Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

C32 Brake upgrade

Old 12-27-2018, 09:23 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: C32 Brake upgrade

Originally Posted by alexdc
So a perfect fit would be of 330mm?
Yes, 330 is moulded on each bridge piece. That is the OEM SRT size of disc of course.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:16 PM
DHS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

90 degree banjo fitting allows use of stock line.
Progress note: got the banjo fitting and bolt today, needed to trim the bolt, but with the trim and copper crush washers it fit. Put on the SS line and it works fine! Here is the photo. Will give the part numbers when I do the MEGA update after all is done with a test drive. Probably this Saturday!

Old 01-09-2019, 02:53 PM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

With the brake line connection in that low position how do you clear the caliper of air? Any problem bleeding brakes?

Old 01-09-2019, 03:35 PM
DHS

Explanation of each part on Saturday!
That is a view below looking up at the inside cap, the Speed-Bleeder is up at the top on the bridge. I think any air will rise to the top while flushing. I will be using the SS brake line from NeedsWings and all four calipers will be bled on Saturday, with a test drive to follow, this will be done on a taxiway and I plan on a second bleeding after that.
here is everything that will go Saturday, this is the drivers side parts. Will do a full write up with parts and explanations of what I did.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DHS

Explanation of each part on Saturday!
That is a view below looking up at the inside cap, the Speed-Bleeder is up at the top on the bridge. I think any air will rise to the top while flushing. I will be using the SS brake line from NeedsWings and all four calipers will be bled on Saturday, with a test drive to follow, this will be done on a taxiway and I plan on a second bleeding after that.
here is everything that will go Saturday, this is the drivers side parts. Will do a full write up with parts and explanations of what I did.
Thank you so much!

Old 01-12-2019, 03:13 PM
DHS

Getting ready to bleed them!
Parts List, Brembo 345mm disk, four puck calipers. On NA 2005 coupe.
Speed Bleeder SB8125L two for the front. Optional.
Venum MB W209 5mm 5x112 spacer with longer Ball Seat lug bolts.
Hose & Fitting Etc. 916-372-3588 banjo parts. ~ $25 bucks
2 Banjo bolts M10x1x22mm, BQ8095
4 10mm copper washers, BQ1016
2 Banjo Union, BQ61
Sensor NTK DF0021 need two. Optional
Dorman kit D670196 need two. Optional
Posi-Quite ceramic pads 105.08471 (pads I am trying)
two Allen head M6x1x20mm bolts for spacer/disk
two M6x1x20mm bolts for the wear sensor cable.

put the parts here so you could print it off.
Needs Wings SS Brake Line kit. Optional

Old 01-12-2019, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by DHS

Getting ready to bleed them!
Parts List, Brembo 345mm disk, four puck calipers. On NA 2005 coupe.
Speed Bleeder SB8125L two for the front. Optional.
Venum MB W209 5mm 5x112 spacer with longer Ball Seat lug bolts.
Hose & Fitting Etc. 916-372-3588 banjo parts. ~ $25 bucks
2 Banjo bolts M10x1x22mm, BQ8095
4 10mm copper washers, BQ1016
2 Banjo Union, BQ61
Sensor NTK DF0021 need two. Optional
Dorman kit D670196 need two. Optional
Posi-Quite ceramic pads 105.08471 (pads I am trying)
two Allen head M6x1x20mm bolts for spacer/disk
two M6x1x20mm bolts for the wear sensor cable.

put the parts here so you could print it off.
Needs Wings SS Brake Line kit. Optional
There is something missing from your list ........ the upside diwn Mercedes logos. Just kidding, I know you got them from Australia. LOL

Nice job, thanks for the info.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:59 PM
DHS

NA and SRT both with a lot of disk!
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!

I put the wheels on with the supplied bolts, not much purchase!! Next to the stock bolt not really any longer! The site says they are 40mm long and that is true but the stock ones are also 40mm so that extra 5mm spacer means the bolts are not in very far! I have sent them an email about 45mm bolts that this modification will require. On the positive side there is 3mm of clearance between the caliper and stock SRT wheel. I did drive some just around the hanger and slow until I get longer lug bolts!
OK so I am dyslexic and and like to spell things backward! LOL

Old 02-02-2019, 12:07 PM
DHS

Got the 50mm bolts for the front, they go all the way through the hub with the 5mm spacer. My spacer is not hub-centric and I drove it today. I have a little shimmy at 60 to 80, not sure if it is because of not having the hubcentric spacer. I did look around for the thinnest hub-centric spacer and found a 10mm one and got 55mm lugs. Looking at the current 50mm with the 5mm spacer I can see about 3mm of bolt on the inside of the hub. So I know I have a shimmy with this set up, l guess I need to switch to the hub-centric and see if the shimmy changes.
As for braking, after two bleeding’s the brakes are firm and seem to work well; also this should be very fade resistant. I also have the rears done and will show that on a new thread.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:32 AM
DHS

UPDATE, drove it last night on the interstate had a shimmy from 50 to 85 then slowed down and got off the interstate because I was worried something might break! First thing this mourning changed to the hub centric 10mm spacer and just did a 90 mph run down the runway, steady as a rock! So our front tires need hub centric spacers the lug bolts will not center up the wheel, these were the thinnest I could find. Will look around for 5mm hub centric spacer, but under hard braking the tire did not touch the fender. Not sure about hard braking in a turn having clearance, but this car is lower up front.
So great braking with this set up, a SRT and NA can take the 345mm disk, and for the NA cars an easy upgrade for the rear!
Drive it like you stole it!
Dan

