Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

roadster rear window stick-up

Old 09-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: roadster rear window stick-up

For your information, I am a hot blond. But what good is that when NONE of the dealerships have a replacement top? And even if they did, I don't flirt with people to get what I want. I certainly doubt my husband would apreciate that let alone brag about it on the Crossfire forum.

Originally Posted by dan22644
Or if you are a hot blond like my wife, you talk them into the Chrysler "Good Will Warranty" and pay a $250 deductible. Never heard of such a thing, but she is known for talking her way into these kind of deals.

Anybody else get that deal?

And as for all the speculation about why the window fell out, I have to disagree with everything except for too much heat. The glue really looked melted. The car was always garage kept, we never drove with the windows down and top up, and pretty much babied it.

We bought the car while living in Georgia, then moved to Tampa Bay, and finally Fleming Island, Fl. It actually fell out when she was at the beach this summer, and it was scorching hot.

I did notice that the new top window is still glued in from below, but it somehow looks a little different, like there is a flat zone around the window when looking at it from the outside. Maybe I will get some pics.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by paigemartin
For your information, I am a hot blond. But what good is that when NONE of the dealerships have a replacement top? And even if they did, I don't flirt with people to get what I want. I certainly doubt my husband would apreciate that let alone brag about it on the Crossfire forum.
Oooh! Ouch!

Old 09-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Forum Regular

Paige,

Smile at Dans comments, as he did not mention flirting and just said that his hot blonde wife has the ability to "talk" her way into getting good deals.

Dan just wanted to let us all know how much he thinks of his wife! And I am sure that he doesn't want her flirting with Chrysler techs anyway

Old 09-28-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lark
I used Permatex part #81158 black silicone adhesive sealant. It is different than the 3M Window Weld part #08609 which is a urethane sealant. 3M recommends their product is used to seal primered (3M product) glass to painted car bodies Also they recommend that the orig. sealer not be totally removed(!). Permatex claims their product secures windshields, vinyl tops, metal etc.. I have used Permatex products nearly 50 years with satisfaction. I used what I could find. I came across the Crossfire forum after my repair had been completed.

Art Rigsby
It has been over two months now and the Permatex is doing great, 90F+ temps, high humidity, rain, and baths. Just wish I had noticed it before the edge had started curling.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 PM

I was just trying to tell the story an let everyone know that there may be some program to help pay for the defective top in an amusing way, and I certainly wasn't suggesting that others should do the same. Sorry it hurt your sensibilities, and please don't presume to know anything about my relationship with my wife. I'm quite proud to brag that she can save me over $1600 with a wink

Old 09-28-2009, 07:55 PM

It has been over two months now and the Permatex is doing great, 90F+ temps, high humidity, rain, and baths. Just wish I had noticed it before the edge had started curling.
The dealership did a temporary repair on our car with what looked like Permatex. It did a great job for the 6 or 7 weeks or so that we had to wait for the replacement. It looked so good that I was going to ask if I could keep it as a backup if I have trouble again in the future, but they said they had to return it to the factory in order to get the "Good Will Warranty". Who knows

Old 09-28-2009, 09:48 PM

I'm sorry I took your story too seriously. I think it was something building up inside of me and when I read your post, it felt offensive and not funny like it should of been. The Crossfire Forum is a bit of a boy's club and I felt like I should take a stand for all the women, but I singled you out, and that wasn't cool. My apologies.

Originally Posted by dan22644
I was just trying to tell the story an let everyone know that there may be some program to help pay for the defective top in an amusing way, and I certainly wasn't suggesting that others should do the same. Sorry it hurt your sensibilities, and please don't presume to know anything about my relationship with my wife. I'm quite proud to brag that she can save me over $1600 with a wink

Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 PM

I'm sorry I took your story too seriously. I think it was something building up inside of me and when I read your post, it felt offensive and not funny like it should of been. The Crossfire Forum is a bit of a boy's club and I felt like I should take a stand for all the women, but I singled you out, and that wasn't cool. My apologies.
Not a problem at all, don't even worry about it!

