Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Help! My Crossfire Roadster won't start!

Old 10-20-2012, 12:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help! My Crossfire Roadster won't start!

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Scan tool? DRBIII? pretty sure that's what you have to have to get where you need to.. OBDII if I'm not mistaken is only going to get you into the "top layer" so to say..Crossfire card on Ebay and your friends with the MB tools might be your best bet.. Hopefully others will chime in with experience in the electronic modules and accessing..
I already have and OBDII reader!!!

I got the Mercedes scan tool package from autoenginuity.com. Spoke to the folks and they confirm it provides full access to all data on the Crossfire from first hand experience. - OE-Level Coverage (Enhanced Interfaces)

Have a friend who swears by their products.

On a side note, RIP Big Tex - State Fair of Texas icon Big Tex burns up in fire; metal frame mostly all that remains | Fox News

Old 10-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw that on the news.. Cool deal on the scan tool package!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:29 PM

This is just a thought. I had my lawn mower start then stop running. I was told to change to a new gas. After new fuel it was fine. Gas now does not have lead, which helped keep it longer. You may have filled at a station with old gas. To all owners if you are going to store your Crossfire for long periods, put Fuel Stabilizer into the gas tank for the amount needed per gallon of fuel.
Always run the car for a few min to fill the fuel llnes as well.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by turkeyman
This is just a thought. I had my lawn mower start then stop running. I was told to change to a new gas. After new fuel it was fine. Gas now does not have lead, which helped keep it longer. You may have filled at a station with old gas. To all owners if you are going to store your Crossfire for long periods, put Fuel Stabilizer into the gas tank for the amount needed per gallon of fuel.
Always run the car for a few min to fill the fuel llnes as well.
I used 20+ year old gas in my whipper snipper that had sat around since the late eighties. It was a two stroke mixture from an old outboard motor, it worked fine. I finally used it all up this year.

My old Mustang has a half tank of leaded fuel in it and it ran just fine twenty five years after the tank had been filled, if I put it back together today I'm sure it would still run thirty five years after the tank had been filled.

Maybe this old gas lacks some of its original volatility, but it still works.

If you have old gas, send it to me.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:04 PM

OK folks, my super duper scan tool OE-Level Coverage (Enhanced Interfaces) that pulls the curtain from the wizard arrives tomorrow. Looking for anyone that has used a similar tool(s) for hints of wisdom for what to look for.

RECAP

Everything tried with BOTH keys, new batteries in keys, tested AOK main battery, and with the siren connected and disconnected. I have NOT dug into the vacuum module in the trunk as the thing is always garaged, the car hadn't seen water in months, and I did not want to tear out trim panels until I knew it was required. All the locks work fine via key fob, panic alarm does NOT, no chirp on lock/unlock but lights do blink. IF that module is bad, I suspect I will see a code when my tool arrives (input welcome). There are NO codes posted on a basic OBDII reader and no check engine light.

I've followed the guidance in https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post694205,
repaired this https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html, and followed the power cycle steps in these -
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...r-driving.html,
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tely-horn.html

I've PM'd CrossfireForum.org - View Profile: sccasrt6 to see if he had any of the diagnostic indicators that led him to replace the SKREEM

I've also been over to slkworld.com as they have many similar threads with similar scenarios. UNFORTUNATELY, the resolutions seem to never contain diagnostic information from the tools that can read all the information from the vehicle and may mean some expensive parts were needlessly replaced (or at least I hope that MAY be the case )

Are there any actual mechanics on this forum. On lxforums (for my Magnum), there are some that can help out with diagnostics.

Thanks again to all and I look forward to your suggestions AND providing a detailed report out of how this eventually gets resolved.

Last edited by vicki; 10-23-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:49 PM

Got my scan tool up and running and it reported a single P2071 code whether I set the scan to Chrysler Enhanced Powertrain or Mercedes SL or SLK.

