New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Stumbled upon you guys while trying to fix my xfire

Old 04-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumbled upon you guys while trying to fix my xfire

Hey guys, have an 04 crossfire with around 68k miles on it. Bought it when it had 42k 2 years ago. It seems I'm running into the "mystery no start" and quickly becoming more then ready to take a hammer to everything. I've tested the battery and it's all good. Checked the points on the RCM and everything was covered, I even put some more on just to be safe even though I'm terrible at soldering. Still won't turn over. Can hear the fuel pump start up when I turn the key. I'll get 1 or 2 "almost" starts and then it won't try to crank anymore. I can hear the click of the starter though, it just doesn't try to engage. I've seen a lot about SKREEM? Any thoughts or ideas would be huge.

Thanks

Korrie

Old 04-14-2017, 10:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How many times have you had a almost start?
Have you tried to unhook the battery wait 15 min and rehook ?

Old 04-14-2017, 10:36 PM
Default Re: Stumbled upon you guys while trying to fix my xfire

Welcome, I would still suspect the Skreem.

Last edited by S8MS-01904; 04-21-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:27 AM

I had the battery unhooked for a full day. After unhooking the battery for a little bit and resetting the system I will get 2 almost starts and then no crank. This has happened every time that ice tried to start it after messing with something so at least a dozen times.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Kgalliher519
I had the battery unhooked for a full day. After unhooking the battery for a little bit and resetting the system I will get 2 almost starts and then no crank. This has happened every time that ice tried to start it after messing with something so at least a dozen times.
Does it fit the description of the SKREEM starting? 'Almost starts' could be described as a symptom. 'Starts and stops after a few revs' is the more common description.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:58 AM

It stops before it actually starts. Everything I've read points back to rcm. Possible the whole thing went bad since the points are all covered?

Old 04-15-2017, 09:30 AM

It stops before it actually starts. Everything I've read points back to rcm. Possible the whole thing went bad since the points are all covered?
We are getting nowhere here, points are covered, stops before it starts?
We have a failure to communicate.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:47 AM

Ok. I pulled the rcm to check the 3 'trouble points, they had a good cover on them. When I turn the key the engine will crank to try to start twice without firing up and then on the 3rd try it won't even try to crank. If I disconnect both terminals on the battery to reset the system and try again it will repeat what said before. 2 cranks, no start then no crank

Old 04-15-2017, 10:02 AM

Ok. I pulled the rcm to check the 3 'trouble points, they had a good cover on them. When I turn the key the engine will crank to try to start twice without firing up and then on the 3rd try it won't even try to crank. If I disconnect both terminals on the battery to reset the system and try again it will repeat what said before. 2 cranks, no start then no crank
This is the classic symptom of the SKREEM failure.
It is not the RCM, the plastic cover can hide faults, I am not sure what you mean by this. That is like saying he cannot be dead because he has a good suit of armour on.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-15-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:48 AM

I will look into SKREEM failure then. By the cover I ment the pins in the module were not showing. Had a good solder cover on them

Old 04-15-2017, 10:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The solder joints looked fine on mine. Perfect in fact. I re soldered them anyway. That fixed it. Never had another problem.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Re: Stumbled upon you guys while trying to fix my xfire

I will look into SKREEM failure then. By the cover I ment the pins in the module were not showing. Had a good solder cover on them

Just a thought; could have a bad relay on your RCM? Maybe send a pm to Tighed1 for his opinion & possible repair. My $.02. Curious about Skreem failure, ie; cause(s) and how common?
(e-mail: tighed1@hotmail.com) Posted on Forum.

Last edited by lovecross; 04-16-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: add info.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:30 PM

So pulled RCM looked everything over again to make sure it was right. Even tore the dash apart to make sure wires to the SKREEM mod were connected and in good condition. Noticed when I turn the key and leave it in the "on" position the starter makes some noise. A low electrical humming and then after about 25 seconds it clicks a few times and stops without turn the key to the start position.

