Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

SKREEM Repair Infomation

Old 08-28-2019, 06:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default re: SKREEM Repair Infomation

I found an FCA blog of sorts with a posting link to Mr. Jewett and sent him the stuff previously sent to Mr. Helan at the Detroit Free Press. Maybe he will respond. Maybe.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:53 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

On our network news here in Chicago they have stories sent in by the viewers asking them to investigate a story and expose a problem publicly in order to get the attention of a business etc
Might be some other sources here to share our story and be heard
Click the links below......

https://abc7chicago.com/need-a-story...-team/1519522/

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/368083721.html

Old 08-28-2019, 11:23 PM

I just got a note from Mark Phelan at the Detroit Free Press saying "I will look into this." Good news.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:47 PM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts

Hopefully, he really means, "I'm gonna stir up some s__t" !

Old 08-29-2019, 01:24 PM

I just sent my second letter, below, to Manley. And I heard back from Mark Phelan just a little while ago, he said he has contacted someone at FCA "who may be able to help." Progress perhaps. He's the first one to respond and follow up.

To:
Mr. Michael Manley
CEO - FCA US LCC
1000 Chrysler Drive
Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2766 August 29, 2019

Dear Mr. Manley,

I continue to attempt to contact you in the hope that you will help Chrysler customers that have been left in the lurch. I wrote you last week about the failure of FCA to stock and sell Crossfire Owners the vehicle specific SKREEM Ignition Immobilizer Modules we need to be able to start, operate and drive (or sell) our cars. Chrysler produced and sold 75,000 of these cars, every single one of which which cannot be operated or repaired if it has a SKREEM module failure.

This part is/was standard for the MB SLK that the Crossfire is based upon. It was produced by SIEMENS as part # 1708201826, and is still produced and stocker in the MB parts system, but unfortunately because the part is “theft related” and our Crossfires have Chrysler VIN numbers which the MB computerized parts system will not recognize, they cannot sell them to us. Anyway, the unit that will work in my car must have a special code inserted, a code that only Chrysler has. No code, no tickee, no washee. Everyone I have tried to contact at FCA, and the three local Chrysler dealers I have visited, have either not answered my S.O.S. offered asinine solutions such as”try the aftermarket” or told me they can order me one if I pay an inflated price for it, in full, at the time of ordering it, non-refundable, and no ETA for the part.

I read that you have an engineering background, and made a big success for Jeep in your former role. I hope that your knowledge of engineering means that you understand that your customer owners who bought, paid for and are now left sitting with cars that are usable only as lawn ornaments, and that the only way to get these cars back on the road is if Chrysler sells us the specific part we need.

I’m 81 years old and running short of time. I can’t afford to keep licensing and insuring a car I can’t use. How about getting me, and the other Chrysler customers that need these parts - and they are many - what we need. I attach here a short video that shows just how simple a repair this would be if we just had the properly coded part.

http://www.needswings.com/skreem-and-antenna-ring

I’m so desperate’ I’ve ordered and paid for a part from Needswings. If I walk in the parts department door and have an MB VIN they would sell me this module for $270, and I’d have it in two days. If I go to a Chrysler stealership they want about $550. for it, pay up front, non refundable, same part, and can’t tell me twhen I might get it. I ordered and paid for one from Needswings when they thought they would have them “soon”, but now their web page (see above link) says no ETA, and they do give a refund if Chrysler does not code and supply a part.If servicing your customers with vehicle specific parts is a pain in the *** to FCA you should not use them, or perhaps have some aftermarket firm like Needswings handle it for you.

The MB’s parts system said they recently had 600 of these units in their parts worldwide inventory. How about you personally call up your counterpart at MB and ask him to do you a favor and loan you a dozen or so of these modules and get whoever it is in Chrysler who does this to program in the code and ship them to me and Needswings and the other people who need them? A small thing for you to do, a big help for us, and a nice “Chrysler Cares” item for the automotive press and public.

Please act to correct this problem, now.

Thank you.

Anyone else stuck in this situation - there's the address.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:27 PM
Received 352 Likes on 311 Posts

Maybe if he received 10,000 letters from concerned Crossfire owners he would respond?

