All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 10-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Originally Posted by Ed Mahoney
just aired up the tires was surprised how much they where down with out light coming on ! Did the Harley tires to, very low on air !!! Must be that cold weather we have here ? Not much ridding time left in good ole Indiana !!! : (
I have noticed the same thing with tire pressures on the Crossfire, by the time the light comes on all 4 are low at least 4-5 lbs. I usually check mine every 4-6 weeks just to bee sure. Tires are too expensive for these cars to leave anything to chance that would negatively affect tire wear...

Old 10-20-2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
So did the dielectric grease on the TCM contacts / connector solve your transmission issues?
Well, I hate to give the answer because it will sound stupid. But here it goes:

First of all I don't think there was any kind of water issue in the passenger floor. It was beautifully clean and dry looking. No evidence that it had an issue. But I did the dielectric anyway because it couldn't hurt I figured.
I did drive around the block afterwards and it SEEMED fine. Didn't act as bad as it had the previous day. But I was only in the car for 3 mins. So....not so sure how accurate that is.
Anyway, have a friend with a transmission shop. So he is gonnna check the level for me
since I haven't had the chance to make a dipstick yet... lol... not have a temp tool.
The part that will sound stupid is: I only did the dielectric grease on the TCM under the carpet. And on another post there was mention of a connector at the transmission that I do not know where it is, nor have the ability to reach, so if there is corrosion there I dont know. Lol

Old 10-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a pair (rear) of Michelin Pilot Sports on our car!

Last edited by lildaddym; 10-21-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:04 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SRT6GRL
Well, I hate to give the answer because it will sound stupid. But here it goes:

First of all I don't think there was any kind of water issue in the passenger floor. It was beautifully clean and dry looking. No evidence that it had an issue. But I did the dielectric anyway because it couldn't hurt I figured.
I did drive around the block afterwards and it SEEMED fine. Didn't act as bad as it had the previous day. But I was only in the car for 3 mins. So....not so sure how accurate that is.
Anyway, have a friend with a transmission shop. So he is gonnna check the level for me
since I haven't had the chance to make a dipstick yet... lol... not have a temp tool.
The part that will sound stupid is: I only did the dielectric grease on the TCM under the carpet. And on another post there was mention of a connector at the transmission that I do not know where it is, nor have the ability to reach, so if there is corrosion there I dont know. Lol
You are correct . . . the dielectric grease can only be used on the TCM prongs and its wire connector (found mounted on that plate under the passenger side floorboard). The connection at the transmission is an entirely different animal. You should only be concerned about that if you see a transmission fluid leak (commonly the o-ring on the connector part) or if you end up having to go into the transmission to replace the conductor plate inside the transmission.

I experienced an issue on one of my cars where the transmission would intermittently go into limp mode. I replaced the conductor plate and it STILL had the same problem. The eventually found solution was to remove the TCM, clean up the prongs and apply dielectric grease to the prongs and the wire connector. The issue never returned.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

getting ready to run my friend in Orlando, maybe that is,,,,, here is what he did this weekend..
Mike Therber put his gorgeous 69 AMX in the final with Lee Neal’s Mike thompson racing Engines ATF equipped Xtreme S-10. Therner took a holeshot .025 to Neal’s .106. That a big gap to make up in a tight class like 10.0 Index sporting 52 cars in class this weekend. Neal’s 10.007 was a good effort but not enough to get under Therber’s 10.029 run. Fellow 10.0 racer Allan Kremkau builds the Hearbeat engines machined AMC powerplant. Mike dedicates this win to his brother Paul who passed 12 years ago.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I think he may have you JIM......but I somehow don't think you will mind losing to an AMX.....lol

Old 10-21-2014, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I think he may have you JIM......but I somehow don't think you will mind losing to an AMX.....lol
very true doc.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
All Jim needs is some 4.88 gears, bigger slicks,..............and maybe a scoop.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:32 PM

You are correct . . . the dielectric grease can only be used on the TCM prongs and its wire connector (mounted on that plate under the passenger side floorboard). The connection at the transmission is an entirely different animal. You should only be concerned about that if you see a transmission fluid leak (commonly the o-ring on the connector part) or if you end up having to go into the transmission to replace the conductor plate inside the transmission.

