All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What made you buy your Crossfire

Old 09-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why did you choose the Crossfire?

When I saw my first Crossfire Roadster along side of me, I said I've got to get one of those! Also, it was the MB 450SL I never got, when I was in my 40's. Yup, Love at first sight!

SF

Old 09-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3. Price for power. For it's speed, handling, and reliability, this car tops.
2. Styling. I had always admired this car at the dealership, so when I found one I could have, I couldn't pass it up.
1. Dusting little boys in their Hondas...ohhh yeahhh.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Forum Regular

I loved the look of the car when it first appeared but never seriously considered it because of it's small size and high price. But when my local dealer featured it new for less than $20K new...wow!

I wasn't really even in the market but I thought, "less than $20K for a Mercedes sports car with a show car body !!!", I went right out to my dealer for a test drive. At first my wife thought I was nuts but even she could understand what an incredible VALUE the Crossfire represented at the heavily discounted price.

Sure it's a tight fit but I love this little car; no regrets !

Cincinnati Slim

Old 09-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sidez
I don't know personally I never really saw cars like g35, honda s2000, mustang, nissan z in the same category as my car, but that is maybe cause I have the srt-6... or cause I would have still bought the same car if it was still at it's sticker price.

The cars I saw in my category are more like Cayman, boxster, low end 911, SLK, Z4 M, and similar cars of this range...
That's quite the odd category system, but I understand your point when you only consider the SRT6.

The Audi TT, Lexus SC430 and MB SLK are the only real competitors to the Crossfire. The Boxster, S2000 and Z4 M are in a class of their own while the Cayman, 350Z and G35 are in the same class. The 911 buyer isn't really looking at any of these cars.

This point is further proven by looking at SCCA classification. Crossfire is in D Stock while the SRT6 is in A Stock.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by AimeeJ
3. Price for power. For it's speed, handling, and reliability, this car tops.
That title will always belong to the Corvette.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Forum Regular

Because it gets me laid? Just kidding... because the car is outstanding for the price and I wasn't even in the market for a car.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:22 PM

Well, I loved the car when it came out, but was disappointed with the power for price ratio. But then the SRT-6 came out! I wanted one, but the price was too steep. I ended up getting the car pictured below. I ordered it from the factory and received it with 0.5 miles on the odometer. It was a great car, but I still caught my self gawking at XFires. Then the G started having some pretty substantial mechanical issues. It was a model-wide problem and I didn't want to wait until a recall came out, so I started looking for new cars. That is when I discovered the major price discounts on the SRT-6s. I ended up owing a grand less on my SRT-6 with less miles than I had on the G.

beachg.jpg

Old 09-17-2007, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by AimeeJ
1. Dusting little boys in their Hondas...ohhh yeahhh.
o ya, I left that out on mine.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by BltByKrmn
That title will always belong to the Corvette.
haha... corvette? reliable? your kidding me. i'm anti-corvette, even tho my bf and boss have them... way to common. why not buy a mustang gt at that point? haha.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by blond xo
haha... corvette? reliable? your kidding me. i'm anti-corvette, even tho my bf and boss have them... way to common. why not buy a mustang gt at that point? haha
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and not *completely* tear apart everything you just tried to say and just chalk it up to ignorance.

But I will gladly correct you. The Corvette is by far one of the most reliable sports cars you can buy, I can guarantee you have nothing factual to back your claim of unreliable up. It has a world class design and constantly tears apart cars that are 3x it's price.

The Mustang is not even remotely close to the same category as the Corvette, not really sure what you're trying to prove with that little quip. What it does tell me however is that you're prone to badge whoring and probably haven't driven many sports cars.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 469 Likes on 327 Posts

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and not *completely* tear apart everything you just tried to say and just chalk it up to ignorance.

But I will gladly correct you. The Corvette is by far one of the most reliable sports cars you can buy, I can guarantee you have nothing factual to back your claim of unreliable up. It has a world class design and constantly tears apart cars that are 3x it's price.

The Mustang is not even remotely close to the same category as the Corvette, not really sure what you're trying to prove with that little quip. What it does tell me however is that you're prone to badge whoring and probably haven't driven many sports cars.
I have to agree with BltByKrmn with this one. I had a Z51 Corvette convertible for 7 days just 2 weeks ago and put 1,020 miles on it. It was the most powerful and stable car I have ever driven. I have driven Vipers and even Ferrari's but found this Corvette to be the best american muscle car ever made. When the pics come back on the forum go to my gallery and have a look. Sure there are Corvettes all over the place but they are excellent cars

Old 09-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 469 Likes on 327 Posts

The story behind the Crossfire begins in the spring of 2004.
I was driving home to the suburbs from Chicago on the expressway when a beautiful shiny black car went past me so fast that I didn't even know what it was. At that point though I had to find out because it was so impressive. I was driving my Explorer 95 mph trying to catch up to this car which I finally did only due to traffic which slowed this most awesome car down.
I got a look at the back and saw one word "Crossfire". As soon as I got home I went to my PC and did a google search and found out what I saw. I went to work the next day and started talking to others about the car I had seen and nobody was familiar with it. Well days passed and I basically forgot about it. Then in April this year I had a need to buy a sports car. I had no idea what I wanted other than a cool little sports car. I have been driving a Explorer for 7 years and needed a change. I went to the carmax website and there it was A CROSSFIRE. My memory was restored back to that evening in the spring of 2004.
I knew now I had to have one. I don't even recall seeing one on the road since that day in 2004. The one at Carmax sold before I could even buy it but I then found my 04 SSB Coupe with low miles and one previous owner and I bought it on the spot. The rest is history.
I have had it now for 5 months and driven it 7,000 miles and LOVE IT !!