Old 08-29-2019, 08:23 PM

ZERACER - I think 10 letters would do it if they get to the right person.

Here's what I sent to Mark Phelan at the Detroit Free Press today. Hopefully he can get it to someone that can help.

Mark Phelan
Auto Writer
Detroit Free Press

Dear Mr. Phelan:

This is the second letter I sent to Michael Manley. It went by snail-mail today. So far, despite many attempts to contact someone at FCA, I’ve heard nothing. You may send any of my
stuff wherever you think it may do some good. Here’s a point I would like to emphasize:

This is a unique situation because this SKREEM Ignition Immobilizer Module is a vehicle specific part and needs a code that only Chrysler can provide. Every Crossover owner/driver can be subject to “instant jeopardy” and significant financial loss as long as Chrysler does not make these parts and codes available. I drove my car into my garage, and when next I went to start it - nothing. No start, no drive, nothing. No one seems to know why these units fail, but if it was an MB SLK I could go to an MB dealership and they could get a properly coded part in a few days, or take a blank one off the shelf and code it right there. With the mechanicaly identical Crossover, I am left with an inoperable, unsaleable lawn ornament. Every single Crossover owner risks being stuck wherever he goes, with no remedy available, and FCA does not seem to care.

Drive to the mall, shop, come out and if the SKREEM module craps out - and nobody seems to know why this happens - you’re stuck looking for a tow truck. Tow it to the nearest Chrysler dealer and they can’t help you. They can’t get the part and/or code from Chrysler or Mopar. Go on vacation or to visit Grandma or the kids, and if you are a thousand miles from home and this happens - what can you do?

I can’t fathom why FCA doesn’t jump on this opportunity to do something positive for their customers. It will cost them nothing. Owners want to buy these parts. Some even want to buy a spare to take with them, so they have it “just in case.” FCA is in business to manufacture, sell and service cars and trucks. They claim that Chrysler care “Is there for you, night and day. That’s bullshit. This fiasco has been going on for a long time, and they have not addressed it.

So, I’m not a lawyer by I think I can find one that will get interested in this case. When other companies can’t manufacture aftermarket modules because they don’t have access to the codes required because FCA won’t give them to them, is this restraint of trade. When FCA charges twice as much for the same part that MB dealers have, is that price-gouging? I don’t want to get involved in all that, but I guess I will if I have to.

I have a nice car, the littlest Chrysler, and can’t use it. I can’t sell it. I know how to fix it in about one hour, but FCA won’t provide the part or code for my car. I would think that Mr. Manley, with his business acumen and engineering background, iff informed of this situation, would immediately step up and get this corrected. Getting this to him seems to be a big problem. I know he’s got a lot on his plate, but if he reads my letter and delegates an aide to get this done, it should be a two minute involvement for him.

Here’s what I mailed to him today:

Mr. Michael Manley
CEO - FCA US LCC
1000 Chrysler Drive
Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2766 August 29, 2019

Dear Mr. Manley,

I continue to attempt to contact you in the hope that you will help Chrysler customers that have been left in the lurch. I wrote you last week about the failure of FCA to stock and sell Crossfire Owners the vehicle specific SKREEM Ignition Immobilizer Modules we need to be able to start, operate and drive (or sell) our cars. Chrysler produced and sold 75,000 of these cars, every single one of which which cannot be operated or repaired if it has a SKREEM module failure.

This part is/was standard for the MB SLK that the Crossfire is based upon. It was produced by SIEMENS as part # 1708201826, and is still produced and stocker in the MB parts system, but unfortunately because the part is “theft related” and our Crossfires have Chrysler VIN numbers which the MB computerized parts system will not recognize, they cannot sell them to us. Anyway, the unit that will work in my car must have a special code inserted, a code that only Chrysler has. No code, no tickee, no washee. Everyone I have tried to contact at FCA, and the three local Chrysler dealers I have visited, have either not answered my S.O.S. offered asinine solutions such as”try the aftermarket” or told me they can order me one if I pay an inflated price for it, in full, at the time of ordering it, non-refundable, and no ETA for the part.

