Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Just need a little advise

Old 05-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just need a little advise

Ok so this is my first offical post been a member for a while and i just wanted to say thanks for this site and thanks for all the help! You guys are the best!

Here is my story, I have an 05 crossfire i purchased about a year ago. I love this car with all my being. I have waited like years for this baby to come along and was really pleased when i purchase it.

So here lies the problem i need a little advise with. We recently got some rain (more like a flood) here in arkansas and of course hail so my back window got damaged in the process, basically the window came undone. Just a little. Maybe about 3 inches on the bottom. I think it actually came unglued. Plus i got a few spots of hail damage (actually i could barely tell). Then within the next day my dashboard started to light up with all these alarms. Which come to find out the ABS module went out casuing all my lights to go off and my spoiler to keep comming up. So i thought what else could happen. Well then we got our insurance involved and the guy that did the estimate said that the top couldn't be glued back i'm needing a new top. They said the abs module wasn't from water damage it just went out (how weird it that). They said if i get a new top it will take about 5 weeks to fix it!!! Here lies the problem!

What i'm wondering is if it where you would you get a new top or just try to glue it back yourself ? I really don't want to be without my car for that long espically in the summer. I was just wanting it glued but they said that it wouldn't hold and would come undone again. Even more now my insurance is saying the put a depreciation on the top because it is six years old so i will have to pay $1200 out of pocket to fix it? I just want some advise as to what you guys would do? Feeling a little stressed and unsure!

Thanks for all the input!

Old 05-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just need a little advise

What kind of insurance company depreciates the top???? That would be comprehensive and as such only your ded really applies, never heard of such a thing. Now I don't have a roadster, and the back glass thing is a known issue, and if you do some search i believe someone has the fix here.

also, how old is your battery as that would explain the Christmas tree effecct on the dash. You're sure the ABS module went south?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:33 PM

i know i had never heard of anyone putting a depreaction on a top either but that's what they did. When they told me that my mouth hit the floor and i tried to agrue with them but they said it's considered wear and tear because it was 6 years old. I was like the top it the main reason i pay for much extra for this insurance. I have seen the how-to glue it yourself and i am considering highly of doing that. Not for sure how old the battery is but we took it to a local dealership and they said it was for sure the abs module. Thanks for the input!

Last edited by cbyrd72956; 05-17-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by cbyrd72956
Ok so this is my first offical post been a member for a while and i just wanted to say thanks for this site and thanks for all the help! You guys are the best!

Here is my story, I have an 05 crossfire i purchased about a year ago. I love this car with all my being. I have waited like years for this baby to come along and was really pleased when i purchase it.

So here lies the problem i need a little advise with. We recently got some rain (more like a flood) here in arkansas and of course hail so my back window got damaged in the process, basically the window came undone. Just a little. Maybe about 3 inches on the bottom. I think it actually came unglued. Plus i got a few spots of hail damage (actually i could barely tell). Then within the next day my dashboard started to light up with all these alarms. Which come to find out the ABS module went out casuing all my lights to go off and my spoiler to keep comming up. So i thought what else could happen. Well then we got our insurance involved and the guy that did the estimate said that the top couldn't be glued back i'm needing a new top. They said the abs module wasn't from water damage it just went out (how weird it that). They said if i get a new top it will take about 5 weeks to fix it!!! Here lies the problem!

What i'm wondering is if it where you would you get a new top or just try to glue it back yourself ? I really don't want to be without my car for that long espically in the summer. I was just wanting it glued but they said that it wouldn't hold and would come undone again. Even more now my insurance is saying the put a depreciation on the top because it is six years old so i will have to pay $1200 out of pocket to fix it? I just want some advise as to what you guys would do? Feeling a little stressed and unsure!

Thanks for all the input!
Did water get into the well in the trunk that houses the central locking pump? That causes problems.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:38 PM

i wondered that myself but not really sure and the abs module is gonna cost $1100 for the part alone, my husband is a mechanic and can install it himself so that will take care of labor cost! Thank god

Old 05-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know i had never heard of anyone putting a depreaction on a top either but that's what they did. When they told me that my mouth hit the floor and i tried to agrue with them but they said it's considered wear and tear because it was 6 years old. I was like the top it the main reason i pay for much extra for this insurance. I have seen the how-to glue it yourself and i am considering highly of doing that. Not for sure how old the battery is but we took it to a local dealership and they said it was for sure the abs module. Thanks for the input!
Ok. the interesting thing to me is that if the adjuster is saying it's wear and tear, then why in the world would they even cover it at all because W and T is never covered. That's one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard. if they're saying the hail DIDN't do it, well then the W and T argument applies.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM

I agree with ya believe me i've tried to hash it out with them til i'm blue in the face. The total damage done was around $3500 and they have a check for $2300 ( i have a $500 dectubile so actually i would have to pay around $700 extra out of pocket plus the $500) stupid i know. I still can't figure it out!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with ya believe me i've tried to hash it out with them til i'm blue in the face. The total damage done was around $3500 and they have a check for $2300 ( i have a $500 dectubile so actually i would have to pay around $700 extra out of pocket plus the $500) stupid i know. I still can't figure it out!
Call your agent, and explain the situation, that your deductible is $500, but yet they expect you to pay $1200 out of pocket.