Old 02-03-2019, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by DHS
UPDATE, drove it last night on the interstate had a shimmy from 50 to 85 then slowed down and got off the interstate because I was worried something might break! First thing this mourning changed to the hub centric 10mm spacer and just did a 90 mph run down the runway, steady as a rock! So our front tires need hub centric spacers the lug bolts will not center up the wheel, these were the thinnest I could find. Will look around for 5mm hub centric spacer, but under hard braking the tire did not touch the fender. Not sure about hard braking in a turn having clearance, but this car is lower up front.
So great braking with this set up, a SRT and NA can take the 345mm disk, and for the NA cars an easy upgrade for the rear!
Drive it like you stole it!
Dan
The thickness of hub centric spacers have to be as long as the land on the hub plus some to allow the wheel to sit on a strong face. The bore may have to be modified to clear the grease cap.
These wheels must sit on hub centric spacers, most are aware of this.
I personally am against the use of aluminum alloys for hub centric spacers. Sellers can dress up their ads with words like aircraft grade aluminum but it is still a cheap and easy to machine material giving savings to the manufacturer.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:30 PM
DHS

PROBLEM!!! Last night got a big pot hole in the rain, tire did not deflate but today it was flat! The rim bent on the inside so I could not see it last night. So I just pulled that SRT wheel and found the dent. Figured I would just put the NA wheel on until I can fix/replace the front rim. The front NA wheel will not clear the caliper with the 10mm hub centric spacer! When I torked the lugs the wheel just touches the caliper, it looks like it will need a 12mm to clear a stock NA wheel. So the SRT wheel provides more clearance than the NA. So anyone going to the CLK500 sport caliper with the 345mm disk will need wider hub centric spacer if you plan on going with a NA wheel. Remember the SRT wheel cleared with a 5mm spacer, if you can find a hub centric that thin, BUMMER!
up until last night the big brake setup was doing great, I was very happy with the braking action I had.
looking for a SRT front wheel
Dan

Old 02-20-2019, 04:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the info

Old 02-21-2019, 03:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DHS
PROBLEM!!! Last night got a big pot hole in the rain, tire did not deflate but today it was flat! The rim bent on the inside so I could not see it last night. So I just pulled that SRT wheel and found the dent. Figured I would just put the NA wheel on until I can fix/replace the front rim. The front NA wheel will not clear the caliper with the 10mm hub centric spacer! When I torked the lugs the wheel just touches the caliper, it looks like it will need a 12mm to clear a stock NA wheel. So the SRT wheel provides more clearance than the NA. So anyone going to the CLK500 sport caliper with the 345mm disk will need wider hub centric spacer if you plan on going with a NA wheel. Remember the SRT wheel cleared with a 5mm spacer, if you can find a hub centric that thin, BUMMER!
up until last night the big brake setup was doing great, I was very happy with the braking action I had.
looking for a SRT front wheel
Dan
u need 20mm spacer 2 accommodate d na wheel

Old 02-21-2019, 03:48 PM
DHS

Turbomar
Yes a 20mm is plenty, like I noted in my last post the 10mm hub centric spacer is almost wide enough, I think a 12mm would work, certainly a 15mm would work; my front end is lower with the K&W springs, so I am trying to keep the spacer to a minimum. This is for NA wheels, the SRT wheel had a good 8mm clearance. It was your video that got me trying all this!

Dan

Old 02-21-2019, 06:09 PM
DHS

Turbomar,

The NA wheel just touches the caliper so I think a 12mm or wider will work, a 20mm will be plenty. As above my 5mm spacer worked with the SRT Wheel but it wasn’t hub centric, the thinnest hub centric spacer I could find was the 10mm one on the car, that was why I used it. So the NA wheel has less offset for the caliper than a SRT wheel.
It was your video that got me started on this, I think it is a great upgrade although it requires some non-Merced’s parts, the spacer and banjo fitting.
Dan

Old 02-21-2019, 07:52 PM
DHS

Weird, I answered Turbomar’s post and nothing showed up, so did it again and both showed!

Old 02-21-2019, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by DHS
Weird, I answered Turbomar’s post and nothing showed up, so did it again and both showed!
I have had that happen, there must be a bug in the system somewhere.
This forum has been modified and there have been numerous problems. I find myiPad is terrible to use these days, mainly typing, I have complained but I have seen no results. I sometimes wonder if any one is at the controls or if it has become something else run by accountants, who we know no nothing except the bottom line numbers and get rid of people to add to the bottom line figures while they get their nice bonuses the company slides into oblivion. They then get a golden parachute and move on to ruin another company.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-21-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:11 AM

What did i just buy?
I just got these from a local boneyard here in az. The guy told me these were off of a e class but that they were the same as the 345 mm cl brakes. How do I interpret the parts numbers on this thing to determine what rotor size these are desiged for ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by Bigboy-littlecar; 04-05-2019 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:38 AM
DHS

You need to look at #190 post you can see the caliper and 345 on the steel bridge that connects the two aluminum caps. It should have two "ears" that bolt to the hub, yours looks one solid piece for the bridge with the caps on each side. my photo of the parts being painted you can see the bridges you switch the caps to the other side to get the pucks small over big.

Quick Reply: C32 Brake upgrade