I read that you have an engineering background, and made a big success for Jeep in your former role. I hope that your knowledge of engineering means that you understand that your customer owners who bought, paid for and are now left sitting with cars that are usable only as lawn ornaments, and that the only way to get these cars back on the road is if Chrysler sells us the specific part we need.

I’m 81 years old and running short of time. I can’t afford to keep licensing and insuring a car I can’t use. How about getting me, and the other Chrysler customers that need these parts - and they are many - what we need. I attach here a short video that shows just how simple a repair this would be if we just had the properly coded part.

NeedsWings Performance Products. Crossfire SKREEM and Antenna Ring

I’m so desperate’ I’ve ordered and paid for a part from Needswings. If I walk in the parts department door and have an MB VIN they would sell me this module for $270, and I’d have it in two days. If I go to a Chrysler stealership they want about $550. for it, pay up front, non refundable, same part, and can’t tell me twhen I might get it. I ordered and paid for one from Needswings when they thought they would have them “soon”, but now their web page (see above link) says no ETA, and they do give a refund if Chrysler does not code and supply a part.If servicing your customers with vehicle specific parts is a pain in the *** to FCA you should not use them, or perhaps have some aftermarket firm like Needswings handle it for you.

The MB’s parts system said they recently had 600 of these units in their parts worldwide inventory. How about you personally call up your counterpart at MB and ask him to do you a favor and loan you a dozen or so of these modules and get whoever it is in Chrysler who does this to program in the code and ship them to me and Needswings and the other people who need them? A small thing for you to do, a big help for us, and a nice “Chrysler Cares” item for the automotive press and public.

Please act to correct this problem, now.

Thank you.

Last edited by wolfstalker; 08-30-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:46 PM

I contacted an old buddy from high school today. He had a long career in law and was a to litigator for a major law firm, now retired. Hopefully he will be able to connect me with a lawyer that will take an interest in this issue. I also visited another nearby Chrysler dealer and while they couldn't help me to get a part, they said this issue has existed for a long time. Crossfires that have been towed in with this problem have been towed away again. I wonder what the total financial loss for this situation of no parts, no codes has cost Crossfire owners so far.

Hi Russ -

I hope you and Patty Jane are both well - perhaps up in New Buffalo enjoying the summer - such as it is. I’d hoped to see you at Judy’s but you didn’t make it. Oh well...

So I have a problem, and wondered if you might be able to suggest a lawyer I might contact regarding a potential class action suit I am looking at initiating. Let me tell you what it’s about.

In the late 90s the German firm Daimler - parent of Mercedes Benz acquired Chrysler in what was then calle “a marriage of equals.” Well, for a variety of reasons that didn’t work out, and the more powerful equal, Daimler, divested Chrysler by selling it to an outfit called Cerberus, based in Canada, They too lost their *** and eventually sold it to Fiat, which created a new company called FCA - Fiat Chrysler of America, owned mostly by Fiat. When Daimler and Chrysler were still on their honeymoon they created a slick little two-seater - the Chrysler Crossfire that came in both a fastback coupe and roadster version. A few years ago I bought a little yellow Crossfire roadster, which is currently parked in my garage where it has been sitting for many months because Chrysler can’t or won’t provide a “vehicle specific part called a SKREEM - a cig pack sized little module that just seem to stop functioning whenever it chooses. Without this ignition demobilizer module with a Chrysler controlled code number for my specific car, the vehicle is useless - won’t start, won’t run, can’t be driven or even sold. This thing stops and the car is suddenly essentially worthless.

Daimler Chrysler built 75,000 of these cars in 2004-2008 and sold them through Chrysler dealers. They were built in Germany by Karmann of Osnabruck, under contract. Essentially they are the mechanicals of a German Mercedes-Benz SLK - the little convertible that made for many years and maybe still do - under a Chrysler designed body. They used the MB ignition and security system used in many MB cars. The part that I can’t get is in their parts computer but Crossfire owners can’t buy one because their system will not accept a Chrysler VIN. The part has to come from Chrysler with a vehicle specific code installed as it is a “theft related part”, and Chrysler is unable or unwilling to supply the part. Owners can’t get the part from MB (which charges $270. for it while Chrysler, when they had it, charged $550.) If I go to a Chrysler dealer - and I’ve tried three, they want full price paid up front to order it with no ETA for when I can get it.

