transnission the car will not start because it missed the signal, that the shifter is in p or n.
I think the company in the UK is Precission ECU? Yes the can modify your ECU, so that it works without skreem, but I think they will solder a module into the ECU what's handled the immobilizer function. I could also build such a module and there are some companies who sell this modules for the SLK.
You could check with the multimeter if the skreem and ECU gets power +12V and switched +12V. If you also have a oscilloscope you could check if the can bus works, the 2 wire white plug of the skreem, Without can bus the skreem can't immobilize the ECU.
Here is a cheap oscilloscope what is ok for most tasks on the car also checking the can-bus: ebay Ozi
And here is a youtube video how to check the can-bus with a oscilloscope:

Last edited by Viper-666; 12-30-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:08 PM

The trani is automatic...Yes...I have checked for power to the ECU - have not tested SKREEM power...will do that today...So, the small Skreem connector (white wire) controls the immo....thus, no connection no immo...The ECU is still looking for that code ? Or, does the Skreem control the fuel pump and starter? I have made separate connections from the ignition to the fuel pump and the starter and thus I can turn them on with the ignition keyfob...But, the ECU is not in control and thus the Fuel pump runs continuously... However, I have an MGB that the fuel pump runs continuously and has for many years without issue...(side bar) ... I will check that power to the Skreem, do you know which pin out - lead is supposed to have power? Thank you for your help ...

Old 12-30-2021, 01:27 PM

If the immobilizer isn't deactivated the ECU will not control the ignition coils and the fuel valves and also not run the starter. And the skreem is only for sending open/close to the bcm and send the code for the immobilizer off over CAN-Bus to the ECU.
PINOUT Skreem, you can see the pin numbers on the plug (Pinout is for Crossfire or latest SLK R170).
Pin 10 -> 12V switched
Pin 16 -> Ground
Pin 18 -> 12V continius

Quick Reply: I search beta testers for the Skreemulator