Found this one reference to that code - https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ighlight=P2071

I just got done inspecting the RCM and did find another thing to look out for. If you've removed/replaced the fuses, check the underside of the module insert when you remove it. You may see the connectors to the fuses have actually pused away from the top. I pushed them back into place and could feel them slide on to the fuses. While I was in there, I also tried to clean the relay contacts with some contact cleaner. I also sprayed the connectors and the plugs then used compressed air to dry everyhting.

Interestig to me is the pattern is now 1 no start, 2 crank no run, infinity no start... Also been interesting to note that the default mode for the radio is ON after every time I remove/restore power!!!!

Any thoughts? Anyone know which relay is the fuel pump?

UPDATE, started the tests on PG 498 of the 2004 Service Manual and failed at step 2, no voltage on pin 3, repair fused engine relay control. All fuses good (tested continuity), all solder joints look good, ...

OH THE PAIN!

Last edited by vicki; 10-24-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Forum Regular

Subscribed. I'm currently having similar issues as well.

Got my scan tool up and running and it reported a single P2071 code
Another member got the same error...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post215547

Last edited by msheredy; 10-25-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by vicki
Got my scan tool up and running and it reported a single P2071 code whether I set the scan to Chrysler Enhanced Powertrain or Mercedes SL or SLK.

Found this one reference to that code - https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ighlight=P2071

I just got done inspecting the RCM and did find another thing to look out for. If you've removed/replaced the fuses, check the underside of the module insert when you remove it. You may see the connectors to the fuses have actually pused away from the top. I pushed them back into place and could feel them slide on to the fuses. While I was in there, I also tried to clean the relay contacts with some contact cleaner. I also sprayed the connectors and the plugs then used compressed air to dry everyhting.

Interestig to me is the pattern is now 1 no start, 2 crank no run, infinity no start... Also been interesting to note that the default mode for the radio is ON after every time I remove/restore power!!!!

UPDATE, started the tests on PG 498 of the 2004 Service Manual and failed at step 2, no voltage on pin 3, repair fused engine relay control. All fuses good (tested continuity), all solder joints look good, ...

OH THE PAIN!
Page 498, but what section?

Relay control module.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-25-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue. Dealer put in new camshaft AND crankshaft module last month after car died on the freeway. After 5 mile trip last week, went to start it and nothing....not even a click. Mercedes repair guy just called and said that his computer cannot read my car. 2005Limited with 54k miles andnoriginal battery. He is sending me back to the dealership.

any ideas? Thanx

Old 10-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Forum Regular

OH THE PAIN!
Any updates?

I'm pretty much in the same boat but my panic alarm still works. So I know it's gotta either be the RCM or what your findings come up with.

Just got pricing here in San Diego for the RCM (Relay Control Module) aka fuel pump relay.

MB Dealer Part #A170 545 03 05 is $201.60

Chrysler Dealer Part #5099007AA is $347.00

Freakin nuts how the cost varies so much and in MB's favor to boot!

Last edited by msheredy; 10-26-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Forum Regular

OH THE PAIN!
Here's another link that's similar

Start Error / Key Problem - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Doesn't seem to end well with this fellow either but hopefully his is just an isolated situation.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Forum Regular

**Update**

Car is back on the road

It ended up not being the SKREEM module but rather the door lock module part number 5099541AA. The best part about this was it was 400 bucks cheaper to fix! Grand total was $591.06. Much better than $1049.00

Old 11-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Red face Re: Help! My Crossfire Roadster won't start!

New guy to forum and new owner of 2005 Crossfire .. 6 months. Having trouble starting car. Key on, all dash lights illuminate, no clicking sounds (ie., solenoid), spoiler randomly deploys BUT engine does not turnover. Most times I will keep trying --- 4,5 sometimes 10 attempts and the car starts. Problem will not reoccur for a week or two then suddenly comes back with a vengence. Ironically when I've taken it to my trustworthy mechanic --- it starts! Any thoughts?

Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by DanFink
New guy to forum and new owner of 2005 Crossfire .. 6 months. Having trouble starting car. Key on, all dash lights illuminate, no clicking sounds (ie., solenoid), spoiler randomly deploys BUT engine does not turnover. Most times I will keep trying --- 4,5 sometimes 10 attempts and the car starts. Problem will not reoccur for a week or two then suddenly comes back with a vengence. Ironically when I've taken it to my trustworthy mechanic --- it starts! Any thoughts?
Have you checked the simple things like battery terminals and cables for corrosion also grounding. Also the starter motor for cable connections, the brushes in the starter may be sticking and not moving down to take up wear on the brush face(s).