So everyone of that big bunch of Crossfire owners still out there stands to have a totally inoperable car that they may still be paying for or already have a sizable investment in if totally inoperable and worthless when this part fails. And they do fail. Lots of Chrysler owners complain, but FCA does nothing to supply the part and only they can put the code in if we could get the part. Siemens made these parts, and still does. I have been told they have approx. 600 showing in their parts inventory, but we can’t access them or the code that Chrysler controls. Is this restraint of trade or something else that has legal grounds for getting this situation corrected?

I drove my car and parked it in the garage prior to my operation last October. When I got out of the hospital I went to start it and nothing. I looked around, gathered info and found this to be the cause. An aftermarket supplier in Michigan used to be able to get them, so I put my name on the list and paid him $710. for it, but again, no ETA for when it will be available. In the Manley letter below there is the URL for a little repair video that they have on their website that shows what a simple fix this is, if you have the part. It clearly shows the module, the Siemens name and even the MB star, as the MB dealers use them to fix the MB SLKs (and probably other MBs as well.) I ordered and paid $710. for one of these from them when it seemed they could get them, but now their web page shows no ETA.

Well, needless to say I’m mad as hell. I tried to contact the Chrysler Customer Care people but they don’t have a clue what I’m talking about. I contacted the MOPAR division (Chrysler parts) and they don’t even answer. I wrote to Michael Manley who, since Sergio Marchionne died last year is the head of Fiat Chrysler America,heard nothing back. I contacted the Detroit Free Press writer that covers the auto industry and he is interested, and checking around to see if he can find someone that can help me/us. Every time any Crossfire owner drives anywhere they can be in immediate jeopardy for instantly having a useless car and losing their investment because the car is not repairable without this part and the secret Chrysler code. I stopped at another Chrysler dealer today to inquire what there answer is, and they have none, but did tell me this has been going on for a long time and if anyone brings a Crossfire to them with this problem, the cars just leave on a tow truck. I’m sure it’s the same story at all Chrysler dealerships - they blame Chrysler (now FCA) for not getting the parts in stock and making them available as Daimler Chrysler did before. It seems to me that Chrysler, whatever they call themselves now, can’t evade the responsibility for providing this part and the code for each car that only they have.

So, could you suggest a lawyer I might go to with this problem? Could this be a class action suit? Would you know of someone who would write a letter to FCA and threaten doom if they don’t fix this PGQ? It seems to me that since the part is still made by Siemens for MB, they ought to be able to get some form somewhere. I was hoping some big firm like Mayer Brown would get interested - pro bono of course - but what do I know.

So, here’s my letter to to Manley, the CEO of FCA. It’s my second - No answer yet on either one.

Yesterdays letter with link to Needswings video was attached.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:05 PM

Valk: I sent a synopsis of the problem to ABC in Chicago today as per your suggestion. I'll let you know if they contact me.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:05 PM
Received 402 Likes on 345 Posts

In my opinion, it would be so much better if they can find a way to totally disable this boat anchor SKREEM. Eliminate the damn thing.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:14 PM
Received 566 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

In my opinion, it would be so much better if they can find a way to totally disable this boat anchor SKREEM. Eliminate the damn thing.

Disable the SKREEM and there goes any security given by the key chip. Maybe the insurance would go up as it could then be hot wired. These days cars are getting to complicated.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

Grahite Ghost: Wish that was possible, but the techs I know that service MB cars tell me that would require changes in the main computer as well. I found a dealer that ordered and received two SKREEM units that arrived properly programmed, but the customer did not take them. So that dealer has been trying to send them back to FCA but they refuse to take them. I was hoping to buy them from him and send them back to Chrysler and have them recoded, but where would one send them? If somebody at FCA with some authority would simply order or otherwise acquire some units and put them in their parts system then we would at least to buy them from Chrysler properly coded, and install them Many owners could do this themselves or have a mechanic install the part.

