All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 04-25-2017, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

[QUOTE=GraphiteGhost;886055]

Back to the OP, just ordered a brake bleeding (one person) tool for the DOT4 brake fluid I bought last week. Next month, is my annual oil change so while doing that I'll jackstand all 4 wheels and clean the rims and change the brake fluid. We'll see how that goes next month!

GG, where did you get the brake bleeding(one person) tool and cost? Have to do mine before my major trip this July. Orlando, to upstate NY(Niagara Falls area, out to Wichita, KS and back to Orlando. And any chance of some pictures on where to place jack stands, I read, I think, that you suppose to put them on the rubber jacking points, tough to do with the jack there.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

If you have a pretty good floor jack, you can jack up the entire rear via the 'pumpkin' - the differential housing, then place the stands under the side jack points.
You can then go in from one side up to the front on the cross member just behind the engine and jack up the front, then place the front jack stands also on the jack points.
Reverse for landing.

I use one like this, but I got it from Sam's Club years ago :
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by ala_xfire; 04-25-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck Max and don't forget to put your fob against your carotid artery. ROTFLMAO

Old 04-26-2017, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
If you have a pretty good floor jack, you can jack up the entire rear via the 'pumpkin' - the differential housing, then place the stands under the side jack points.
You can then go in from one side up to the front on the cross member just behind the engine and jack up the front, then place the front jack stands also on the jack points.
Reverse for landing.

I use one like this, but I got it from Sam's Club years ago :
https://www.amazon.com/Torin-T83002-...rds=floor+jack
Thanks, ala_xfire. I have a 3 tonner aluminum from Harbor freight. I have bleed brakes before, but never changed out the old fluid for new? With bike speed bleeders, you just install and open them up and let the old fluid out and add new, once empty? Any concerns about air being trapped in MC?

Old 04-26-2017, 07:23 AM

No, unless you let it run dry while bleeding the brakes.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Good luck Max and don't forget to put your fob against your carotid artery. ROTFLMAO
Oh, Christ....

Old 04-26-2017, 05:56 PM

Installed the cabin filter that I ordered a month or so ago and just received from the slow boat.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:44 PM

Installed a new-to-me manual driver's seat. Got a little extra headroom as a result.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 PM

i called her a few choice names and ordered more parts.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:34 AM
Received 368 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
What tool did you buy?

I bought ( https://www.hardwarefactorystore.com...-tool-kit-new/ ), they are on sale and are a vac style. Onle issue you will have, is making sure you do not run out of fluid (watch the master cylinder). I am a good 'instruction' follower so I'll be sure to let everyone know how it worked out. George, I don't quite understand how these 'bleeders' work AND know I have to remove my existing, so I am not comfortable with them. I'm not opening up the system if I can help it. I know many like them, its just a personal choice.

Originally Posted by djohn14296

GG, where did you get the brake bleeding(one person) tool and cost? Have to do mine before my major trip this July. Orlando, to upstate NY(Niagara Falls area, out to Wichita, KS and back to Orlando. And any chance of some pictures on where to place jack stands, I read, I think, that you suppose to put them on the rubber jacking points, tough to do with the jack there.

I got this one ( https://www.hardwarefactorystore.com...-tool-kit-new/ ), on sale and it also has free shipping , should be here soon! Jack stands go on my lower rear control arm locations where they will not get bent in any way (its been a while but I think it is where the bolts are). Front, same thing where they fit without damaging/bending anything. Good luck!

The instructions of the bleeder are attached below.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
92474.pdf (291.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 04-27-2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Added the .pdf
Old 04-27-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

That link does not work on my computer. No PDF found.
I tried vacuum on my car, I was going to say nipples but it sounded kinky.
I used my topsider which has a special bleeding hose and fitting but the vacuum caused air to be sucked in around the thread of the nipple so it had to be sealed somehow. I decided to do the job the two man way until I got the Speed Bleeders.
Speed Bleeders have a sealant on the thread which seem to do the job stop leakage of oil and air when opened a quarter of a turn.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:58 AM

Yes, that was the route I took too, vacuum first ( poor results ), then Speed Bleeders.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:20 PM

That link does not work on my computer. No PDF found.
I tried vacuum on my car, I was going to say nipples but it sounded kinky.
I used my topsider which has a special bleeding hose and fitting but the vacuum caused air to be sucked in around the thread of the nipple so it had to be sealed somehow. I decided to do the job the two man way until I got the Speed Bleeders.
Speed Bleeders have a sealant on the thread which seem to do the job stop leakage of oil and air when opened a quarter of a turn.

Worked here... I think since it isn't 'stored' on the servers, that you have to 'save' it before opening it. I just tried it and it would only let me save it before opening it. Try that, and see if it works then. I am pretty sure it'll work.

Yes, that was the route I took too, vacuum first ( poor results ), then Speed Bleeders.