Relay control module causes problems a lot. See 'Mystery no start' for that problem.

How old is the battery? That is bound to be questioned but not by me. LOL

How many miles on the car? Knowing that helps with possibilities.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-01-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:57 PM

THX, Will do all that you suggest. Car has 35K .. boughtit at 32K. Read some (thx teachers of the world) about keys. Only have one set ... wondering if ordering a new one with new programming in the future might be a legitimate chase down the path of troubleshooting. The "magic chip" not working properly seems plausable for lights, camera but "no action". Any thoughts? Oh, and the one key I do have has seen some physical (and recently verbal) abuse. Thanks again for any feedback. My trusty neighborhood mechanic has given me the shoulder shrug --- never a good sign.

Dan (the old Navy man -- 30 yrs!)

Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by DanFink
THX, Will do all that you suggest. Car has 35K .. boughtit at 32K. Read some (thx teachers of the world) about keys. Only have one set ... wondering if ordering a new one with new programming in the future might be a legitimate chase down the path of troubleshooting. The "magic chip" not working properly seems plausable for lights, camera but "no action". Any thoughts? Oh, and the one key I do have has seen some physical (and recently verbal) abuse. Thanks again for any feedback. My trusty neighborhood mechanic has given me the shoulder shrug --- never a good sign.

Dan (the old Navy man -- 30 yrs!)
If the keys chip did not work you could only try to start it three times before it stopped turning over and you would then have to reset the cars anti-theft feature.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Page 498, but what section?

Relay control module.

Page 498 of the manual. I went over to my forums for by Magnum and one of the guys there is a Chrysler mechanic. Sent him the info, he sent me the Chrysler notices on the problem, I put the car on a trailer and it's awaiting a new SKREEM module. Having the notices allowed me to make sure the dealership understood I knew that keys, ... did NOT need to be replaced and all the other superfluous work wasn't required. I'll post in my original thread once I get the vehicle back.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Page 498 of the manual. I went over to my forums for by Magnum and one of the guys there is a Chrysler mechanic. Sent him the info, he sent me the Chrysler notices on the problem, I put the car on a trailer and it's awaiting a new SKREEM module. Having the notices allowed me to make sure the dealership understood I knew that keys, ... did NOT need to be replaced and all the other superfluous work wasn't required. I'll post in my original thread once I get the vehicle back.
You mean page 498 of the PDF file I presume. That is not the manual page 498. Now I get you, big diff.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 PM

UPDATE Picked up the car from dealership in Auburn Hills, MI. Bill was only $402. It seems I have a new Door Lock Module, same part number as mentioned above. They state on the billing that they "removed cluster and skreem..tested essential power, ground and bus communication circuits. No problems found. Deemed internal module failure." Anyway, they too are blaming Mercedes for severing relationship with Chrysler and designing a really screwy security system. I'd rather the car be "stealable", then conk out on me when I'm 40 miles from home. This is my 3rd trip on a flatbed since mid September. New cam and crankshaft modules in September and now this little ditty.

I asked the mechanic to put his girlfriend in the car and send her cross country and see if he still had a gilfriend after that trick. No sense of humor, those dealerships.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Question Re: Help! My Crossfire Roadster won't start! Either!

Sorry, I tied into "my xfire won't start" and confused the issue. I'll be the "Either guy".

I did get the "3xs won't start would have to reset the anti theft system". Thanks I no longer suspect the key. I have an appointment at my favorite mechanic's place Monday AM. Now that this is a "repeat - no kidding does happen often problem" .. he and I are both hoping he'll be able to chase it to "power" logic.

However! Now that I've read this string I am concerned about future problems with the security system. Any way to disable the system completely or is it intricately tied into the computer logic?

Quick Reply: Help! My Crossfire Roadster won't start!