There are two problems here, the lack of parts in the MOPAR system and the inability of anyone but Chrysler to properly code them. Prive they charge is a separate issue. That seems to be simple price gouging. Hopefully they will address that too.

This snafu seriously puts ALL Crossfire owners in jeopardy whenever they drive their cars, around the block or across country. Every Crossfire owner should be aware of this precarious situation. Should Chrysler send every registered Crossfire owner and every repair facility a bulletin saying "If this module fails you're on your own. We won't help you." Would that make the value of a Crossfire plummet? Would they have any value at all? Maybe. Would FCA do that - I doubt that. But we all need to be aware of this situation. If a normal part breaks, you can go to the stealerrship and order one. If they don't have it you can go to an MB dealership and order and get one.
Right now, they can't take our VIN into their system, and access the codes, so they can't repair tham This "vehicle specific" need for a code that only Chrysler has makes that impossible. And aftermarket suppliers, if they were to produce an alternative unit would be in the same boat - you'd still need to go to Chrysler to get the "secret" code. To me, this smacks of restraint of trade.

Chrysler contracted for the manufacture of this car. 75,000 of them were sold worldwide. Now, every single Crossfire owner is in jeopardy of being left standing with their car wherever it is, the next time they attempt to use their car. If this fails, and no seems to know why they do, the vehicle becoming instantly inoperable, with no way to repair it. If you were told this was the situation would you buy a Crossfire? Would anyone?

I was driving my car. It is well maintained. I needed a steering damper, dialed up Worldpart at the shop, and I got it in a few hours. Popped it in and I was back on the road in under an hour. No problem. Didn't even have to get it from MB - who wanted a lot more for it. But with this vehicle specific situation, I can't do that.

Seriously, whenever one of these units fails, you're stuck. Nothing you can do. Chrysler dealers don't want these failures brought to them - they can't do anything without the properly coded part. This smacks to me of a clear case of restraint of trade. Chrysler doesn't stock the part, keeps the codes unavailable - no one else can make them because they can't access the codes, so you're instantly screwed. Call for a tow and try to get a ride home, then go buy another car because you can't use yours. Can't afford to do that? Tough luck. Buy another car. Would you buy another Chrysler? I doubt it.

Hell of a way to run a company.

I would think Chrysler would jump on fixing this situation. I don't even know how these things get coded by Chrysler. All I know is that, right now, Crossfires are potentially worthless. My car was functioning perfectly when I parked it in the garage. After my first operation I went out to start it. I had a battery maintainer on the one-year old Interstate battery I bought last year, and it has power. But the SKREEM module crapped out and now I'm stuck with no way to repair it. Anyone of us could be in this situation tomorrow. We need to force FCA to get these parts back in the system.

Last edited by wolfstalker; 08-30-2019 at 06:06 PM. Reason: omission and corrections
Old 08-31-2019, 12:30 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

wolfstalker-- Thank you so much for tackling this problem as you are. I have often wondered why it didn't get more discussion here--especially with the recent "unavailable due to change of supplier" statement by Needswings and my local dealer regarding replacement keys (I didn't ask about SKREEMs.) Some of my thoughts on the subject as I have often wondered when, due to the crazy electronics, our cars would become garage decorations:

1. I have heard that manufacturers are only required to keep replacement parts available for a period of 10 years beyond the model year of the vehicle. With that in mind, I wonder if there is already a trade law in place that alleviates Chrysler of any legal responsibility in the case of our Crossfires. Hence, my desire to do away with the complicated SKREEM and VIN-specific keys altogether.