I was surprised when I searched the forum and found no mention of Chrysler covering any part of the repair. Maybe it's a new program? I hope others can take advantage of it too. I think it is appropriate for Chrysler to kick in some money to help with the repair, the design is clearly defective.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:17 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm not gonna hold my breath for that one!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 PM

Well I have some bad news. Not sure where to post this because there are soooo.. many posts about rear windows so I will post this under the post I made last year. I purchased a new top from GAHH in September 2009 and everything was great. Just recently, the glue began to fail and the top was curling up around the window. I brought it back to the place who replaced my top and they contacted GAHH for me. Apparently they glue they used on the first tops they made for the Crossfire tops did not work. They admitted fault and they are sending me a new top. It barely lasted 1 year. I just want to let you guys know if you purchased a top from GAHH around the same time, you may have a faulty top and you should probably get it replaced while you can. They do NOT offer a lifetime warranty, it is 2 years. FYI.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Paige

Old 08-17-2010, 10:51 PM

8/18/2010 and the Permatex is still holding with no sign of deterioration or leaks. Car is parked outside with a fitted cover but no other relief from the burning Florida sun and rain. (orig. post: 9/2009)

Art Rigsby

Old 04-11-2011, 02:42 PM

The back window of my '06 roadster just started seperating from the top. Everywhere I've called, including Chrysler, says to just replace the whole top. Instead of blowing all that cash, I think I'm going to try and fix it myself. This seems to be a common problem, but wasn't expecting it to happen before i hit 35,000 miles..

Old 04-11-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by FLwags
The back window of my '06 roadster just started seperating from the top. Everywhere I've called, including Chrysler, says to just replace the whole top. Instead of blowing all that cash, I think I'm going to try and fix it myself. This seems to be a common problem, but wasn't expecting it to happen before i hit 35,000 miles..
I used Permatex part #81158 black silicone adhesive sealant. It is different than the 3M Window Weld part #08609 which is a urethane sealant. 3M recommends their product is used to seal primered (3M product) glass to painted car bodies Also they recommend that the orig. sealer not be totally removed(!). Permatex claims their product secures windshields, vinyl tops, metal etc.. I have used Permatex products nearly 50 years with satisfaction. I used what I could find. I came across the Crossfire forum after my repair had been completed. (orig. post 9/09)

Just checked the rear window today, the Permatex is still in excellent condition. Try to find the exact product. Not sure why the copy above is so large and this is so small! Art

Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 AM

My window weld repair has held up over a year with no sign of failure...I haven't posted in a while on this thread, and thought it was time to let y'all know that if you do it carefully, quickly, and accurately, the bond with the 3m will hold vinyl and glass together quite well. If it fails, I will use an xacto knife and trim the excess off and do it all again, as I will likely be able to keep it intact until I truly need a brand new top due to the top itself needing to be replaced...Don't be intimidated to do this repair...wear some exam gloves though, as this stuff will stick to everything it comes in contact with..have some extra gloves so you can change them as they get gunked up, to cut down on possibility of smearing it on the window, paint, top, etc., and keep some mineral spirits and rag handy to wipe where you smear..it will likely happen several times as you work...also, you must work quickly to get the best bond, as this stuff wants to begin curing the second it comes out. You have about 10 minutes to get it done with the best outcome, so have everything ready before you start. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 AM

did the repair yesterday after I got off work. Was pretty messy but it seems to have done the job...going to let it sit for another 8-10 hours before I really test it. Definitely use gloves though...the stuff is extremely messy. Pretty easy fix actually...was surprised.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:29 AM

I hope you got it before the fabric started to curl, mine went unnoticed before the repair and the curl is now permanent. Not really noticeable, but I see it.

Art

Old 06-01-2018, 12:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread here.

My '05 Roadster just experienced the dreaded catastrophic failure of the rear window. A couple of years ago I noted that the passenger side was coming loose and I did a spot repair using the 3M Window Weld. Oddly, that's the ONLY part of the window that did not fail with this recent catastrophic failure.

The car is garage kept and only has 31,000 miles on it. It's pretty dry here in SoCal but not ridiculously so the majority of time. The car has probably been driven in light to moderate rain twice. I mostly drive with the top down, windows up. It's probably been driven with the top up and windows down for less than an hour its entire life. It's extremely rare that I drive any car with the windows down - sedan, coupe or convertible. It took 13 years for the window to finally give up, so I consider myself a bit lucky!!

Anyhoo..... in light of the temp fix area holding up so well, I'm going to give it a go and attempt a full repair on my own. I've got everything lined up - Window Weld, Primer, large suction cups and wooden dowels to draw the window up plus the edge clamps as shown here. I've read reports here on the forum about this fix lasting multiple years even in hot, humid environments. Fingers crossed!!!

Old 06-01-2018, 01:22 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Mike, I had to do mine about 3 years ago. So far so good in SoCal.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:50 PM
Administrator
Received 886 Likes on 690 Posts

I reglued mine FOUR times now - finally, this last time, I used the PRIMER and a LOT of it.

I then used TOO MUCH Window Weld. It's been, oh, six months I guess. Holding fine.

BUT, Crystal on Facebook has another group buy arranged with that company in the UK. This time, new tops are under about $700 with shipping.

I'm tempted....

Old 06-02-2018, 12:12 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to have a spare!

Quick Reply: roadster rear window stick-up