Thanks for everyone's input. I really appreciate everything. I took a video of the noise but can't figure out how to attach it he

Last edited by Kgalliher519; 04-16-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:29 PM

if it is an RCM failure the fuel pump is not getting power, easy check, put 12v on the power term of fuel pump, if the engine starts the RCM is bad(relay not energizing). probable fix is the solder job. Fuel pump located right rear underside under removable panel.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:23 PM

Fuel pump kicks on, can hear it running when you turn the key. I tried the solder trick but still didn't work. I probably missed something on it somewhere. Broke down and just ordered a new one. 144 for the module with next day shipping. Will update tuesday once I took it up if that makes it work.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:20 PM
Forum Regular
Question Re: Stumbled upon you guys while trying to fix my xfire

Originally Posted by onehundred80
This is the classic symptom of the SKREEM failure.
It is not the RCM, the plastic cover can hide faults, I am not sure what you mean by this. That is like saying he cannot be dead because he has a good suit of armour on.

onehundred80 or ?; question please: is there any consensus or theories about likely or possible causes of Skreem failure? Thanks for pointing out that classic symptom.

Is it possibly a (common) manufacturing weakness/flaw in that part? Does our sister MB SLK 320 share this? Hopefully, most of us will not experience this particular problem. Thanks to all.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:35 PM

Update. New RCM didn't work, same issue that I was having. Towing it to the dealership tomorrow. Just in case it is the starter i bought my own since it was going to be $900+ through the dealership. They're nice enough to change it out with the one I bought since there's is so expensive. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Don't have any other security issues so not sure how it could be the SKREEM.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:21 AM

Update. New RCM didn't work, same issue that I was having. Towing it to the dealership tomorrow. Just in case it is the starter i bought my own since it was going to be $900+ through the dealership. They're nice enough to change it out with the one I bought since there's is so expensive. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Don't have any other security issues so not sure how it could be the SKREEM.
The three start and then a battery reset to do it all over again is the classic symptom of a SKREEM failure.
Read up about it here on the forum, just search SKREEM and see, there is one cure if that is the cause and that is a new module. You can buy this module from NeedsWings for $250 and it is plug and play.
Surrendering to the tender mercies of your local dealer will likely cost you much more as they will change everything before they get to the SKEEEM.
Read about the symptoms and lf your problem fits them, buy a SKREEM.
A starter probably costs more. How you settled on a starter I cannot figure out.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The three start and then a battery reset to do it all over again is the classic symptom of a SKREEM failure.
Read up about it here on the forum, just search SKREEM and see, there is one cure if that is the cause and that is a new module. You can buy this module from NeedsWings for $250 and it is plug and play.
Surrendering to the tender mercies of your local dealer will likely cost you much more as they will change everything before they get to the SKEEEM.
Read about the symptoms and lf your problem fits them, buy a SKREEM.
A starter probably costs more. How you settled on a starter I cannot figure out.
I did read through all of the SKREEM threads. My alarm does not go off, car doesn't start at all, and there is no check engine light registering. I had read about removing fuse 9 being a temp fix and that didn't solve the issue (not sure how true it is bit from what I read worked for a few people). When the key is in the "on" position you can here the starter click like it is trying to engage even though the key is not turned. All this leads me to the starter being the issue. Whether it's the whole starter or just the solenoid that's gone bad.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:57 PM

I did read through all of the SKREEM threads. My alarm does not go off, car doesn't start at all, and there is no check engine light registering. I had read about removing fuse 9 being a temp fix and that didn't solve the issue (not sure how true it is bit from what I read worked for a few people). When the key is in the "on" position you can here the starter click like it is trying to engage even though the key is not turned. All this leads me to the starter being the issue. Whether it's the whole starter or just the solenoid that's gone bad.
Good luck at the dealer as you will need it.
Tell him about the SKREEM though.

Quick Reply: Stumbled upon you guys while trying to fix my xfire