I experienced an issue on one of my cars where the transmission would intermittently go into limp mode. I replaced the conductor plate and it STILL had the same problem. The eventually found solution was to remove the TCM, clean up the prongs and apply dielectric grease to the prongs and the wire connector. The issue never returned.
Thanks Bob for that Info. So today I watched MORE videos and did some MORE research I now know where the connection at the transmission is

I took it to the transmission guy to look at. I still have not had a CEL and neither did he. He did get it into limp mode though. Checked the code then even without CEL. Would not throw a code under model of car so tried Mercedes and still did not throw the code. Under "generic" for vehicle he got a P0715. He also wrote down Turbine Sensor SSA. Idk if he says that or the tool said that. So it looks like a sensor issue. Of course he wants $450 to fix it so I am gonna be doing MORE research tomorrow. .. lol

eta: upon further research it seems to me that the sensors are ON the conductor plate. So if I change the
conductor plate HOPEFULLY that will fix it since the TCM seemed dry and clean and it still acted up
with dielectric grease on it.... guess the only diagnostic I can do is to try and let another XF use my TCM
and see if it bonkies him up to prove whether or not its my TCM....

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I on the right track?
Thanks guys
Tracy

Last edited by SRT6GRL; 10-21-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:25 AM

Swapping your TCM with another crossfire to see what happens is a good diagnostic thought.

Are you absolutely certain that your transmission fluid level is good? What exactly are the symptoms you are having with the transmission? $450.00 seem just a bit high to install a new conductor plate but not really too far out of line if that quote includes all the necessary parts and fresh transmission fluid. You can get the conductor plate on E-Bay including a new transmission filter, pan gasket and a new connector piece for $156.40. I've bought from this seller before . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Transmission-Conductor-Plate-Connector-Filter-Gasket-722-6-ALL-OE-/400746773893?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4e5e7d85
Then ask your transmission guy how much to drop the pan and do a transmission fluid change . . . and while he's "in there" already, change out conductor plate . . . See if you have a local repair shop that specializes in Mercedes vehicles and get friendly with them. They'll be familiar with your transmission and will likely be a better choice to work with in the long run . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 10-22-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
I replaced one of my keys to a new case a couple weeks ago, but now my spare key will only unlock the door, it will not start the car anymore ; (

Did you move the rfid chip from the old key fob case to the new one? It usually is under a dab of glue in the case. Lots of posts about swapping a replacement fob case, you HAVE to move the chip over to the new case.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

I got the N/A tune from Jerry at Eurocharged today. At first after flashing I received an error message stating that some packets had not been installed properly and to re-flash the software. However, it was mentioned on the included instructions that this message in 95% of all cases can be disregarded and won't need attention or another flash. (Just wondering if any of you received the same error message).

When it comes to the feeling of the car I am stunned. I was able to take the car for a spin on the highway and I can honestly say that was the best $$ I have ever spent on any car. It doesn't only run fast, it also runs super smooth and responsive. I can highly urge anybody with our Crossfires to contact them and have this very simple update done.
I was planning on updating Throttle Body and CAI at some point but I almost have to say the car now performs like I want it to and even though I wish they would have come like this stock, it put a smile on my face I'm freshly in love again

Old 10-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by nickwe21
I got the N/A tune from Jerry at Eurocharged today. At first after flashing I received an error message stating that some packets had not been installed properly and to re-flash the software. However, it was mentioned on the included instructions that this message in 95% of all cases can be disregarded and won't need attention or another flash. (Just wondering if any of you received the same error message).

When it comes to the feeling of the car I am stunned. I was able to take the car for a spin on the highway and I can honestly say that was the best $$ I have ever spent on any car. It doesn't only run fast, it also runs super smooth and responsive. I can highly urge anybody with our Crossfires to contact them and have this very simple update done.
I was planning on updating Throttle Body and CAI at some point but I almost have to say the car now performs like I want it to and even though I wish they would have come like this stock, it put a smile on my face I'm freshly in love again

Just be sure when you do the TB (74mm) that you have the tune reflashed with the one for the TB upgrade. Also, if you do a CAI, the same applies, you have to have the tune reflashed (upgraded) for the MOD. Each mod needs a comparable reflash. Remember to let eurocharged know every mod you have each time you call so you get the right updated flash. Have fun!