The instructions say a few micro bubbles of air is possible due to the bleeder being loose and micro bubbles entering through that bleeder screw set BUT I figure if I don't open it too far, it'll suck it through until clear fluid comes out. IF some micro bubbles are 'expected' then being aware makes it easier to complete the job without any worry. Any 'sealer' will eventually not seal unless 'viscous' so the next fluid change just might result in the same micro bubbles. By then, any 'warranty' or optimum results would not result. Just my HONEST opinion (which may be totally incorrect).

Finally, nothing is 100%. That 'check' valve may fail (along with that 'thread sealer'). If ANY micro debris does contaminate that 'seat' then your left with a leaking bleeder at one or more calipers. I say don't hate for going the inexpensive route, it is of course personal preference?

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 04-27-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:31 PM
Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

I bought ( https://www.hardwarefactorystore.com...-tool-kit-new/ ), they are on sale and are a vac style. Onle issue you will have, is making sure you do not run out of fluid (watch the master cylinder). I am a good 'instruction' follower so I'll be sure to let everyone know how it worked out. George, I don't quite understand how these 'bleeders' work AND know I have to remove my existing, so I am not comfortable with them. I'm not opening up the system if I can help it. I know many like them, its just a personal choice.

I got this one ( https://www.hardwarefactorystore.com...-tool-kit-new/ ), on sale and it also has free shipping , should be here soon! Jack stands go on my lower rear control arm locations where they will not get bent in any way (its been a while but I think it is where the bolts are). Front, same thing where they fit without damaging/bending anything. Good luck!

GG, looks like a hell of a deal to me and can even understand the directions. Ordered and now just need to order the speed bleeders. Thanks again.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:44 PM

George, I will say it again and again :
SPEED BLEEDERS ! SPEED BLEEDERS !

https://www.amazon.com/Goodridge-Ble.../dp/B001657AMO

and

https://www.amazon.com/Goodridge-Spe...SIN=B001657ANS
George, when you order the speed bleeders do you get 2 or just 1, it shows 2, but doesn't state that any ware?

Old 04-27-2017, 05:44 PM

GG, looks like a hell of a deal to me and can even understand the directions. Ordered and now just need to order the speed bleeders. Thanks again.
You do not need both.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-27-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:55 PM

George, when you order the speed bleeders do you get 2 or just 1, it shows 2, but doesn't state that any ware?
It says sold in pairs and that means ?

That's right you get two.
Because nipples usually come in pairs.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-27-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:03 PM

Worked here... I think since it isn't 'stored' on the servers, that you have to 'save' it before opening it. I just tried it and it would only let me save it before opening it. Try that, and see if it works then. I am pretty sure it'll work.

The instructions say a few micro bubbles of air is possible due to the bleeder being loose and micro bubbles entering through that bleeder screw set BUT I figure if I don't open it too far, it'll suck it through until clear fluid comes out. IF some micro bubbles are 'expected' then being aware makes it easier to complete the job without any worry. Any 'sealer' will eventually not seal unless 'viscous' so the next fluid change just might result in the same micro bubbles. By then, any 'warranty' or optimum results would not result. Just my HONEST opinion (which may be totally incorrect).

Finally, nothing is 100%. That 'check' valve may fail (along with that 'thread sealer'). If ANY micro debris does contaminate that 'seat' then your left with a leaking bleeder at one or more calipers. I say don't hate for going the inexpensive route, it is of course personal preference?

PDF works now but not this am.

Those micro bubbles as you call them were a continuous cycle for me, the air always had bubbles in it and I did not trust them all coming out so I quit that method. When you see bubbles all the time oil is coming out you get a bit skeptical.

Speed bleeders rely on pressure coming from the inside so no sucking in any air.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:20 PM

PDF works now but not this am.

Those micro bubbles as you call them were a continuous cycle for me, the air always had bubbles in it and I did not trust them all coming out so I quit that method. When you see bubbles all the time oil is coming out you get a bit skeptical.

Speed bleeders rely on pressure coming from the inside so no sucking in any air.

Yeah, I can understand the lack of confidence. One thing I know is that as long as there is a vac on the system there is no way air can go against it into the caliper(s). Are you sure you didn't open the bleeder too much? Only thing I have to watch, is flow outwards from the bleeder AND enough fluid in the master cylinder. Watching the gauge mounted on the vac pump (and the flowing fluid) insures no air can go into the caliper. Then, all I have to do is make sure it doesn't suck air at the master cylinder. Seems simple enough, and nothing else to buy.

Just got the email, shipping tracking number and tracking confirmed!

Old 04-27-2017, 08:49 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

Today I put the new license plate sicker on the plate and the new registration doc in the car - Good til April 2018 now.

This is the 10th time I have done this on the same Crossfire
Bought it on April 15, 2007
Looking forward to my 10th summer cruising the Crossfire !!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?