Tell them that if they don't fix the situation, you will find a new company to insure all of your possessions after this situation is closed.

BC.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not for sure how old the battery is but we took it to a local dealership and they said it was for sure the abs module. Thanks for the input!
Now I think it's the battery more than ever. (Because the dealer said it was ABS module).
Before you spend $1100 for a new module, spend around $100 on a new battery.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Check out this thread for info on gluing your window. (see thread 19).
Has worked for me and others for quite awhile now.

THREAD

Last edited by tighed1; 06-06-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:23 AM

Water in truck area could be the electrical problem you have. I keep some yellow mirco fiber towels in the well just check for leaks. Won't catch them all, but good indicator is damp feel or smell.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know that trying to actually read any insurance policy is akin to blowtorching ones eyes, but unless there is an exclusion for your convertible top, it MUST be treated like any other body panel.

My next move would be to contact the State Insurance Commissioners' office. They might have a bit more vision in matters like this?

Old 05-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Banned

Nothing more to add to the insurance conversation and the window problem is addressed fully elsewhere in the site. But it sounds like your dash also got wet. Is that correct, cbyrd?

In any event (this happened to me), you will need to let it dry out for a few days. Then if the idiot lights and spoiler are still acting up, you may need to have a number of ECU codes reset at the stealership. No big deal and hopefully (don't mention the water) your vehicle warranty will pay for the $100 tab.

Sorry about your troubles, but good luck and welcome aboard!

Last edited by Kane; 05-18-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Now I think it's the battery more than ever. (Because the dealer said it was ABS module).
Before you spend $1100 for a new module, spend around $100 on a new battery.
+1. If you have the OEM white battery, or anything over 3 years old for that matter, pull it and put in a new one. It just might clear up the codes issue too. Also check your connections there.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:38 PM

Nothing more to add to the insurance conversation and the window problem is addressed fully elsewhere in the site. But it sounds like your dash also got wet. Is that correct, cbyrd?
I don't think the dash got wet. However i do think that the trunk area might have gotten water in it and something could have shorted out that way. Talk to hubby about maybe needing a new battery and he was willing to try that! He talked to the dealership again and they are pretty set that is the abs module (i think that mainly casue that was what the code reader said). Plus they want our money too i'm sure! He said $100 bucks for a new battery would be better than $1100 for the abs.

I think he is also going to try the window repair that you guys suggested (Thank again tighed1) and see how that works. So hope all works out well. I will keep you guys posted on results

Old 05-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

There's a company called www.modulemasters.com that repairs ABS units for around $200-300. They checked out my Audi A6 ABS unit, found nothing wrong, and returned it no charge. And it worked. Other Audi owners have used them. Audi ABS units are over $1k, too. Look them up and find out if they work on Crossfires, which are basically 2003 SLK320s.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

You have not said if any water got in the trunk at all. If it did then the central locking pump buried under the foam and under the trunk mat causes all sorts of problems when it gets wet.
Look for the obvious first, do not get swung away from the moisture problem and the damage it can cause.
The ABS and battery problems would be a real coincidence.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:45 AM

You have not said if any water got in the trunk at all. If it did then the central locking pump buried under the foam and under the trunk mat causes all sorts of problems when it gets wet.
Look for the obvious first, do not get swung away from the moisture problem and the damage it can cause.

The ABS and battery problems would be a real coincidence.
I don't know that water got in the trunk but i have a feeling you are right about this. The hubby is going to check as soon as he gets and chance and see i there is water in there. I'm betting you are right!

Thanks

Old 05-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He talked to the dealership again and they are pretty set that is the abs module (i think that mainly casue that was what the code reader said). Plus they want our money too i'm sure!
Ask the dealership that if they are so sure that the module is the problem, then are they willing to swap back to the old one if that does not cure the problem with no charge incurred to you. Logical question. See how sure of their abilities they are then. If they say yes then you have nothing to lose. If they say no, well you know.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 AM

Ok we were pretty sure that its the module and i found one on ebay for $265. I was getting ready to order and then on friday the light went off. All the lights went off actually even the check engine light!! My hubs was amazed. So either it had some moisture down in it and it finally has dried up (whiich is what i said to begin with) or maybe just maybe it was loose and when hubs was checking it out to make sure it was right part he moved it just right. We gonna keep and eye on it and see if anything else happens! So thanks for all the suggestions and will keep your up to date on how it's all going!

Thanks again to all the members you guys are the best!!!