Oh ya by the way I still have my Explorer and plan to drive that when it snows and when the roads are sloppy otherwise my Crossfire will be a year round car.

Last edited by Valk; 09-17-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Forum Regular

I can't even remember now but I'm glad I did.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that Corvette's are very reliable but every once in a while you hear a horror story about some of the older models such as the C4. I like the Corvette alot and the only reason I would not buy one is the exclusivity factor, I see many of them out and about on the road, much more than Crossfires. However pick up the newest copy (October) of Car and Driver and read the article comparing the new revised C6 model Corvette Z51 to the new Viper. The Corvette wins the comparison test and C & D rave about how the next step up in terms of price/performance is almost three times more expensive!

On another note I bought my XFire for previous reasons stated, i.e. exclusivity, MB craftsmanship/quality, safety, looks, and performance. But it truly was one of those things where after looking at countless previous generation Mustangs, older Corvettes, Z3's, MR2 Spyders, etc. I fell in love with the car when I saw it sitting on the lot. It's hard not to.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:25 PM

What it does tell me however is that you're prone to badge whoring and probably haven't driven many sports cars.
Ignorance? Hardly, you own a crossfire, you're simply on the outside looking in on the corvette issue. You have paper facts, i've driven corvettes; stock, supercharged, slightly modified... i can't even count how many times i've been to A&A corvette, i've even been to their BBQ... so my opinions are not ignorance especially in comparison to you little piece of paper telling you your facts.

i test drove the 2004 corvette before I bought the crossfire. Did not like it at all. It was an automatic, the drive was very spongy, and the car just felt heavy. It was very slow to accelerate and nobody gives the car a second look. I understand it (supposedly) has power and is pretty practical.

Badge whoring? Your kidding? I drive a chrysler! And i've driven many of sports cars, in addition to that i'm in a viper or corvette 70% of the time.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Forum Regular

Moved to the Shenandoah valley here in Va from Chicago, came down here with a Jag, and closest dealer was 2 hours away. But I wanted another convertible, Mustangs were out, I think they drive like tanks. - don't like Vettes to never have, no reason just don't.
Looked at Boxers; both Audi's; Mercedes but again closest dealer is an hour away, then came across a Xfire and WOW! - it's almost as good as my old Audi Cabriolet and I can get it fixed here in town. That's what did it! No regrets, car is a blast.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Forum Regular

My story is similar to Valkryderguys'...

It was around July of 2004 when I saw my first Crossfire. I was stunned by the beautiful and unique car that I had only caught a brief glimpse of. But I saw enough of it's back end and the tell-tale Chrysler winged emblem as it pulled away to get home and hit Chrysler's website. After seeing that it wasn't anywhere near the 60K price tag that I anticipated. Now knowing the Mercedes heritage behind it and getting a better look at some pictures, my interest was piquing.

Then I saw another one on the road. This time I got a good look and immediately knew that one day I would have to have one. A year later, I did.

In a nutshell, I bought this car primarily for its look.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by midnightman
In a nutshell, I bought this car primarily for its look.
ditto... saw it at detroit and knew i would own one.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by blond xo
Ignorance? Hardly, you own a crossfire, you're simply on the outside looking in on the corvette issue. You have paper facts, i've driven corvettes; stock, supercharged, slightly modified... i can't even count how many times i've been to A&A corvette, i've even been to their BBQ... so my opinions are not ignorance especially in comparison to you little piece of paper telling you your facts.

i test drove the 2004 corvette before I bought the crossfire. Did not like it at all. It was an automatic, the drive was very spongy, and the car just felt heavy. It was very slow to accelerate and nobody gives the car a second look. I understand it (supposedly) has power and is pretty practical.

Badge whoring? Your kidding? I drive a chrysler! And i've driven many of sports cars, in addition to that i'm in a viper or corvette 70% of the time.
You think because I own a Crossfire right this minute it's the only car I've owned? :lol: I've probably owned more cars in the past year than you have in your life.

Yea, these are pieces of paper.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:16 PM

You think because I own a Crossfire right this minute it's the only car I've owned? :lol: I've probably owned more cars in the past year than you have in your life.

love the mag rims... of course you've owned more cars, i haven't even been driving for 2 years...

Quick Reply: What made you buy your Crossfire