Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

New girl to racing needs advice from experienced racers

Old 05-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: New girl to racing needs advice from experienced racers

That sounds like a very successful outing to say the least. Yep, going slower to go faster always sounds kind of silly, but it's true. Do less work to gain more speed. Remember you're turning into a corner, not diving in. The least amount of turn to make the turn and then power out as you straighten the wheel. And... use the whole track... you paid for it!!! Lots of people have a hard time breaking the habit of driving on the right side of the track (or left in europe). Took me a while to get used to that too... and I still found myself not quite using the whole track from time to time.

Oh yeah, I don't know if they do a 'warm up' lap in XCross or not, but I have to keep training myself to drive the line I will drive at speed during the warmup lap. Very hard to do as the car seems to need more wheel turn to make a corner under higher speed. But, always try to drive the line you need to drive even at slower speed. Supposed to burn it into your brain I guess.

I'm so glad the brakes held up for you so well. Which porterfield pads did you end up running full race compound R4 or the street R4S?

Did you find the brakes stiffer with the new lines? I may well have to go that route this year too.

Most people at the track (regardless of 1/4 mile, XCross or road course) always seem suprised about the "Little Crossfire that could"

Cheers!

Last edited by MMZ_TimeLord; 05-18-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Jane and I'm glad fellow members helped you out. This thread has been very informative to all of us indeed! It really makes me feel great about being a member on here with all the great folks and advice! Thanks everybody!

Old 05-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MMZ: I used the racing Porterfields. Porterfield also custom made my brake lines. So, they now are going to offer the brake lines in their catalog, so call them. I thought the brakes worked really well with no mush. I even liked driving them on the highway. No squeak or noise. I started hitting the ABS more on Sunday since I felt I would have brakes left to drive home.

Putnam Park is a 1.7 mile course. In the warm up and cool down, I do my best to always drive the line, however, in the cool down, I'm really trying to stay off the brakes, so at times, I'm off line. I really worked on keeping MY line in traffic. Yet, enjoyed myself and didn't get to hard on my self if I didn't hit the line just right when I was alone on the track.

You are so right about the "little Crossfire that could." People do not know what's in an SRT6, but they sure look at me and smile after I'm done with my sets. I was one of the faster cars out there. Now of course, I know who to surrender to, such as a Z06 vette and there was a fast acura that initially I thought was a vette that I let pass. Otherwise, get out of my way boys. (not many girls do this.) So, I just stayed sexy and fast in my Crossfire.

Have a good Monday!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

JaneBridges,

Excellent! I will definitely be giving Porterfield a call on those lines later this year. At this point, it looks like I may not get to the track until October or November... *SIGH*

My biggest problem with the Z06 guys in the NASA events I run (HPDE 1 & 2 on road courses) is the fact that they mash the gas on the straights but are very timid in the turns. Almost as if they are afraid to hurt their 'baby'. It's usually taken care of after the first two sessions at most. The head instructor usually tells them "If you see a car on you through all the turns, let them pass in the passing zones, I don't care how much horsepower you have."

Keep stayin' sexy and fast in your Crossfire!