2. The security system for these cars is needlessly complicated and, at this point in the life of the car, owners should be able to down-grade it if they choose. I bet the security system at Fort Knox is no match for a Crossfire anti-theft system. I would like to see a way to bypass the SKREEM, because if we just do a simple parts replacement to keep the same convoluted system working, in a few years it may go out again-- will the parts be available at that time? Or will a change in management/suppliers/people who care render the parts unavailable AGAIN? I would think that since human electrical engineers created the crazy system, they can also come up with a way to bypass it or at least make it less complicated--such as a replacement module that confirms there's a key being used (not hot-wired), but doesn't care what the VIN is--in other words, a replacement system that does not need each key to be VIN encoded because the system does not need to send encrypted VIN-correct messages to the ECM, just a simple "start signal." (From reading earlier posts, there was a concern about losing the theft protection...but honestly, that's the least of my worries...these cars are not THAT valuable.) Another thing about the current system is some lock-up "feature" that the crazy engineers built into it that will, after 30 tries to start the car with a bad SKREEM, lock up the ECM or PCM and the only option according to the dealer is to replace the ECM. In summary, we need a replacement module that does not need to be sent out for programming--just plug and play.

3. Replacement keys that cost $500-$700 is insane--which are unavailable at this point due to a "supplier change". It's price gouging due to the proprietary coding that needs to be done. Again, way too complicated and should be done away with if the owner chooses.

4. In surfing the 'net on this issue, I ran across this thread in the Mercedes Sprinter discussion forum that shows a company called "Green Diesel Engineering" (GDE) which specializes in tuning the Sprinter diesel, has made a program that bypasses the SKREEM. I sure wish someone would do this for the Crossfire.

I might add more later, but let me know what your thoughts are on the above if you would. Thanks!
Scott

Old 08-31-2019, 12:48 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfstalker
I just got a note from Mark Phelan at the Detroit Free Press saying "I will look into this." Good news.
Ever hear back?

Old 08-31-2019, 01:21 PM

Guys - I'm well aware that without either access to replacement units or a bypass module the cars can be rendered worthless at a moments notice. I think their refusal to either stock parts and promptly deliver them at a fair price is unfathomable. Why wouldn't they want to keep selling the parts when there is a steady demand? Why don't they solve this situation by ordering some from Siemens and putting them in inventory. They have surely been a profitable item for them in the past as is their installation at the dealerships. Who knows why they don't fix this problem when it can be done so easily.

Now that upper level management is aware of it they can't say they didn't know. So refusal to correct this snafu is now deliberate, not just a matter of some issue "falling through the crack." By not doing this when they know about it they are deliberately harming their customers who are in instant jeopardy of suddenly finding themselves with a worthless car. If they won't fix this when we are just asking, then we will need to demand they do it, or suffer the consequence of the potential loss of sales publicity could bring about.

If/when the media looks into this it may spur them to action. I've been left with a car I can't repair and use since 2018. This had been a problem they left unaddressed for years. Maybe social media can bring this to the attention of the car buying public. Maybe a publicity campaign along the line of "BEWARE! Chrysler can screw you just like they did 75,000 others who bought a car from them." or "FIAT CHRYSLER AMERICA SCREWS VETERANS WHO BOUGHT FROM THEM."

I've been asking nicely, hoping to inform them of a problem they might not have been aware of, but recent research, lots in the Forum archives, proves this has been a serious issue for a long time. Complaining to a dealer is useless - they, in a way, are also being harmed as they lose this repair business.

We need to keep hammering away at them. Anybody who wants to copy my stuff and send it to local media, or local TV Tip Hotlines, be my guest. I don't use Facebook or Twitter, so I can't do much there. Don't even have a smartphone - still with the clamshell. So any of you that want to spread this wider, feel free.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:36 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I hear you. But, bottom line, you are just asking FCA to give some customer service when they aren't obligated to (the 10-year thing I mentioned.)

They and all auto manufacturers have seen it before with countless issues on their cars. What makes you think your situation is different? There is always the junkyard supply for used parts, they will say.

Everything is a business decision these days. Gotta keep the stockholders happy by making sound business decisions. And they may decide the relatively small number of Crossfire owners that would give them bad publicity is not enough to bat an eye over.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:42 PM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts

I've been asking nicely.
Yes, you have. I have posted in other threads that I think your approach has the most likely chance of success.