Old 10-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Just be sure when you do the TB (74mm) that you have the tune reflashed with the one for the TB upgrade. Also, if you do a CAI, the same applies, you have to have the tune reflashed (upgraded) for the MOD. Each mod needs a comparable reflash. Remember to let eurocharged know every mod you have each time you call so you get the right updated flash. Have fun!
Yep I researched on the forum and am aware. Will definitely get it reflashed as soon as I upgrade (if I do)! More than happy with what the tune did thus far!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 PM

Swapping your TCM with another crossfire to see what happens is a good diagnostic thought.

Are you absolutely certain that your transmission fluid level is good? What exactly are the symptoms you are having with the transmission? $450.00 seem just a bit high to install a new conductor plate but not really too far out of line if that quote includes all the necessary parts and fresh transmission fluid. You can get the conductor plate on E-Bay including a new transmission filter, pan gasket and a new connector piece for $156.40. I've bought from this seller before . . .

Mercedes Transmission Conductor Plate Connector Filter Gasket 722 6 All OE | eBay

Then ask your transmission guy how much to drop the pan and do a transmission fluid change . . . and while he's "in there" already, change out conductor plate . . . See if you have a local repair shop that specializes in Mercedes vehicles and get friendly with them. They'll be familiar with your transmission and will likely be a better choice to work with in the long run . . .
Thanks for the link. The guy is a friend of sorts. So it was $200 for labor. And $250 for parts. Having watched several videos it seems like $200 is a bit steep for the labor. BUT...he has a lift and I don't! Lol... so I guess I will get back in touch with him and see if he will use parts I bring and that will save some money. How many bottles of fluid do you need? I have seen so many posts about the fluid. Use this, no dont use that, use only MB, no I liked Mopar, Amsoil rules. ...lol.... what did u use?

Old 10-23-2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by SRT6GRL
Thanks for the link. The guy is a friend of sorts. So it was $200 for labor. And $250 for parts. Having watched several videos it seems like $200 is a bit steep for the labor. BUT...he has a lift and I don't! Lol... so I guess I will get back in touch with him and see if he will use parts I bring and that will save some money. How many bottles of fluid do you need? I have seen so many posts about the fluid. Use this, no dont use that, use only MB, no I liked Mopar, Amsoil rules. ...lol.... what did u use?
Hi Tracy, The link I provided will get you all genuine Mercedes parts. I would not put any aftermarket parts in the transmission. You don't want to be going back in there again. As for the ATF I would use the original Mercedes / Mopar transmission fluid. When you drop the pan to do a transmission fluid change, not all of the fluid is drained (there are several quarts that remain in the torque converter) so I would not recommend "mixing" the fluid types. Just stick with the original Mercedes fluid (or Mopar labeled fluid). It's not cheap but worth the peace of mind. Buy about 6 quarts so you'll have plenty. Please let us know how you end up.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:14 PM

Went to steak house in Bronson MI. Bro-in-law said "Did you see that guy stare at your car at the stop sign, he never even looked at my Vette"!!!!!!!!!!! Life is good!

Old 10-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Got to love that...............so, is it a good steak house. I am in that area a lot it seems

Last edited by oledoc2u; 10-26-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Finished installing my DIY DCAI a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to taking some pics while at the Daytona Beach Dream Cruise this weekend.

DSC00671.JPGDSC00673.JPGDSC00674.JPG

DSC00675.JPGDSC00676.JPG

Mike S

Old 10-26-2014, 09:15 PM

wished you had called me before you built it , it does look good, but you will need to install some 3" pipe inside the blue hose on each side of the rad support it can go inside /not seen or sticking out of the hose. ,at wot after about 50 yards ir will collapse on you
or you could get the HD black hose from Needswings it works. jim

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?