TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You should clear any codes even though the light is off as they will check for any codes stored and that would mean a fail I think.
I cleared the codes, took the car for the recheck and it failed. Was told that it failed because the car had not rechecked its self. I drove the car for 50 miles at 65 mph with my gas tank 3/4 full. It finally passed the test.

The following users liked this post:
goahould (10-03-2020)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

join

Last edited by Davis; 09-10-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone soldered in a new relay yet???

Old 10-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by wraith13
Has anyone soldered in a new relay yet???
Not that I have heard, it should not be too hard if you are adept with a soldering iron and know how to use a desoldering tape.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post550548

Once the contacts are burnt they will continue to get damaged from the arcing. When refinishing the contacts the surface should be as good as they were before. If the surface is just plated then they are probably burnt through the plating and probably ruined.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 PM

Ok how did you clean up the ground because mine actually was smoking for some reason wouldnt shut off and it shut off once i disconnected the sensor

Old 01-27-2013, 05:06 PM

A friend of mine, who was a proud owner of a 2005 Chrysler CrossfireRoadster (soft top), committed suicide a few months ago. His wife, who is strugglingwith her finances, asked me to help her sell his car. As soon as I got it cleaned up and listed onCraigslist / Autotrader (and on the street), the check engine light came on, althoughthe car still runs perfect. I took it toAutozone and got the following code/definition:

P0410
Definition
aa Secondary Air injection system fault

Explanation
aa The Air injection system is monitored for faults

Probably cause
aa1 Circuit relay defective or fuse open
aa2 Check connector and wiring
aa3 Air pump defective or hoses blocked

I’ve tried to follow these posts to see what the most popular solution isbut I’m still a little confused as to what I should try first. I’m not at all mechanicallyinclined but feel that I could follow some general troubleshooting directions if I knew what to try first.Hopefully, I will can get this fixed myself quickly so I can get it sold. Otherwise, Iwill pay for the fix myself before relisting it.

Is there a general consensus out there as to what the most likely issue is forthis error code? Or what I should try first?

Appreciate the help!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by acandcd
A friend of mine, who was a proud owner of a 2005 Chrysler CrossfireRoadster (soft top), committed suicide a few months ago. His wife, who is strugglingwith her finances, asked me to help her sell his car. As soon as I got it cleaned up and listed onCraigslist / Autotrader (and on the street), the check engine light came on, althoughthe car still runs perfect. I took it toAutozone and got the following code/definition:

P0410
Definition
aa Secondary Air injection system fault

Explanation
aa The Air injection system is monitored for faults

Probably cause
aa1 Circuit relay defective or fuse open
aa2 Check connector and wiring
aa3 Air pump defective or hoses blocked

I’ve tried to follow these posts to see what the most popular solution isbut I’m still a little confused as to what I should try first. I’m not at all mechanicallyinclined but feel that I could follow some general troubleshooting directions if I knew what to try first.Hopefully, I will can get this fixed myself quickly so I can get it sold. Otherwise, Iwill pay for the fix myself before relisting it.

Is there a general consensus out there as to what the most likely issue is forthis error code? Or what I should try first?

Appreciate the help!
Look at the relay control module for burnt and seized contacts.
Look for a bad earth at the wire attached to the front of the air pump.
Does the pump make any noise when the engine is started.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM

Just found the PDF instructions. I'll look into this and report back.

Thanks!

Last edited by acandcd; 01-27-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Click the link in my signature to go to a video link.. RCM..

Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 PM

Here are the pictures. Bases on the good and bad circuit board pictures (that I've seen on this site), this one looks pretty good, right? I couldn't find any black areas that would appear to need to be soldered. Also, the relays seem very clean as well. As for the wire to the air pump, where exactly is that located? Do I have the take off the metal engine cover to get to the air pump? I looked up what the air pump part looks like and I can't seem to find it. Like I said, not too mechanically inclined over here.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo1.JPG (622.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg
photo2.JPG (684.0 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by acandcd; 01-27-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

My son was getting this error code on his Crossfire. We cleaned the pump ground wire connection, but also found a couple of solder joints on the bottom of the Relay Control Module circuit board were bad. There were hairline cracks around the wire protruding from the solder joint. We heated them up with a soldering iron and added a little solder. We put the circuit board back in the car, and cleared the error code with the hand scanner. It's been over 7 months and the error code has not returned.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Toolman
My son was getting this error code on his Crossfire. We cleaned the pump ground wire connection, but also found a couple of solder joints on the bottom of the Relay Control Module circuit board were bad. There were hairline cracks around the wire protruding from the solder joint. We heated them up with a soldering iron and added a little solder. We put the circuit board back in the car, and cleared the error code with the hand scanner. It's been over 7 months and the error code has not returned.
I was just letting the owner of the car know of the check engine light issue when she told me that she remembered "her husband had to drive the car fast on occasion to get rid of the check engine light." Not sure if this adds anything to the conversation but I thought I would report it. Now I'm really lost.

By the way, where exactly is the air pump? I'm having a hard time finding it. I'm assuming I need to take off the metallic engine cover, correct?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Look at the picture in the very first post in this thread to see the air pump. It's top, front, and center of the engine just under the silver cover.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Toolman
Look at the picture in the very first post in this thread to see the air pump. It's top, front, and center of the engine just under the silver cover.
The brown wires are what get a corroded connection.
Put 'P0410' in the search feature here and see all problems like this.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-27-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:41 AM
Forum Regular

I had this error and turns out a the kid I let borrow my car put regular gas in it instead of premium. After I filled up, I cleared the code and it hasn't come back.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

[QUOTE=Selbyl;721286]I had this error and turns out a the kid I let borrow my car......[QUOTE]

IIEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa Nooooooooooooooooooo! Isn't there an unwritten rule against kids driving XF's?

Surely, these are LAWS?

Flogging with a handful of wet noodles is in order!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No child left behind.. Even if they can't read "Premium Only"...they still need a diploma!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
No child left behind.. Even if they can't read "Premium Only"...they still need a diploma!
Yeah I ended up having to explain what octane ratings mean and why my engine needs it. He said "Well I thought only new cars needed it."

I was pretty drunk when I gave him the key, and I remember thinking letting him go out with my car sounded like a better idea than me thinking I could drive to Taco Bell later.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:26 PM

My car failed the dang NYS emissions part of inspection yesterday, the p0410 code showed up secondary air injection system malfunction , and i have been trying to troubleshoot what was causing it. Well a few minutes a go while i was putting in a new check valve, because i thought that was the culprit, since quiet a few people solved their problem by changing that, i noticed the wires connected to the MAP sensor were cut! I think that may be the problem. Also the night before inspection i went to advanced auto parts to see what code was affecting my check engine light, and they told me that the code coming up had to do with the map sensor, and now that i see the wires are cut, it is starting to make sense. here are some pictures, any feedback would be appreciated!

PS: I also have been getting poor gas mileage, which is another symptom of the map sensor not doing its job

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited by john96; 08-21-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by john96
My car failed the dang NYS emissions part of inspection yesterday, the p0410 code showed up secondary air injection system malfunction , and i have been trying to troubleshoot what was causing it. Well a few minutes a go while i was putting in a new check valve, because i thought that was the culprit, since quiet a few people solved their problem by changing that, i noticed the wires connected to the MAP sensor were cut! I think that may be the problem. Also the night before inspection i went to advanced auto parts to see what code was affecting my check engine light, and they told me that the code coming up had to do with the map sensor, and now that i see the wires are cut, it is starting to make sense. here are some pictures, any feedback would be appreciated!

PS: I also have been getting poor gas mileage, which is another symptom of the map sensor not doing its job

They have been chewed, a chipmunk did the same to the headlight wiring on my old car the other year while building a nest.

Quick Reply: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?