Once you bring lawyers into it, I am SURE, you (we) are done.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:04 PM

Gentlemen - found this online:

"There is no law requiring parts to be available for 7 years, 10 years, whatever. Depending on the restrictions the car maker places on any of its intellectual property rights, that supplier [who may have designed that part itself] may choose to continue making that part for sale through independent retailers." I also saw something about being required to keep them available for the expected life of the vehicle. I always thought this "10 year sunset provision" was an urban legend. Anyone know if this purported law is supposed to be Federal, state, local. Anybody seen it, or know where to look?

Anyway, the issue with the SKREEM units is "special" because since Chrysler controls the codes for individual vehicles, if aftermarket manufacturers of MB dealers or even owners can't get them, they are restricting trade in these parts. And besides, these parts must be being produced as MB dealers have them.

Now Needswings had them early last year. They were getting them from Chrysler and shipping them to customers in "plug and play" condition. Customer comments show they worked, and the customers were satisfied. I ordered and paid for the SKREEM module and antenna ring, $710. Maybe Chrysler should get some more and use Needswings as the supplier to those who need them direct. But of course Chrysler probably won't want to supply 75,000 codes to Needswings. Lawyers would probably nix that.

Personally, I don't care to engage or deal with lawyers. But I want my car in operable, salable condition. I have not been able to use it since last November, so Chrysler, by not providing the part/code for my car, is causing me the loss of my vehicle and essentially rendered it worthless. They did this to me, I didn't do anything except buy and pay for a car sold by them. If you guys won't challenge this, that's your business. In that case I'll just make this "me vs. them" and just try to get one for my own use. If I get it, I'll install and get it running and try and sell it, because I now know that I will be in constant jeopardy of this happening again and finding myself with a car that FCA is just abandoning. They are making this choice - not me.

Personally, I will never stop trying to solve this. Never. One more time. Never.

When I ordered and paid Needswings for the set of parts their web page said something like October 15th for the ready date. Now it says "No ETA", last time I looked. I know this is not their fault, but I want someone in authority at FCA to understand what they are doing to all Crossfire owners and how they intend to remedy this situation. This secret code - who does that belong to - FCA or the person that owns the Crossfire it is intended for? That's a legal question that needs to be resolved. Can FCA simply say that the expectant life of my car, or yours, or all Crossfires is over? I don't think so. I want the part coded as only Chrysler can deliver it, and now I'm starting to think that I should be compensated for the time my car is rendered useless and worthless bu their negligent action. Maybe all Crossfire owners are entitled to similar compensation. Chrysler's precipitant action is simply letting our cars become useless because they won't supply the coded parts is doing an injury, or a potential injury, to us all.

You can give up if you want to. I'm not like that. I want FCA to stand behind their products and correct this problem ASAP

Old 08-31-2019, 05:01 PM
Received 566 Likes on 475 Posts

I have said before that I believe Chrysler has sold the rights to the codes to a third party who has decided to get a good return on investment while they can. We have to face the fact that after twelve to fifteen years most models of cars will have been scrapped because of rust, usage or accident.
If you had some rights to the average car models you would have slim pickings to profit from.
Needswings has no liability to inform us where they are purchasing these parts so I could be wrong in my assumption and like most they will add a certain percentage of their part cost to determine the final consumer cost. Therefore the higher the cost the higher their profit, that’s just business and good luck to them as they want to stay in business.
They did warn us of an impending price rise, and some of us took advantage of the chance to get the part on sale. I too would like to see the SKREEM replaced or cheaper as how long mine will last is impossible to say.
I suspect that in some cases the part that fails is a cheap item but to find the problem would cost time and money and in some cases it would be found that the info stored had been corrupted. If the motherboard on your computer fails you just toss it and upgrade the computer in most cases.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:02 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Valk: I sent a synopsis of the problem to ABC in Chicago today as per your suggestion. I'll let you know if they contact me.
I appreciate this
I see stories frequently with consumer complaints and the media gets involved digging into the problem and trying to expose it publicly
I'm not sure the story here would be considered since it only pertains to Crossfire owners but it's worth the try
I'm not good at wording the problem and well as you have so I'm happy you reached out on our behalf
Did you send it the NBC as well

Gary

Quick Reply: SKREEM Repair Infomation